1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Be honest, how do you feel about homeless people at a restaurant?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Me too and one day I asked. I was driving to the bank and saw this homeless middle aged woman loitering near the driveway entrance of a shopping center. I made up my mind to pay her 100 dollars for her story on how she became homeless. I'm guessing she had a rough life and made some bad economic choices, perhaps she's been laid off and couldn't find work.

I parked my car, walked over to her and asked, "What's your story?" Her answer was simply drugs. That slightly destroyed my image of an everyday "down-on-her-luck" person with a romanticized back story. I gave her 20 dollars.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's a good thing t jones doesn't fancy chinese food :grin:

3. cebu

cebu Member

rich stinky people same as homeless to me.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm never comfortable around them at Starbucks: I think that's the only place I've regularly seen them, but if they don't ask me for cash and keep things clean I wouldn't mind them. Separately in larger cities like New York I would hope there are some activist groups and city rights commissions that look after their civil rights, although proprietors of small or high end enough establishments should have some kind of flexibility in terms of serving or seating them.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, how do you feel about blacks, Latinos and Asians at a restaurant?

How about Jews and Muslims?

6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Weird.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unless there are a 100 million homeless people I would question this analogy. Particularly Jews and Muslims, who wouldn't necessarily be obvious based on their appearance.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

We're kind of just playing it by ear at this point. I can't bring myself to tell a guy whos cold to get out of the store, so I kinda have them sit at a corner away from other customers. As for the people who complain, I honestly don't know what to do about them. I can only hope that there isn't too many of them.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If I were homeless and cold, I'd go to a toasty Laundry Mat, or a large subway terminal, or a library or a museum...Unless they always kick me out.

Then I'd try your restaurant.

and yes, my answer is in there somewhere.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

They taste more like pork than chicken.

1 person likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

If they're dressed inappropriately just send them home to change.

1 person likes this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I love it...

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

He loves a hard working Latino and is confused about black people and red lobster.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

This sounds like a great idea for the premise of a sitcom.

15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

What's your restaurant, op

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Unfortunately, I think it's like feeding the feral cats. Or being nice to a girl during a breakup. If you are good willed then expect them to come back again for more good will. Yes. They are human. Compassion is a good thing. It could be u one day. We all feel for their situation. But there are people who know how to help and that is what they do. It's not u. I would call a support group for the homeless, explain the situation, and see if they have a reasonable recommendation that's a win win for all involved. Remember that more oft then not there are other issues than just hunger, and they quickly can escalate on you. The best solution is to let the people who can help them help them, and if you want to donate food or support to that cause then I think that works.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

There is a fascinating interview somewhere with two homeless guys who talk about how there is a hierarchy and social structure all it's own in the homeless community. With some well to do homeless folks amongst them.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Chinese laundry. Take out and dry cleaning in one convenient location.

19. dragician

dragician Member

[​IMG]

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Lure em into the kitchen and chop and cook one up. Maybe call it Human curry and everybody will just laugh at the spelling gaffe but what do they know. Oh....and a good way to lower food cost.