1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beijing Authorities to Ban Blacks and Mongolians from Bars During Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Jul 18, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean like when that crazy dude in Virginia Tech killed all those people, that all of South Korea felt shame? while everyone here knew he was just a crazy kid and had nothing to do with Korea at all?

I understand I'm responsible for my actions not anyone elses.

2. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Nobody has ever claimed there is no racism in China. All kinds of discriminations exist in China, especially on the countryside. I have no doubt that people with different ethnic background or culture could encounter discrimination or even racism, in China or in any other country.

However, a government ordered policy to showcase racism in a world event as Olympics, to the whole world, is not only super stupid, but also irrealistic. You just seriously believe Chinese government would do this, AFTER so much effort and money spent to showcase "one world, one dream"? AFTER relaying the torch over the world, including Africa? AFTER China invited all athlets participating special Olympic free of charge for food and commondation? They will just tell black athlets, you are not going to get a beer because you are black, and that's Chinese policy?

#82 real_egal, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really? I remember another thread that would indicate otherwise and being called some very unflattering names in another thread for having the gall to suggest such a thing.

I can look it up if you would like.

4. jli

jli Member

That is why you are American and I am Chinese.

5. real_egal

Don't bother with your distortion.

You sir, has claimed multiple times, that "it's a known fact that people from China are racists." Labelling a whole nation, a whole ethnic group, as racists, that makes you a racist.

You, among all people, has the nerve to whine about name calling when you are called stupid, after your shameless open racist remarks. The Irony.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

I guess its making the news for no reason eh? (canadian article below)
    what about the ambassador to Grenada's son? is that a made up story too?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080718.wchina19/BNStory/International/home

Africans in Beijing harassed as Olympics approach

GEOFFREY YORK

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

July 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM EDT

BEIJING — Chinese police officials have forced some Beijing bar owners to sign secret pledges promising to prohibit blacks from entering their bars during the Olympics next month, a Hong Kong newspaper says.

The police denied the report Friday, and most bars denied any knowledge of the pledges. But many African residents of Beijing say they are facing harassment from police and discrimination from bars as the Olympics approach.

“Bar owners near the Workers Stadium in central Beijing say they have been forced by Public Security Bureau officials to sign pledges agreeing not to let black people enter their premises,” the South China Morning Post reported Friday.

It quoted the co-owner of a bar who said that a group of police had recently visited his establishment to order it “not to serve black people or Mongolians.”
    Paramilitary policemen hold the Chinese national flag in front of the National Stadium, also known as the Bird's Nest, at the Olympic Green in Beijing on Friday.
    Enlarge Image

Paramilitary policemen hold the Chinese national flag in front of the National Stadium, also known as the Bird's Nest, at the Olympic Green in Beijing on Friday. (Joe Chan/Reuters)
    Related Articles

Recent

* Beijing busy welcoming the world as it turns away its ethnic minorities
    * A jittery China awaits the Games
    * PM still firm on decision not to attend Olympics

From the archives

* IOC says it's time for China to deliver on promises
    * China seen as reneging on media-freedom vow

The Globe and Mail

In the famed Sanlitun bar district of Beijing, some bar owners have been required to sign pledges agreeing to ban a variety of activities, including dancing and serving black customers, the newspaper said.

Africans and Mongolians are often perceived as criminals in Beijing. Until this year, a number of young African men were openly selling drugs in the Sanlitun district, and many Mongolian women were working as prostitutes in the city.

Both groups are among the targets of China's security crackdown in the lead-up to the Olympics, along with thousands of Tibetans, Uyghurs, migrant workers, petitioners and social activists who are seen as potential troublemakers or protesters.

In a notorious incident last September, dozens of black people were detained by police in a raid on bars in the Sanlitun district.

Witnesses said the police rounded up all the black people they could find, up to three dozen in total, and beat some of them with rubber truncheons.

Grenada's ambassador to China filed a complaint to the Foreign Ministry, saying that his son suffered a concussion and needed hospital treatment after he was clubbed on the head by police during the raid.

Africans have been coming to Beijing for decades as university students or traders. But many were forced to leave China this year because of new visa restrictions that made it difficult to renew their paperwork.

In interviews Friday, a number of Africans said they are facing discriminatory rules from Beijing's bars and nightclubs as the Olympics approach.

A woman from Liberia, who is co-owner of a hair salon in Beijing, said she was outraged when she visited a popular Beijing nightclub and found that the entrance fee for black people was twice as high as for other foreigners.

Even if they managed to enter the club, the black patrons were prohibited from sitting at the tables, she said.

In another incident, she said, an African-owned bar was raided this week by police with dogs, and the customers were required to provide urine samples for drug tests.

“When the police come, you have to run,” she said. “I've lived in Holland and the United States and it was never like this. There's no human rights here. It's racist and it makes me feel very bad.”

If the police are now ordering bars to prohibit black people from entering, it is highly unfair, she said. “Every race has good people and bad people. You can't blame all blacks for drugs. If a person is not causing a problem, you shouldn't bother them.”

