1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BCS Standings Released

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AstroRocket, Oct 19, 2008.

1. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

http://www.bcsfootball.org/cfb/story/8694984/Longhorns-secure-top-spot-in-opening-BCS-standings

Longhorns secure top spot in opening BCS standings

FOXSports.com
    2 minutes ago

You can argue which conference is better, the Big 12 or the SEC, but there's no disputing the two are unquestionably the class of college football this season.

And the first BCS standings of the season reflect that.
    Texas and Alabama currently occupy the top two spots in the rankings that will ultimately determine who will play for the national title. All told, seven of the top 10 spots in the standings are occupied by Big 12 and SEC teams.

In addition to the Longhorns and the Crimson Tide, those two power conferences are represented by Oklahoma (No. 4), Oklahoma State (No. 6), Georgia (No. 7), Texas Tech (No. 8) and Florida (No. 10).

So given the strength of those two conferences, it would appear to be all but impossible for Penn State (the No. 3 team in the standings) to pass either Texas or Alabama without a little help.

Of course, given the strength of those two conferences, it would appear equally difficult for either Texas or Alabama to run the table and finish the regular season undefeated.

That isn't the case for Penn State, which will play only one more game against a team in the top 25 of the initial BCS standings — No. 9 Ohio State.

USC, on the other hand, won't have any challenges left this season — at least, according to the BCS standings. At No. 5, the Trojans are the only Pac-10 in the top 25 in the rankings. While that seems to suggest USC shouldn't have too much difficulty finishing the regular season with just the lone loss on its resume, it also gives the Trojans no opportunity to impress voters and the computers with a signature victory.

While Brigham Young's chances of scoring a BCS bid took a serious hit this week (the loss to TCU knocked the Cougars down to 21 in the standings), several non-BCS teams are positioned to earn an at-large spot. Utah and Boise State are ranked 11th and 12th, respectively — a ranking that would earn either automatic BCS bowl berths if it holds through the rest of the season.

All told, there were six schools from non-BCS conferences in the top 25 in the standings. In addition to Utah, Boise St. and BYU, Texas Christian (No. 14) Tulsa (No. 19) and Ball State (No. 20) can continue to harbor BCS-busting aspirations.
    --------------

Can't find any sites with a full rankings list posted yet, as the standings were just announced on Fox's NFL show, but I'll post it when I find one.

Nice to see Oklahoma with three teams in the top 20. The OK state is representin'. :)

2. Landlord Landry

Texas has a tough road.......but they are the best team right now.

Colt is a machine.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sweet, suddenly TCU is in the picture! :D

4. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Complete BCS rankings:
    1. Texas;
    2. Alabama;
    3. Penn State;
    4. Oklahoma;
    5. USC;
    6. Oklahoma State;
    7. Georgia;
    8. Texas Tech;
    9. Ohio State;
    10. Florida;
    11. Utah;
    12. Boise State;
    13. LSU;
    14. TCU;
    15. Missouri;
    16. South Florida;
    17. Pittsburgh;
    18. Georgia Tech;
    19. Tulsa;
    20. Ball State;
    21. BYU;
    22. Northwestern;
    23. Kansas;
    24. Minnesota;
    25. Florida State.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Before the season is over, either UT or Alabama is going to lose and Penn State will be in the BCS title game (assuming they beat Ohio State next week).

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Both Bama and Texas still play multiple ranked teams which, regardless of a loss, will help them with the computer polls. Plus, the perception of the Big 10 being garbage might sway enough voters to place either a one loss Bama/Texas team ahead of an undefeated Penn St.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ohio State will beat Penn St. (I have tickets, and OSU is 6-0 for games that I attend ;))

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Thanks for posting the list. You know, if Bama and Penn lose, and OU and UT win out, that's going to be f'n crazy. And it's so plausible, it's scary.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It's a joke that USC is ranked higher than either Georgia or Florida. I seriously hope that we won't have this happen - the winner of the Georgia-Florida game beats Alabama (assuming they beat LSU) in the SEC Championship Game and finishes the regular season with 1 loss, yet cannot play for the NC because idiotic USC and the damn media that has a stiffy for them has them ahead in the polls. No way in hell does USC belong that high in the polls.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Unlikely to happen. I think OU would deserve it in that scenario, but the way so many voters changed their ballots on the final day of 2006 to avoid an Ohio State-Michigan rematch makes me think rematches are unlikely, especially when the alternative is USC. Hope I'm wrong, though -- another Texas-OU game would be amazing.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

USC is gonna be that one looming team this year that messes up dream scenarios like these. Man, I hate the Pac-10. :mad:

12. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I agree with you about the OSU-Michigan parallel. One interesting thing to consider, there is a potential for a total cluster-f**k in the Big 12 South if UT loses (doesn't look likely after these last two weeks but certainly possible). If either OkSU or Tech manage to nip UT, and then lose to OU, there's suddenly a huge controversy about who should be coming out of the Big 12 for the national title game. OR, and this is far less likely, what if Mizzou were somehow to beat UT in a rematch in the Big 12 Title game when OU had won out. You'd have a two loss team winning a conference without having played a team with one loss (which beat it twice last year, once by 21 points on a neutral field). Who would the media send to the big game?

I think it's pretty clear that Penn State has to win out to be in the title game. If not, then it will almost assuredly be a Big 12 vs. SEC showdown. I can't see the media giving USC a pass when all the talk has been about how brutal the SEC and Big 12 have been this year and USC doesn't have a single quality win on their resume.

Also, we can safely assume that even if they beat Penn State there's no WAY OSU sneaks back into the national title game right? I mean, two straight years of embarrassment seems to be enough...

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

In your Big 12 scenario...don't forget earlier this decade when OU went to the championship game after getting destroyed in the conference title game. It's isn't unprecedented.

14. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Wow, yeah, forgot all about Jason White e. al's turdburger against K-State. I think this one would be a little different seeing as you'd have two, possibly three teams from the conference making a strong case whereas OU was clearly the class of the Big 12 that year and just didn't show up for the conference game. But it's obvious that it could happen.

15. Major

Major Member

It will be hard for USC to get in the mix. The computer polls have them at #10 - and that's only going to get worse as their schedule doesn't improve while the B12 / SEC schools will keep getting stronger schedules. Even if they got to #2 in the polls, I think it would be difficult unless it was a close-to-unanimous #2.

I think a 1-loss OU has a really good chance of going above any other 1-loss team except an SEC champion. I think they definitely go ahead of 1-loss USC or 1-loss Penn State. OU's computer rankings are already great, and add wins over Tech and OSU in there, and they should be in great shape. The OSU-Michigan thing was a bit different because it was a rematch of a game that just happened to end the season. I think TX-OU would be far enough back to make it more workable.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Thanks for opening your mouth and providing that bad ju-ju to Ohio.

GO PENN STATE!!

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

A win for Penn is a Loss for USC. Go Penn!!!!

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The computers have OK State as the #3 team in the nation!

Watch out UT next week.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unless I'm mistaken
    and please let me know if I am

If Texas Wins the Big 12 South
    OU cannot Play in the National Championship game
    No matter what happens in the Big 12 championship game

If you don't win your conference [which they have no chance to
    if Texas wins the Big 12 south] . . .then you cannot play in the National Championship game

am I correct?

Rocket River

20. Major

Major Member

Not correct. Whoever's #1 vs. #2 will play in the championship game, regardless of if you won your conference or not. That said, there may be some voters that try to vote against OU to push them down and prevent that matchup. If it comes down to a bunch of 1 loss teams, it will probably all be based on style points - who dominates their opponents, etc.