1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be Honest: Did you want Yao in the 2002 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I love Yao Ming...even more after reading the SI article posted by HayesFan

But I gotta admit. I'm an idiot. When the Rockets had the first pick in 2002, I really wanted Jason (JAY) Williams. Williams was had potential. He could shoot. He could defend. He was quick and not to mention, he was clutch. I thought a francis/williams backcourt would be really fun to watch...

I know it's not fair to judge Jason Williams's because of the motorcycle crash, but I don't think he'd turn out to be as dominating as Yao. In 2002, I wanted no part of Yao...7'6 and from China (his best competition are players like Menge Bateer)....I just didn't think he was gonna be good. Especially since I had never seen him play. All I saw of Yao Ming before the draft was his workout tape of him airballing a three and dominating Curtis Borchardt under the basket.

Bottom line: I'm an idiot...I'm not realizing this now. I realized I was an idiot after Yao's rookie season, but I just wanted to see how many people wanted Jay Williams over Yao in 02...

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Hell yea. The only other two times that got me this excited was the first championship and the acquisition of T-Mac.

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I wanted Yao for sure. I remember seeing Williams brick up a bunch of free throws in clutch time during college and knew he wouldn't be crap.

4. rocketswinitall

to say i wanted yao back then, would be a lie

man, was i a dumba$$

5. Nice Rollin

wow....9 to 1

i guess im the only idiot on this board...i hope nobody eats me alive...cmon the guy is 7'6...before yao, manute bol, shawn bradley, and gheorge muerson are 7'6 players who come to mind...muerson 7'7

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Heck yes, I was one of the first on the Yao Ming bandwagon......

Bring on da Yao !

DD

7. Nice Rollin

but he also led 10 point comebacks against maryland in 1 minute

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yes Indeed I was and the first to do so!! There were so many posters shooting me down!!! I was the one who had the eye for talent!!:p :rolleyes: :p

9. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

You don't have to call yourself idiot. Only good coaches/scouts could see his potential at that time, and that was very risky too. Being a Chinese myself, the highest expectation I had on him at that time was Tony Kukoc :D

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I was so excited to have him join the roxs and luv cd and rudy t's effort to help w/ this

go YAO :eek:

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm not going to vote because I was *gasp* not much of a Rockets fan at the time. The combination of the letdown after Hakeem, Clyde, and Charles were gone and the fact that I was off at college resulted in some distance for me leading up to 2002. I just started to get interested again during Yao's first season, so I didn't really have an opinion on the draft...but I remember seeing his draft video on TNT (or TBS...whichever covered it) and being impressed.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wanted to trade down and grab Caron Butler, but as always I deferred to Rudy T. ;)

13. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

I wouldn't have drafted him #1 overall back then and that's why I'm the keyboard jockey and others will do all the real work.

14. Nice Rollin

me too...if the rockets didnt want jay williams, i wanted them to trade down and get caron butler...at the time i thought he was the 2nd best player in the draft

15. kkuu

kkuu Member

God, there are 6 people NOW. Really surprised me.

I can't believe it.

16. Champ06

Champ06 Member

I woldn't have draft Yao as #1 pick because he was just one big stiff giant. I remember saying back then, Yao was like a slim stick that can breakdown anytime. Well, that's why I'm just a fan sitting at home watching CD and the rest pick Yao. ;)

17. YaoYoYao

YaoYoYao Member

back in 2002 I was only watching NBA finals, even that was half hearted

18. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

iuno, i only started watching because of Yao Ming!

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

wow the 2002 draft had to have been the worst draft class ever

20. Northside Moss

Close but...damn, that 2000 NBA Draft class easily takes the cake.

1 Kenyon Martin (PF)
    2 Stromile Swift (PF/C)
    3 Darius Miles (SF/SG)
    4 Marcus Fizer (PF)
    5 Mike Miller (SF/SG)
    6 DeMarr Johnson (SG/SF)
    7 Chris Mihm (C/PF)
    8 Jamal Crawford (SG)
    9 Joel Przybilla (C)
    10 Keyon Dooling (SG)

But back to Yao, wasn't much of a Rockets fan then, but even I could tell the logic of drafting Yao before Williams. 7'6 guy with touch, agility and solid post moves and good handles? Hook me up to that. Sure, Yao looked like a stick back then, but upper body conditioning is one of the easiest things to improve in the NBA.