1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beijing Authorities to Ban Blacks and Mongolians from Bars During Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Jul 18, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so is this not a reputable paper?

Hong Kong's South China Morning Post

2. jli

jli Member

I don't know if you are lying. I just don't trust the so called unbiased western journalist anymore after the whole Tibet drama.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

4. jli

jli Member

BBC and CNN lie too. So what ?

5. tinman

Supporting Member

6. tinman

Supporting Member

These are Chinese bar owners who are talking to a Chinese Newspaper.

7. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

It was an honest question. If you've been to a bar in China, you would have been able to see African Americans or dark-skined people from other countries, right?

I personally went to bars in Shanghai and Beijing, with black and white colleagues in China branches.

8. real_egal

So you are claiming if the source is in China, or the source is Chinese, it must be truth? Start a fight with New Yorker and Sammy.

BTW, the South China Morning Post used to represent official voice of British government.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

why were you so quick to assume to know about my travels?

Originally Posted by real_egal
    tinman, you've never been to China

you know nothing about me except that I'm a Rockets fan.

10. real_egal

You removed the question part, did you? I was really surprised by that question, that's why I was wondering. Have you seen Blacks in a Chinese bar? If so, why would you ask that question? Just curious.

11. JustWannaChill

Now that the latest spin is that everything from sina.com must be true?

12. jli

jli Member

The report's name is Tom Miller. That does not sound like Chinese.

13. real_egal

Except for the willing "China-loving" American posters on this board, what averagely-educated oversea Chinese take sina blogs or rumors seriously? Ask around.

BTW, to me, every single news source is biased. No one can claim absolute objectivity and truthfulness, even the source from democratic beacons like US and GB.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Overall my visit to China was positive, the people I met were great people. I usually hung out where all the internationals did in Hong Kong. However there was one part of my visit that I haven't talked about and wish not to do so cause I know you guys like to spin things or whatever, maybe call me a liar. I already talked to freemaniam about it and that's about it. But yeah, it dealt with racism.

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

real_egal and jli - you are understandably defensive about their country. however, first of all you must admit that your government is capable and willing to commit "wrongdoing" in the eyes of western culture. Xenophobia may not seem like a big deal to you - perhaps it's even desirable, like those of you who are still angry at Japan. The fact is, racism is unacceptable these days. Promoting it inevitably leads to conflict and slavery or genocide. The fact is, if the West didn't keep a keen eye out on your government, you would all be dying of lead poisoning in your water, or toxic chemical spills, or some other of malicious crap that the government would be all too happy to let slide. You cannot deny that corruption was and is still a big problem in China, despite efforts to crack down on it. Efforts, mind you, that were undertaken in large part because of "Western journalist" scrutiny.

So have some respect for those who are improving your living standards.

16. jli

jli Member

I understand that. I just don't believe the Chinese government is that stupid. That is why I am questioning the creditability of this story. If this is proved to be true, I will be the first to admit that I am shamed to be a Chinese today.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

if it's true why would you be ashamed? you didn't do anything wrong. i don't think you are responsible for the olympic games.

18. jli

jli Member

That's something you Americans probably would never understand.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know why you think it is so out of character - Chinese government acts in heavy handed arbitrary fashion like this quite frequently. I don't doubt that there have been a substantial number of african drug dealers hanging around sanlitun in the past, and I don't think the Chinese cops are good enough to be able to separate out the drgu dealers and the regular guys and so they figured to err on the side of heavy handedness and harshness - that's the way they have in the past.

20. real_egal

Kokopuffs, you are pretty quick to jump to lots of conclusions without personally knowing me. PRC government is NOT my government, because I didn't vote for it.

The Chinese society survived 5000 years without West keeping a keen eye on them, 1.3 billion Chinese haven't died from toxic water.

PRC government, like any other government, does wrong things from time to time. A check and balance system is desperately needed. With growing Internet users and modernized society, free speech is improving. It's far from perfect, but not every single word from Chinese or Chinese government is a lie, nor is it absolute truth.

Racism is never ok to me, any racism towards any ethnic group should be condemned.

Respect is earned not simply requested. One thing I can tell you is, after being called "thugs and goons", and after the whole circus around the Olympic torch, for the first time, I flipped channels to FOX as well, besides CNN and BBC. The demage, especially the reputation and so-called noble version of improving democracy from certain Western media, will take a long time to repair, among average Chinese.

Please show some respect to common sense and intelligence from average people, even ethnic Chinese.

Jli,

If PRC government did something terribly wrong, or any other Chinese people did something similar, you don't need to be ashamed to be a Chinese, but rather condemn the wrong doings.