1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being a Control Freak, JVG Leads Rockets to Nowhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JWhaley, Nov 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He did a good job. And any coach who can kick Dallas' butt that bad you gotta like at least a little bit. The substitions were right on and I liked his courtside demeanor better. Last year with the mistakes Yao made he would have been cursing him out on the sidelines. But last night what I saw was a man constantly talking to his team and coaching. Sometimes a screaming is necessary but if you scream too much eventually the players can't even hear you.

I like the new and improved JVG. The only thing I would like to see is Vspan get a few minutes of real game experience because down the stretch of the season he could become very valuable. But I can't even argue that with the way Alston was playing. Great victory and good team play and good coaching.

JVG Score B+. Lets see if he keeps it up.

2. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Do my eyes deceive me? OMR handing out some kudos to the coach? :p

I was at the game last night and the whole team played well and I must say that the crowd did a great job of raising the energy in the building. We were booing the Mavs and cheering really loud for the Rockets. Great win!

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Typical young hot head thread. JVG is a very good coach, and very good defensive coach. So he frowns..so what? YOu think there's not a lot frowning up in big d today? They got whipped every way possible. Avery J will not be a very pleasent guy to be around I can tell ya that!!! You want him for coach instead?

And one more thing, I am SO SICk of this, V span needs more time, Yao needs more touches, JH needs to sit down, bonzi wells has a problem with jvg,,,you people don't really have clue what you're talking about. JVG is looking for the right mix, obviously we have, as I stated, the deepest rockets team I have seen in 30 + years of hanging with the boys. It takes a few minutes to figure out where the hell people need to be to realize that potential. JVG gone by all star week? You are crazy!!! People need to give time to see what is going to happen..too much instant results thinking. Bonzi is going to be a frekin locomotive off the bench, Snyder is unexpectantly active but now he's with a team that wants him to play full tilt, Rafer is coming into his own, and if that means T mac has an average year and we totally kick butt in the hardest division in the league..then will you be happy??

4. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

At the game - gawd the fastbreaks Rafer and Head, etc were just awesome and FLYING - JUST FLYING!!!

AND WE ****ED DALLAS NO LESS! THE ARENA WAS ROCKING, IT WAS LOUD AND ALL OF US WERE HOARSE BY 3RD QTR.

RED ROWDIES ARE GREAT PEOPLE. A GOOD FRIEND HARRASSED MAVS FANS OUT BY THE BAR - THANKED THEM FOR USING THEIR MONEY TO SUPPORT THE ROCKETS BY BUYING TICKETS.

I TOLD ONE BERY BEAUTIFUL WOMAN WEARING A DALLAS JERSY - IT'S TOO BAD YOU HAVE THE WRONG JERSY ON - AND I SMILED. SHE ATE HER CROW AND SMILED AND MOVED ON. LOST HER OPP TO HAVE A 51 YR OLD OUT OF SHAPE EX-STUD. BUT HEY! WE WON BY 31. CLICKING ON ALL PISTONS.

THE PASSING, ASSISTS, MOVEMENT, SHOOTING, YAO TAKING ALLEY-OOPS, FAST BREAKS. IT ALL WORKED.

Sorry to be annoying with caps but THAT IS HOW I FEEL.

HOPE IT LASTS. :D

5. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Utah game,,,,,FIRE Van Gundy...

Dallas game,,,,,Give Van Gundy GM status and contract extension....

New Orleans game,,,,Fire Van Gundy!

You guys are really getting worked up about a team that is definitely talented but a work in progress. They will get it together. The Dallas game was no fluke, they can be really good this year, but will not be great in every early game. More than half the roster is new this year.

Patience my young padowan....

6. OddsOn

Lets not forget it was a back to back game situation guys.
    I saw a stat from last year that San Antonio who only lost 19 games lost something like 10 or more games in the second of a back to back. And they had the same roster as the year before.

So lets not get so worked up things just yet. We have to let the players work through these things as we know they are capable of. And yes JVG is aware of them and I'm sure coaching them to improve in these areas.

