1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be Honest: Did you want Yao in the 2002 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Apr 10, 2007.

1. playa

playa Contributing Member

"Over for us it woudl have been" said Yoda

2. kennymajozy

kennymajozy Member

I still remember the words by PAT that time before we select Yao.
    haha
    time flies, how sweet Yao proves that people who were anti him are wrong :rolleyes:

3. bougainvillea

bougainvillea Member

It's hard to see it at that time. If not for the stupid crash, Jay Williams may now develop some great game. As for Yao, I still have some lingering doubts.

4. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

I read an article about Yao a couple of years before he came over and was amazed at the thought of him playing I the NBA. I sat there telling my brother, "if only we could get this dude...". I just knew there was no way that it would happen (unless he pulled a SF3).

When we won the lottery I was jumping and yelling at the top of my lungs for like an hour.

Yes, a little melodramatic... :D

SF3, "Well, I know we don't need a point guard."

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

At the time, I would have supported trading the number one pick for another star player....as I didn't think Yao would blossom into a 25 and 10 guy.

I figured he's at best be a Sabonis - and at worst a bust.

Give Yao credit - his work ethic is what made the difference.

6. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Only fools wanted williams over Yao. Yao will most likely be the greatest rocket ever when his career is done.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I thought that was Yao and Carter. Freaked me out! :eek:

8. nait

nait Member

I only became a Rockets fan because of Yao. So I can't vote but like to make a comment.

Though I am a Yao fan all the way, I never thought he would be this good back then. He looked like a bust in his first NBA game. But today, the way he played this year before his injury was insane. Yao still have couple years to develop, I think. He will be more dominate next year for sure.

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

When we won the lottery i immediatly got a SMS from a friend(a laker fan) with the message: Congratulations with Yao ming :D

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

lol

turned this thread into a 5 star mode

I wasn't really into the draft that year, my opinion doesnt count

11. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

That definitely would have brought some excitement to the stadium Stevie Franchise built.