1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beaten Iraqi Woman dies in California

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by across110thstreet, Mar 25, 2012.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

words cannot express my outrage right now. Rest in Peace, Shaima Alawadi.

her killer must be found and prosecuted with hate crimes before he/she does this again...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4684525...lif-dies-threat-note-left-scene/#.T280kY7lqZp

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw this story earlier and was going to post it but you beat me to it. Very sad..

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope they get the killer(s).

4. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Hum. We'll what the evidence shows, I am somewhat suspicious of the note. It seems almost too easy, as if a clever killer(s) could have planted it to cover another motive.

At any rate, the FBI in 2010 listed 9 murders as hate crimes. Four were committed by whites/Hispanics and three were committed by blacks and two were committed by unknown race.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really? Which races are unknown to the FBI?

6. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I read the wrong column. Seven total hate crime murders with none committed by an unknown offender.

#6 gwayneco, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. across110thstreet

well it wasn't a murder at first, it was a brutal beating with a tire iron. again with the irrelevant statistics.

even if the assailant was connected to the victim, and regardless of whether a hate crime charge comes out of this if/when they find the killer, it shows a senseless act preying upon the prejudices and xenophobia which exists in this country.

very clever indeed

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

So sick...sometimes I lose faith in humanity

9. hairyme

hairyme Member

SERIOUSLY. What is WRONG with you??

If this was a black guy killing a white woman for racist reasons, you would not be questioning the event and trying to play internet detective. As long as you are hell-bent on the world's events fitting into your desired narrative, you will continue to live in a fantasy.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Need more facts.

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Going to have to agree with ATW here, though almost certainly for not the same reasons....one wonders where this sense of judiciousness has been in the past when he's made premature declarations about a particular story without waiting for verification (or lack thereof).

ATW not withstanding, it's sensible policy to wait until more details come forward. I feel the same way about the Trayvon Martin incident, and if the final altercation ends up being more complicated than the initial narrative being espoused by social activists, it weakens the entire debate about institution/social racism and prejudice that sorely needs to take place. As I've noted elsewhere, institutional prejudice existed long before Martin and anti-Muslim discrimination has existed before Alawadi.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I quoted a news article. And the news article you quoted to falsely claim that I acted prematurely confirms the killing of the young man called Saif. The other deaths were reported by Iraqi and UK media, but the exact number of victims could not be verified. So what was reported in the article I quoted actually did happen, at least to some extent. So what exactly are you unsuccessfully trying to complain about?

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sad story no matter the motive.

14. hairyme

hairyme Member

I understand. I personally prefer to save my outrage for when the smoke has cleared and the story is more fully-fleshed out... but as you noted, members like gwayneco and ATW aren't expressing their doubts due to lack of verification. That's all I was trying to point out.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What the **** is wrong with people.

16. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

We wouldn't want to prematurely claim an island massacre of children were caused by Islamic extremists without rock-solid evidence, would we.

mhmm.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Which I did not. Your desperate attempts to play the "gotcha" game are noted.

I quoted an article and its headline on a developing story. I did not make any claim myself on who caused the island massacre.

Nice try. Next.

It's funny, though, that, going back to that thread which I just re-read, it was the OP of this thread here who posted:

Let's see what will be determined regarding the facts of this case here which across110thstreet posted.

But in contrast to me in the other thread - where I did not express outrage at Islamists or anything, as it was a developing story and the facts were not yet determined - the OP in this thread here already expresses his outrage and seems to be 100 % certain that this was a hate crime. Note that this is the same poster who criticized me for posting the other, clearly newsworthy thread "without having all the info".

#17 AroundTheWorld, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  18. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Oh, no, you just quoted the leaps of assumptions of others. You in no way endorsed their position in any way, shape or form by making them form the basis of a thread you started in a debate & discussion board.

Oh, but we have to wait until the evidence is in 100% before endorsing any position on anything. Interesting. I'll keep that in mind next time you barrage x1000 about whatever Middle Eastern calamity you pick up on.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I posted a thread on a developing story, copying the news & headline of the first article on Google News. At the time, there was even an Islamist organization falsely taking credit for the Oslo attacks.

Your self-pitying undertone is amusing.

20. across110thstreet

also note that I left out the part of the headline in the thread title that reads "Threat note left at scene" and the byline 'Message reportedly told family to 'Go Back to your own country'

so go ahead and keep following the case to see what facts are determined while I continue to be outraged at an Iraqi woman who was beaten with a tire iron and left for dead.

I'm not 100% sure it was a hate crime. as the article states, it's one possibility investigators are looking into. I would be 100% outraged if a killer used the prejudices that exist in America to cowardly murder an Iraqi woman, as well.

needs more facts.

"The family, and the community, is concerned that there is a possibility that this is a hate crime," Mohebi (Hanif Mohebi, executive director of the San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations) said. "We've had some stuff in the past — insults mostly — but nothing physical. This is shocking to the community, the state and even the country."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-iraqi-woman-20120326,0,190790.story