1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beasley: Durant bait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, Mar 7, 2016.

1. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Let's say the rockets do get lucky and pull in KD/AH. And let's say they get even luckier and Dwight decides to give the team a loyalty discount. What is the most the rockets could offer to dwert to retain him?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is no plausible scenario that has them signing Horford and Durant AND keeping Dwight.

They'd have to renounce Dwight just to have the cap space to sign the other two. So you are talking about Dwight playing for around $2 million to stay unless Durant and Horford go crazy and play for like $15 million each and Dwight agrees to the same.

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

That's a good question. I did a lot of googling last night and couldn't come up with a solid answer.

I don't know when a team qualify for the non-taxpayer MLE. Whether your 'status' of being under the cap or over the cap is determined at the end of the previous season or at some point during the off season. Does anyone know?

Though the Rocket should still have the smaller room MLE ($2.898MM) if they dont' get the non-taxpayer MLE ($5.6MM).

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well if they wanted to go all in, they could say Dwight take minimum this year, and we will give you the five year supermax with your bird rights next year. Take less now, for more later.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There is no 'realistic' scenario where the Rockets get KD+AH and Dwight is still here.

Al Horford would be the Dwight replacement.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Al doesn't want to play center.

7. SunsRocketsfan

Durant is joining curry and they are going to form the new super buddy team

Curry, Durant, Green, Thompson

Lebron will feel jealous and host the Decision Part II and leave the Cavs for a 2nd time to join the Warriors as well.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They form the new Guardians of the Galaxy team

9. Aydge

Aydge Member

Thank you! I was hoping someone would do this work for me.

I think we would keep Goudelock and try to get atleast one of Llull or Gentile over here.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Where did he say this. He has been playing C in Atlanta with Milsap at PF.

At this stage of Al's career he is a C. I think if he were to join a team with KD/JH he would know he would be playing minutes at C and would embrace that.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Teams that are UNDER THE CAP (the situation the Rockets will be in next year) will only have the ROOM MLE ($2.898MM) to utilize.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's been reported for a while now that Horford would ideally like to play PF. I don't know if he's backed off that, though.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just my opinion, I don't think Horford would turn down the chance to team up with KD+JH if playing C was a big issue. And it would only be part time C with Capela still here. Maybe even DMo.

I think a bigger concern for Horford is if Atlanta offers the 5th year of a MAX deal. I don't know if he will take the money like Bosh or move to another team like LMA.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I've wondered that, too, especially given how the role of the traditional / dominant center has either changed or largely gone away.

15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Thanks. THat'll make it a bit harder to fill out the Rockets bench.

Does anyone know Sergio Llull's buyout amount with his new contract? I doubt $2.89MM will be enough to get him over here. He's already 28 years old. It's looking less and less likely that he'll make the jump to the NBA.

16. amaru

amaru Member

No, it's not. Not at all.

Miami was actually a playoff team before LeBron. They won almost 50 games before his arrival. This team would be lucky to get to 40.

Like I said, BE REAL ROCKETS FANS.

17. amaru

amaru Member

OKC had a legitimate reason for their regression. Durant was out most of the season.

We have simply regressed because we suck as a team. Anybody who suggests otherwise is simply lying.

Get real.

18. amaru

amaru Member

A lot of teams are gonna have cap room to do that. What makes Houston so special other than the fact that we happen to pull for this team?

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's not an insane possibility, but would involve some illegal negotations.

Dwight could sign for the minimum for 1 season, and then following that year, sign a 5 year max.

Given that he is probably on his last contract, it might not beyond the realms of possibility, certainly worth asking the question. The alternative is to sign a 4 year max elsewhere this off-season (far less overall $) or, if he wants the Rockets to keep him, it might be alongside another max FA, but at less than the max himself.

The illegal thing is that he isn't allowed to negotiate the 5 year max after his 1 year minimum before that summer (I don't think?). But he gets far more money, and would be alongside 3 other max guys for 4 years (of the 6 remaining for him).

possible

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The room mle won't be enough to get Llull. But it might be enough to bring over SG/SF Alessandro Gentile.

Rockets could revisit Llull in the summer of 2017 when the cap goes up AGAIN.

You are right that the bench will be difficult to fill out, and that is precisely why Morey has already started doing that with the Beasley & Goudelock signings. Vet minimum deals.