1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be honest, how do you feel about homeless people at a restaurant?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I thought OP owned a dry cleaners?

has he diversified his business?

OP you hirin?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I find it difficult to get out of conversations with homeless people.

I'm eating and they come talk to me.

How to nicely get them to go away?

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would tell them to leave. This is a cut throat business, not a shelter. Hurry up and buy!

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Underbelly. Hotballa is Chris shepherd.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think most people would like to avoid them when they eat......

DD

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Tell them you don't carry change/cash.

7. Buck Turgidson

Doesn't get more free-range than a homeless dude....

1 person likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Start talking about the Rockets.
    And if that doesn't work, segue to Harden and Khloe.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Usually they smell like ass, in that case I can understand why people don't want a filthy bum stench around them when they eat..

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I probably wouldn't like it. If they are dressed in rags, clearly haven't showered, and smell bad, that can definitely take away from the enjoyment of the meal, and I likely wouldn't sit within the vicinity of said person, and may avoid the establishment if it is a routine issue.

I would ask them to leave if they weren't paying customers. If you wish to do them well, perhaps look for places they could go instead and let them know.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oddly enough I saw a similar situation play out at a Subway shop in downtown Houston. I went in with my family for lunch one summer day, shop was moderately crowded. A couple of homeless guys got into a fight outside over a drink right as we walked up. While we sat inside the manager asked several people who had walked in and were panhandling to leave. My kids had to go to the bathroom and we had to get a key from the manager, she explained that they had problems with the homeless coming in and using the sinks for bathing. When we were finishing our lunch she had to end up calling the police because one guy had come in, stood by the bathroom door waiting for someone to come out. Then he slipped in without needing the key. He locked himself in the women's bathroom and would not come out. The cops had to get him out of the shop.

MHO as many others have said, if they pay they can stay. If not I don't think it is wrong to ask them to leave. You have to take care of your business, customers who complain and nothing is done could turn into customers that don't return or customers that share their problems with others. This can effect your business. Asking them to leave doesn't preclude you from being charitable in other ways, but you can find those ways without sacrificing your business.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

damnit, every single thread I make...

thank you guys for your honesty. i will probably keep things status quo for now, as the homeless people that go through my place dont make much trouble so far. but if they do, i won't hesitate to throw them out.