1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be Honest: Did you want Yao in the 2002 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Apr 10, 2007.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

What happened to all the insiders? Doc Rocket among others? The last post I can remember was the Toyota Tundra giveaway leaving all wondering if this was "code" for getting some new player via trade.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

New coach = lack of access and sources for most of the insiders, is my guess. And we lost Popeye. :(

4. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

That's disappointing. While I've only been a member for a couple years, I really got excited reading posts - even the vague useless ones - of insiders.

Fortunately there are still plenty of intelligent posters that make clutchfans the best source of information for Rockets fans period.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Touche'

:D

DD

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yao Ming made me from a lurker to a member.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wasn't sure if Yao would be great in the NBA or not but I knew that if we were keeping the pick we had to take him. I thought Jay Williams was redundant on a team with Francis and besides that - it's just so much harder to find a quality big man. Yao is better than I thought he'd be though - that's fore sure. I'm glad that's the case.

8. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I definitely wanted him...but I had this fear that he could end up being a bust...that was gone as soon as he scored 20 and Barkley kissed some ass.

9. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I must admit that I have never had any high hopes on Yao before he played in NBA. I thought he would at best play to the same level as Wang. I was not a Rockets fans at that time but I really glad he was being chosen by the organization instead of other franchises in the league, talking about the acceptance and nurturing by his coaches and teammates.

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Check out my signature. It hasn't changed for a long time.

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I wanted Yao, but wasn't really sure what the hell Yao could do. Like college, just because you dominated 5'0 centers overseas , doesn't mean it translates into dominating the NBA game.

Plus, what precedent did Yao really have with the previous centers his height?

George Muresan? Manute Bol? perhaps the mightly Shawn Bradley?

the only center that gave me a glimmer of hope was Rik Smits and even then Smits had played over here most of his career.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I wanted to trade down for Dunleavy.. but otherwise I wanted Yao. That's why I voted Yao on these choices

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. I didn't know anything about him except for measurements and stats. Of the players I knew, I wanted Jason Williams. I was not upset about the draft since I did not know if he was better or worse than Jay Williams.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm happy with my comment in the Pro-ming anti-ming thread. I'm a little bit less happy with my writing style :D

p.s. it might have been better to include the third option, and that was to trade the pick, i think that most people that didn't want Yao wanted to trade the pick.

#114 arno_ed, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  15. playa

playa Contributing Member

I wanted him from the get go, but he is better than I expected. I bought a gong before we even drafted him and I hit that thing every time his name is mentioned.

16. zong

zong Member

I spend too much time to argue with the anti-Yao people to support Yao's coming, and the Rox team. Even during that time I was so sure Yao was much better JW or others.

17. mxiong17

mxiong17 Member

[​IMG]

T-MAC came to H-town for Yao, so yeah we all better bow to MING DYNASTY!

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Tmac looks good in that wig.

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I wanted Odom...with Cuttino and Francis on the wing.....it was going to be OVER

20. Locke

Locke Member

Until Battier came around, I hated all Duke players.

I hated Jason Williams.