1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beasley: Durant bait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whether or not the ploy works is going to be anybody's guess, but I'm sure this topic was brought up in other threads (not that I care, I'm not a "thread policeman").

Someone even brought up how Durant and Beasley once speculated on how they could one day play on the same NBA team.

Keep in mind, this article is 8 years old (Sonics, mind you). But still....

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...d-kevin-durant-could-become-sonics-teammates/

Childhood friends Michael Beasley and Kevin Durant could become Sonics teammates
    By Percy Allen

Somebody stole the pizza, and all signs pointed to the new kid.

Eight years ago, Michael Beasley was awkward and clumsy on the basketball court. Everyone at the Seat Pleasant Activities Center just outside Washington, D.C., could see that he had raw talent, but he lacked focus. He was undisciplined and difficult to coach.

After his first few hours practicing with the boys’ team, Beasley was told to leave the gym and not return.

Before leaving, the new kid swiped a box of pizza the team had planned for lunch.

That was the first time Sonics rookie guard Kevin Durant met Beasley.

“We were 11 years old when we met,” Durant said. “We had a team and the guy that ran the organization (PK Martin) heard about him and brought him down to the rec center. Mike practiced with us one day, and he was awful. You could tell that he was good, but I guess he was nervous. He was lazy. He didn’t play like he wanted to.

“And when he left, he stole our pizza. Our big pizza. We had just ordered it, too.”

Some first impressions you never forget.

Durant can’t tell that story without laughing. But really, it’s all so absurd when you think about it.

Two friends would devote their lives to chasing a basketball dream. The older boy (Durant) would blaze a path that the younger one would follow.

In their freshman seasons, each would attend National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Md. As juniors, they’d attend acclaimed Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, where they bolster their national reputation and become prominent collegiate recruits.

As seniors, they’d transfer to different high schools closer to home.

They’d win the MVP award of the McDonald’s All-America Game.

They’d attend Big 12 schools. Durant to Texas, Beasley to Kansas State.

They’d win the conference Freshman of the Year award.

They’d leave school after one year.

And they’d both become high lottery picks in the NBA draft. Durant was taken No. 2 overall last year by the Sonics and Beasley is considered by many to be top pick in the June 26 draft.

Who would believe that story?

Depending on what happens at Tuesday’s draft lottery, the Sonics may be in position to reunite the childhood friends.

Seattle finished with the second-worst record in the NBA, which gives it a 19.9 percent chance of landing the top spot. The team has an 18.8 percent chance of drafting No. 2, 17.1 percent chance of picking third, 31.9 percent chance of picking fourth and a 12.3 percent chance at the fifth choice. Lottery rules say the Sonics can fall no lower than fifth in the draft order.

Still, the odds of selecting two kids from nearby neighborhoods so high in the draft in consecutive years are infinitesimal.

Beasley remembers meeting Durant, and he also confessed to the pizza heist.

“Where I lived was not the best area to grow up in,” he said of his hometown of Upper Marlboro, Md. “I didn’t know when the next time I was going to eat.”

Even though Beasley stole the team’s lunch and was horrible in practice, Martin invited him back.

“From there, he was kind of the jokester of the team,” Durant said. “Everybody just kind of drew to Mike. He didn’t play that much early on, but one game we were in the championship and it went to like a triple overtime and he had 20 and 20 [points and rebounds].

“He was 12 years old. And all he was doing was tipping the ball to himself. He was almost dunking. His hands were so big. He was getting rebounds, and his hands were at the rim laying it in. After that he was a monster from then.”

Durant and Beasley became inseparable.

“He sort of lived with me almost,” Durant said. “He would come over before school, after school, stay late and then leave. [Our relationship] is very tight. We’re brothers. We tell each other we love each other. We’ve been through a lot. Almost the same things.”

Beasley’s mom was a single woman raising four kids. When the boys were teenagers, Beasley’s mother would drop him off at Durant’s home every day at 6:30 a.m. for breakfast. Durant and Beasley would ride the bus to school and play basketball in the evenings.

“He was a good kid,” Wanda Pratt, Durant’s mother, said of Beasley. “He was fun-loving. He liked to have a good time. His personality is not as serious as Kevin. He was always well-mannered. I never had a problem with Mike.”

Everyone calls him B-Easy, but his playful personality belies a fierce competitiveness on the court.

Much like Durant, Beasley is versatile. He’s a relentless scorer in the paint and a lethal perimeter shooter with three-point range. And his 6-foot-9, 235-pound frame is more suited for the rigors of a six-month NBA season than Durant, the Rookie of the Year, who weighed 215 last season.

“We’re a lot alike, but he’s a different player than I am,” Durant said. “I would say he’s more like Carmelo [Anthony] because he has more of an inside-out game. The biggest difference in us is he’ll be a No. 1 pick. I hate to put that pressure on him, but he’ll be a No. 1 pick.”

During the season they talked at least twice a week, and admittedly a few times they kicked around the idea of playing together for the Sonics.

