1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be Honest: Did you want Yao in the 2002 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No. I didn't want Yao. As a matter of fact, I thought Houston should have traded the #1 pick because that draft (especially at the time) appeared to be one of the weakest drafts in years.

I thought this team could have received a borderline All-Star and a few solid role players in exchange for the pick. Of course, now I am glad they kept it and selected Yao.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I hoped that they picked Yao all the way. Sometimes, it's just something about certain players that make you watch them, even though most people may think that they are that good. But others can see something unique in that person.

For some odd reason, Yao seemed really different from Manute, Muresan, Smits, and Eaton. Even though, he very skinny and slow, he had that extra something about him where you could tell he would be good player in the NBA.

Plus, I wasn't really sold Jayson Williams, he was a good point guard/shooting guard at Duke. But, scoring point guards are pretty much a dime a dozen in the NBA, you probably could name ten without even think about it. While, it is hard to find a servicable big man. And I guess we could say Houston got the best deal in that draft. Because, Yao was the best player in the draft, anyway.

3. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I think I was actually advocating trading down and Picking up Amare Stoudamire. Hmmmm Search function time.

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

HaHaHa.

Found it. No I wasnt asking for trade down, but I did want Amare on board. But man o man DoD...Did you ever hit the nail on the head about Amare.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=34055&highlight=Amare

5. rocket_zoom

rocket_zoom Member

As much as I love Yao, the logical pick would be going for Jay Williams. He has NCAA experience, and is less of a risk than Yao.

I hate to say this, but given the same circumstance, if there were a 7"6 foreign player and a proven NCAA player to choose from, the NCAA player is the safer bet.

CD and the Rockets took on alot of risk by drafting Yao #1 and fortunately, they got it right.

One thing I wonder if CD and the Rockets knew about Yao going into the draft was Yao's work ethic. That was probably the biggest hidden reward as it is really Yao's work ethic that got him where he is today.

Rocket Zoom

6. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

I knew Yao was the real deal and wanted him on the team since the beginning.

there is no need to feel dumb because u didnt , the rest of the league especially sports "experts" didnt think he was any good ethier. bunch of morons.

7. rocket2010

rocket2010 Member

The first time I heard about Yao Ming was in 2000, when I was watching the Olympic basketball, and the Chinese team happened to play that day. I dont remember what was the opponent, but I think the broadcasters for that game were Doug Collins and Bob Costas.

Back then Yao was shooting threes like there is no tomorrow, and I remember Doug Collins gave quite a favorable scouting report of Yao, comparing him to Nowitzki and saying that he would make it to the NBA someday. I was a Lakers fan before Yao came to the NBA but have been a Rockets fan since the summer of 2002.

8. 2rings

2rings Member

Gotta always go with size especially when its on a player with Yao's relative (for a 7'6" guy) athleticism.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm right there with ya. I remember Yao being on the Sports Illustrated cover with the fateful words "The Next Big Thing" and thinking to myself, "Holy Lord, they have really tall people in China? That can PLAY?" I was intrigued. Then when I heard the Rockets got the first pick, I asked my dad, "Wow, they're going to get the giant Chinese guy?!" I hadn't really watched a game since the Franchise era had begun, but I was interested to see how this NBA novelty was going to do.

Well, long story short, I've read pretty much everything ever written in English about Yao, including part of that ludicrous book about him being genetically engineered (don't bother). I've been delighted to watch his incredible progress in the face of withering pressure and criticism both in China and the U.S. I have tremendous faith in Yao Ming; I have no doubt that he will consistently work to improve himself and the Rockets until the day that he retires. I also love getting glimpses of Yao's wit. My favorite line that I remember from Yao was during his first season when he was talking after a game to Bill and Calvin about getting his first car, which I believe was a Toyota Sequoia. Calvin suggested that, due to Yao's height, a convertable might have been more comfortable for him. Through Colin Pine, Yao replied that he wouldn't drive a convertable because his hair might get messed up! As Bill and Calvin cracked up, Colin then related that Yao said "that's not something Calvin would have to worry about, of course." It was hilarious. It was great. Yao Ming is a funny guy.

I wanted the Rockets to get Yao because I wanted to have a front-row seat to view this intriguing novelty. He didn't disappoint. Yao's a personal hero of mine. He's awesome.

10. 2rings

2rings Member

I disagree. Very few can dominate at around 6'. Especially when the average NBA guy is so much quicker than the average NCAA'er.

11. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I remember at the time thinking about a trade-down scenario with the Clippers (#8, #12 Odom for Yao, bad contracts and #15), And then picking Caron Butler at 8 and Curtis Borchardt at 12.

I'm glad we have Yao though. :D

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

A lot of interesting comments. Thanks for replying.

I didn't realize how many people were not Rocket fans or could care less about the Rockets before Yao got here...I guess it makes sense since he attracts so many Asian fans...

13. yaozhuxi

yaozhuxi Contributing Member

15 so far. i smell YOH in this board on every corner.

14. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

i remember i was for Yao cause we already had Stevie Franchise, just made more sense, although i remember lusting after Skita :(

15. Nice Rollin

yeah but shawn bradly didnt come to mind??? manute bol? gherge muerson?

16. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

How is not wanting to pick Yao in 2002, being a Yao hater? People can't be wrong? :rolleyes:

17. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I watched pre-draft tapes of Yao, and I thought 'This guy is the real deal' No other explaination, no stats to support it, I just knew we had to pick him no. 1 overall. IT's just this sort of feeling, you can't explain it, but you feel damn happy that you've got him afterwards.

18. Nice Rollin

wow...are you serious? i haven't read one comment about anyone hating Yao...I love Yao. I just did not want him at the #1 pick. I was wrong...

how is that hating?

19. Nice Rollin

really??? the pre-draft tape they showed on espn/pti/ATH??? the one where he is shooting the threes and dominating on guy way smaller than him? i didnt think it was impressive at all...

20. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

Forget about what he said, he is a YOF. I can smell that. :D