1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beheaded Police Chief among 15 executions in Juarez

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Jan 21, 2009.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Is anyone else freaked out about this? Our southern border is one of the most dangerous places in the world. This is a much, much, much more dangerous threat to us than Iran, nuclear or not.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/01/20/New_police_chiefs_head_left_at_station/UPI-47911232502839/

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I guess I'll be cancelling my vacation to Ciudad Juarez.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've posted about the violence south of the border a couple of times, as a matter of fact, this isn't the first time the gangs have left heads (literally) at a police station

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

At least they are using ice? :(

6. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Eek...

Are those drug cartels targeting Americans? Is it just Mexican violence? I don't want to have my wedding in Mexico if it's that bad!

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Where are you heading now?

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Just like the gringos trying to keep the brown man from getting ahead in the world.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I know this news is scary but you've gotta be kidding me if you think this is a bigger threat than even a potentially nuclear Iran! At least these people to run around shouting "death to America" as a party platform!

10. BrooksBall

I don't know where my head is today. I'll think about it tomorrow.

11. BrooksBall

If you are ever faced with this decision, go straight:

[​IMG]

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

It's mostly targeted at law enforcement and rival cartels, tourists and regular citizens aren't in great danger but there's always the possibility of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But as far as weddings in Mexico go there is very little chance of something happening, most of this happens in border towns, tourist destinations are perfectly safe.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

There was an article somewhere the other day (I'll have to find it), that said Juarez was much more dangerous last year than Iraq. Scary

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I just drove through there a couple weeks ago (El Paso) and I was well aware of the crazy **** going on across the Rio Grande.

Needless to say I wasn't in the mood to get out of the car.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The whole border isn't that bad. I have a buddy who border patrols the Eagle Pass area and in some places, only two guys usually wear full Kevlar.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

So far, it hasn't spilled over much. El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US. As of October last year, Juarez had over 1000 murders, and El Paso had 13.

This isn't true for Laredo, though. Laredo is much safer than Nuevo Laredo, but Laredo does get cross-border gang fights.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

One thing is for sure. Virtually any killing of an American would make headlines in the Texas papers and probably nationally.

As a frequent traveler to Mexico these stories are troubling. On the other hand we have a lot of murders in America's big cities and our local "crime weather and sports" programming at 10 pm regales us with the daily murder, rape etc. in Houston.

18. Classic

Classic Member

Somebody needs to stop this. Paging Joe Horn to Juarez.