Two Nigerian businessmen said they were required to show their passports before being allowed to enter a Beijing nightclub last weekend. Black people who could not produce their passports were barred from entering the club, but other foreigners were not required to show their passports, they said.

“This had never happened before to me,” one of the Nigerians said. “I was very angry. This is racism.”

The Africans spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing more harassment from the police if they are identified. The Nigerians, interviewed at a bar, asked that the bar not be identified because they were worried that it could be raided if the police learned that Africans congregate there.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

are you responsible for Rush Hour 3?
    That movie wasn't very good.

You should feel shamed.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

To me the article got its information from a gossip with some bar owners, very sina-like.

On the other hand, if this is true, I tend to believe it's an idea of some higher up moron in charge of Beijing's security during the Olympics, rather than racism towards black people and Mongolians. Not saying Chinese are not racists, I believe everybody is, including those being discriminated against. China has its share of racism, but localism is probably more of problem than racism in China, and there is no prejudice against people of color in general in China, nothing like what is in North America.

BTW, I wouldn't be that surprised this is true.

9. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

lol, can't believe you guys are arguing about this.
    somebody is twisting the facts.

i can already see how translation can be used as a tool to make **** up.

first of all, about the mongolians. there are more mongolians living in china than mongolia. han and mongolian in china have never had problems before. i know some friends are mixed mongolian and han. my counsin is dating a mongolian girl as well. there is no way in hell there is a rule against mongolians. if you blieve that ****, you gotta be stupid.

secondly about africans. from what i've heard, there are a lot of drug dealers in china. an american friend of mine that lived in shanghai for a couple of years told me that, a lot of blacks he saw in the clubs and bars are very shady people. drugs dealers and such. not saying all africans in china are bad, most of them are students and workers. but the bad apples concentrate in bars. why? that's where business is. duh.

i have never heard any government rules against any race in public. they could be doing some shady stuff behind the scene, but i've never heard anything remotely close to racism in public. so there is absolutely no way this is true. you gotta be dumb to believe this.

all i can say is, somebody probably did some real bad translation if it's true. and chinese people don't live in a racially diverse world. people can be insensitive about this issue.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And yet, here we are, in a thread titled…

I can definitely say I am getting more than a little Schadenfreude from this thread. And not because of anything actually happening in China, but rather what is happening right here.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

well, they owe this dude a "OH MY BAD THEN"

12. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

i don't understand what the fuss is about.

the police go club chinese people all the time in crack downs.
    why do these people expect differently?
    if the police only clubs chinese, and not african/whites during crack downs,
    that's ****ing reverse racism them.

tips, when there is a crack down going on, don't go to ****ing shady places. you are asking for it.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Wow, if you have ever been to China, you probably find that Chinese are the most friendly people to foreigners on earth, no matter its nationality or race.

Don't get too excited. Reports fishing China's human rights problem might have some merit, but racism is not that big of problem in China. Mongolians are admired if anything by the Han. Well, that might be a stretch, but nothing like what racial tension is in America. Maybe that's hard to understand for people grow up here.

However, whoever came up with that idea, if it is true, deserved to be sent to live in Mongolia and Compton for a year as punishment. :D

14. lastmanstanding

15. real_egal

tinman, go back to every single blog and article you quoted, there is no different source, same exact quote and description as the South China Morning Post. It shoudn't be that hard to realize.

Like I said in my first comment in this thread, if it's about anything bad in China, some posters here will just jump up and down condemning it, no matter how shaddy some of the unnamed source gossips are, noone wants to ever question credibility of such things. Ironically, the same group of people will feel outraged if sina.com started some false rumors.

Feel free to believe whatever you want to, like I said, a great number of Amercians still believe they found WMD in Iraq and Obama is Muslim.

As for that ambassander's son, didn't he say that he was arrested during a drug raid at the scene, and who later was free without charge? This is racism to you? Furthermore, that is the only proof you need to believe there is official policy to ban Blacks in bar? You are a very tolerant person.

#95 real_egal, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  16. jli

jli Member

Has CNN picked up this news yet ? Just curious.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it hilarious that a tryannical gov't in China some how behaves completely morally according to ethnic Chinese.

I mean, China can do no wrong. It is always right. It could nuke the world and these guys would find a way to say it was right and all. Killing tibetans as they climb a mountain? that's ok. Discriminating against blacks? it's their fault! China is the most prestine place in the world. God forbid that the Chinese gov't would ever do something wrong!

No way, it's all lies. All westerns lie. All tibetans lie. All those who speak against China are liars.

China is god afterall!

I wish that just once some of the Chinese posters would be able to admit their country commits some injustices and this is bad and needs to change. But somehow I am not holding out much hope.

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Wow, this thread certainly took off since the last time I read.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

You know what, I never noticed it but that does look like what they do. I think all nations and their citizens are guilty of it at one time or another but according to what I have seen and heard Chinese citizens really think their country does no wrong. I wonder what the North Koreans think.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

the part where he got hit in the head probably was.

i guess its a case of "Oops we got the wrong dude... cause all y'all look the same!"