1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BDL] Dwyer's take on PGs ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by echu888, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He did go to the finals which counts for something. Don't mess with the Calvin.

2. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Here's a preview for what's to come for this up coming season...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTGY-OiP_1Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTGY-OiP_1Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Those that think Parker is better than Brooks at the moment, and think that the Spurms are better than Rockets, will eat some major crow.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQeTgEHWsqE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQeTgEHWsqE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Speed + Handles = Kills

#182 Rocket4Life11, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. lionaire

lionaire Member

Wow i flipped when i saw who was on the 11-20 list ahead of AB and Lowry.

4. Dandamanz

Dandamanz Member

Chemistry makes this team great. No need to look at each individual player when basketball is a team game.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That dude doesn't reach 6' 0'' in shoes. Trust me on this. I've stood right next to him.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Brooks threads are like groundhog day.

This has never been a useful statement.

Doesn't matter what position anyone thinks he is as long as he's playing the position the coach thinks he plays.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dang you are right it is 5'11.75"

Link to predraft measurements

He does have good reach and vertical though to go with his speed, trying to find Lowry's measurements, but they are not on there it seems.

DD

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i've stood next to him before and he is like an inch taller than me and i am 5'9 on my best days, but usually 5'8-5'9

those pre draft measurements aren't the most accurate things

i would peg aaron to be between 5'9 - 5'10

unless he wears shoes with crazy shoes with with crazy soles on them that day to put him at near 6' which very well could have happened

and we both were wearing shoes at the time when i measured myself up to him

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not as an AB homer as DD, however Dwyer clearly has both Lowry and Brooks ranked way too low here, especially lowry.

I can understand some of the lists you guys are saying, however there is NO reason that Jrue Holiday, Ramon Sessions and Mike Conley are much better than Kyle Lowry. In fact, when the Rafer trade happened Dwyer even admitted that Lowry has outplayed Conley, and the only reason the Grizz shipped Lowry out instead of conley was that dealing a top 5 pick doesn't sound too good. Conley has very minimal offensive skills! He can handle and pass well enough, but his shot is broken and his athleticism is ordinary. Lowry at the very least can play physical defense and can bulldoze his way to the ft line, Conley can't even do those things. :rolleyes:

As for Brooks I fail to see why he isn't in the top 20. LOL Mo FREAKING WILLIAMS? Jose Calderon? Lou Wiliams? And why the hell is Jameer Nelson above Jason Kidd, Brandon Jennings and Stephen Curry? What the hell did you do Dwyer, did you just organize every pg by assists and ordered your ranking from there? :rolleyes:

I don't understand the explanation for his rankings at all. Taking 6 threes a game are "insane", even if you're making close to 40% of those threes? If my guard was hitting at a 40% clip I'd be like "bomb away, son! Take 15 3 pointers a game!" And why are Mo Williams and especially Calderon given passes for their lousy D? Dwyer mentions their horrible D...however he ranks them ahead of Brooks anyway, who has managed to be a decent defensive player despite his small size. Also unlike Mo Williams who is a well-documented choker, Brooks steps up in the bright lights of the playoffs. Having a pg whose performance doesn't dip drastically whenever games really matter has got to count for something, right? Why the hell would I pay for a pg who performs markedly worse when playoffs arrive? :rolleyes:

Finally, yes I would like to upgrade Brooks. However, the only upgrade I'd consider worthwile is a superstar PG already. These rankings are just so ridiculous I can't wrap my head around it. So basically, if Orlando called and asked for a Jameer Nelson-Stephen Curry swap, GS is supposed to be all over it? How about us? If Portland asked us for an Andre Miller-Brooks trade we're supposed to be happy about it? :rolleyes: These rankings are bull!

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Reply above (the ones I didn't write anything for, I agree with).

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

20-11

I'd put AB ahead of Calderon, Mo Williams, Wall, Lou Williams, Collinson, Jennings, & Nelson.

12. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

parker, wall, curry, nelson, jennings, m. williams, harris, dre miller, davis, westbrook, evans. all of these guys can slide behind brooks. I dont have time to explain why, but im right and you should trust me.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You do realize that, if you take this analogy to its logical conclusion, and people who disagree with you are piles of poop that follow you around - it renders you into a giant a-hole and your posts a voluminous, repetitive, annoying form of defecation....

1 person likes this.
  14. kayc

kayc Member

wow! clearly u are r****ded....ur whole list is OFFFF! NELSON at #4 really?

15. thekad

thekad Member

Only skimmed through, but DD is actually right here. Dwyer's list is ridiculous.

Derrick Rose:
    20 PTS 6 AST 4 REB 53%TS w/ middling D
    41 wins in the East

Aaron Brooks:
    20 PTS 5.5 AST 3 REB 55%TS w/ middling D
    42 wins in the West

Yet Rose is (presumably) a top 5 point guard and Brooks is 21? Yeah, no.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the thing is: rose is their guy. everything starts and ends with him (btw, his stats are misleading b/c he started the first 2 months bad due to an injury. he averaged like 25, 6 or 7 the rest of the way).

if you watch us, brooks is our guy when he's hot. but we have other options to go to. landry was huge before he was traded. scola led us in a lot of games. and kmart led us in a lot of games. and sometimes lowry played more minutes.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its worth it for you, and everyone complaining about these rankings, to take a quick read on the criteria:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=AmkPmiljBy0ZM4ZwdDSXFSbYrYZ4?urn=nba-262951

To sum up:

(1) The rankings are for the upcoming season, not last year.
    (2) He ranks players based on how important they would be to a "hypothetical team in a vacuum". In other words, if you could pick any player to be your PG and you don't yet know the particulars of the team that will be around him, who would you take?
    (3) Its not meant to be a fantasy ranking. It will go beyond the traditional box-score stats and consider more advanced metrics.
    (4) Defense matters.

18. thekad

thekad Member

None of that makes any sense. Rose was their best player. AB was our best player. Of course AB didn't win every game for us. Neither did Rose.

19. thekad

thekad Member

1) And? Rose and Brooks both made big improvements over the previous year. Brooks may have even made the bigger improvement. There is no reason other than where Rose was drafted to think he would become 16 spots better than Brooks based on the 82 games of evidence we have.

2) Brooks won more games as the best player on his team in the tougher conference.

3) Points, rebounds, and assists are real stats. The advanced metrics(ORTG, DRTG, WS) show that Rose & Brooks were about even as well.

4) They both play middling D.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

who says AB is our best player? scola put up 17 and 9 on 33 mpg and last 2 months he put up 21 and 11.

landry was arguably our go-to guy before he was traded.

kevin martin was our leading scorer after he got traded here.

lowry is our best passer.

it's arguable that brooks is our best player/scorer, but you can argue for other guys.

ESPN had landry as our MVP before he was traded, and i would agree that to be the case.

when you talk about the bulls, it's all about derrick rose. get it?