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

The Utah and NO games were also not flukes. It is too soon to know ifit is a pattern, but through three games, the Rockets have definitely looked lackadasical and (among other things) poorly coached and poorly prepared more often than not.

The clock is not quite down to "zero," but Mr. Van Gundy has done nothing through three games to give himself any more time. *tick* *tick* *tick*

8. OddsOn

So I guess Lebron and the Cavs were also poorly coached when they lost in a back to back against Charlette after beating the Spurs? :rolleyes:

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

The Cavaliers are 2-1, and never fell behind by double-digits in their loss to the Bobcats. There is a difference between "tired legs" (which [a] is *still* an excuse, and shouldn't be happening this early in the season) and the effort the Rockets put on the floor on Sunday.

That terrible preseason drone of a commercial told people to "bet on us (the Rockets)," and that if one liked "effort and hard work," the Rockets would be the ones to give it. Through three games, Mister Van Gundy's bunch have shown neither of those traits in their losses, and one that had wagered on seeing them would be out a fair bit of change.

10. OddsOn

Nope you are right they only fell behind by as many as eight, they also led by as many as twelve. But by your own strict guidelines a loss is still a loss regardless of how you got there.

They looked pretty good on Saturday night against Dallas which as a loyal fan I was at the game to witness first hand.

I'm sure your rather draconian point of view would say that both Dallas and Phoenix are also suffering from bad coaching? Or how about the Lakers and your beloved Phil Jackson who lost the other nigth to the lowly Seatle Super Sonics by a blowout margin...obviously very bad coaching there and no "excuse" of a back to back game to fall back on. By the resons you stated above it must be...

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) What part of "in their losses" did you not understand?

(2) Good for you. My definition of "a loyal fan" is one who cares about the team. If yours is based upon how much money you can give to the owner, regardless of whether you agree with (or even consistently enjoy) the product on the court, so be it.

(3) Dallas hasn't looked good so far. Neither has Phoenix. Coaching must take some of the responsibility. However, both head coaches have contracts beyond this seasons, and have been out of the first round recently enough that they have some slack. Mr. Van Gundy does not have that luxury.

(4) The Lakers didn't look good in their loss. However, they are 3-1.

One loss (or win) could be a fluke. Two becomes a trend to be concerned about.

12. E Wizzle

E Wizzle Member

Can you think of two better players to give the ball? Let's face it, teams will swarm those two with defenses whether they have the ball or not. There's nothing JVG can do about those two being amazing offensive players and deserving of first dibs at the ball. The Bulls have to switch things up since they don't have anyone on their squad who can really shoulder the scoring load of a star for the entire season. Ben Gordon is best for doses and Kirk Hinrich hasn't really wowed me with his individual offensive game (his defense and passing are superb though.) Luol Deng is much more of a complimentary scorer in the capacity of a 3rd option. And imagine if JVG actually started to go to the role players before Yao and T.Mac. I'd have the feeling our offense will more resemble last year and you'd be back at the table complaining.

Don't delude yourself. Mike James only cares about himself and used us as leverage to get more favorable terms with Minny. Not to mention, there's a 100% guarantee of you b****ing that James is taking shots away from McGrady and Yao if he had stayed. Alright, say we kept James and he abandoned us like the w**** he is. We're left with a PG position that has to be filled with trash (and Head is NOT a PG and is almost as inconsistent a shooter as Rafer.) As of right now, we have a good playmaker. Is Rafer an especially good shooter? No, but he's decent and has the range.

And don't you think three creators are plenty enough?

13. Roxer

Roxer Member

Let Larry Brown take over JVG !!!

14. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

In all seriousness...alot of these guys posting act like women.... Looking for reasons to complain, and sh*t.

We are f*ckin 3 games into the season. Get over your emotional outpourings. It's embarassing.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

man, i wish we had rep points to hand out....

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Still responding to EDC...people never pick up on this guy for some reason.

17. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Jeff Van Bagwell is the best coach in the history of the NBA...Rockets win!

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not even 5 games into the season and edc is already in midseason form.

19. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

now thatt would be awesome!

i use it on other forums and it's cool.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

::::BUMP::::