“Yeah, we thought about it, but wherever he goes, I wish him the best,” Durant said. “If we happen to play on the same team, he can play inside out. He would be a great low-post presence. We’d just learn from each other. We’d be a very young team.

“That would be so cool. I’m not going to say it’s impossible, because you never know what can happen.”

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Beasley: Brewer Cattle Prod

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Durant is no Lebron. Durant did not have to drag his team to the Finals every year without a second superstar.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It is. The situation is eerily similar when you think about it.

A team that has one of his best friends on it (Harden) that is already an established superstar player.

+ the ability to bring over ANOTHER Max player which is what some people are forgetting.

The Pitch is hey, come play with your pal Harden + A new coach + Horford/Conley or whoever else you'd like to bring along...also...as a side note...your other best friend Beasley is on the team too...

The argument that the Thunder are a contender, well we just have to wait and see don't we? They could get swept by the Warriors in the 2nd round and do you think Durant will think of them as a contender then still?

Why would Durant leave Westbrook for Harden? Well, who knows? Durant may believe that Harden is the better player or that he'll have better chemistry with him. He could legitimately believe that, only time will tell though.

5. gotsis

gotsis Member

Yeah, but you guys are ignoring that Lebron had a big emotional connection with the Cavs and was really criticised when he left...For me it really depends on how the Thunder perform in the playoffs and even though, still think Houston is a longshot.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If and ONLY If Beasley thrives in Houston will this be a factor.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

If Beasley were actually KD bait, another team in hopes of luring KD would have already signed him.

Hell, if KD actually cared about playing with Beas, OKC would have acquired him long ago.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a risk for Durantula wherever he choose to go because of his legacy.

I would be interested to see what Morey does with a team led by Durant and Harden.

It is either jackpot or falling hard on his behind and no excuses.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This isn't bait, this is meaningless chum

10. ROXTXIA

Maybe they're not as devious as Morey.

Given the difficulty in luring Durant away when he will have so many suitors, every little edge will be sought. This move could be seen as either clever or pathetic. Or both.

Obviously it depends how it plays out. Let's none of us hold our breath waiting for Durant to sign here. They say you just pass out and wake up with a bad headache....and no Durant.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Beasley is as much bait as Ty Lawson is/was.

I guess Durant is now 'strongly' considering Indiana.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Multiple teams were interested and I'm not sure he could be signed in the middle of the CBA season. Not sure what the FIBA rules are on that.

13. ROXTXIA

In all the world, in whatever pro basketball league, we most needed a pothead tweener trying to get back into the league?

Maybe you're right. Maybe it was a matter of the Rockets brass sitting down with Yao Ming and Yao saying how well Beasley is playing these days (this was some 790 interview with Tad Brown last week).

Some other forward who's not going to get any minutes on the team.

14. Ranny

Ranny Member

Its easy to be against this idea that Beasley could be a factor to attract Durant to Houston. Its a long shot, and its likely not to be a factor at all. To say that Beasley wont affect Durant's decision is a safe bet. All of that may be true but.....

- Is it gonna hurt to have Beasley on our side?
    - Is Durant going to say "Beasley is there? **** that i am not going there!"?

The answer: Of Course Not!

Durant will meet us. He will sit down with Morey and the recruiting team which will surely include Harden and Beasley, you can bank on that, and the two friends will try to convince him that Houston is the place to be for him. Will they convince him? Maybe not, but having Beasley is not going to hurt our chances thats for sure.

15. Aydge

Aydge Member

Of course Beasley is Durant bait.

Anyone who doesn't get that, never had a highschool friendship rooted in constantly playing basketball together. That's not discounting the importance of other factors, it's being smart enough to consider every factor. Money is important. Winning is important. And who you go to work with every day is important.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Thunder is starting Andre Roberson whose almost the exact same type player as KJ McDaniel,

who can't shoot at all, don't need the ball, but regarding as a good defender and energy guy.

Judging from that, KJ is the most important piece for Morey to sign Durant here.

17. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

yea because okc made the playoffs last year right? good try hoo hoo

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

OKC is a not good place for Durant anymore. The team keeps losing, can not be improved anymore. GS is the best place for him, but he may not want to be the second leader on the team. Houston is not a good team, but there is a chance for getting better if the team can have a good coach first, then get both Horford and Durant to join the team. Do not know what will be happened in the end, but there is a chance to get Durant, who knows? Even Durant likely does not know his move right now.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, except Morey isn't going to come into the meeting and dump rings on the table like Riley did... Instead he's going to put spreadsheets in front of Durant showing that 3s are better than 2s, lol.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don't understand this line of logic. If Beasley is going to factor into your decision of getting a ring and $$, would we really want such an individual ? Durant isn't a moron, neither are his friends, family, and agents. He's not going to make a decision based on Lawson or Beasley. Curry? Yea maybe, and since he has a historic team it makes more sense. You guys need to jump off of that illogicall ship.

1 person likes this.