1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Becoming an About.com Guide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Feb 21, 2007.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I was browsing on about.com and found that they have several openings for "guides." I think guides get paid for writing, though I'm sure they don't get paid very much. Here are some topic areas I thought you guys might be interested in:

Link

Baseball
    Bowling
    China Online
    Conservative Politics, US
    Credit/Debt
    Customizing Cars
    Dallas, TX
    El Paso, TX
    Los Angeles
    Mandarin Language
    Manga
    Motorcycles
    STDs
    Taoism
    Weight Training

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

How Do Guides Get Compensated?

The basis of Guide compensation is year-over-year page view growth. As of 1/1/07, if your page views grow you will never make less than $725 per month and it's likely you'll make much more than that over time (in some cases we have Guides who earn in excess of $100,000 per year).

How Much Content Does a Guide Need to Create?

At a minimum, About Guides must publish two full-length articles every 14 days and update their blog one to three times per week. However, the potential for your GuideSite is really up to you. The more high-quality, relevant content you produce, the more you can earn.
    A Special Guarantee for New Guides (less than two year):

New Guides - Guides in the first two years of their contract - are guaranteed to make at least $725 per month, and it's likely that they will make much more than that over time.
    The Legalese:

All Guides are independent contractors and shall not be subject to the direction, control, or supervision of About.com regarding time spent or procedures followed in performing services hereunder. However, About.com is the final decision maker in regard to the produced product and reserves the right to request modification and/or modify the product to ensure, among other things, that it complies with quality standards. All Guides are responsible for all tax liabilities emanating from their payments. Guides are not eligible for any benefits from About.com and waive any right to them.

Please note: compensation earned by other Guides is not a guarantee of any kind that any other Guide who meets the minimum expectations will earn that much, or any specific amount. About.com offers this information as a means of sharing with applicants the potential compensation that they may earn. About.com reserves the right to terminate a Guide's engagement and/or change the Guide compensation model at any time for any reason, notwithstanding any information contained in the engagement materials.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

They actually can get paid pretty good. They start out around $500 a month but some guides actually make over $100,000 a year. I wish they had something I was qualified for at the moment but they do not.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Wow, it moved up to $725 a month.

5. astrorockette

astrorockette Member

I seriously need to remember to tell Astro to check this out. Sounds like something he'd love.

6. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Wow, thanks for the update on the money. That is better than I thought! :D