1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBQ restaurant panned for plan to give white diners discount

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 9, 2015.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Celebrating white culture is a touchy thing these days, much like the menninist movement is met with a great deal of resistance. I honestly don't know how I feel about this. Giving a discount based on race doesn't bother me, although I feel like it should. I think if you are in the cause of any minority, you need to pick your battles. This right here, while sort of stupid, is not a battle worth fighting. Plus, it's a BBQ place in Colorado. Texas is the only state where I eat BBQ I didn't smoke myself...

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have never seen such a special. Anyways, the BBQ joint will now offer discounts to everyone for white appreciation. That's fine by me. It's still stupid, but at least its not illegal.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always felt like Black History Month was more to celebrate African Americans as opposed to Black folks in general. Similarly, we give recognition to and celebrate individual Caucasian heritages with stuff like St. Paddy's day, various German festivals, etc.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are white Hispanics included in this appreciation?

5. JuanValdez

Every day is white appreciation day!

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What is white culture?

7. Mr. Clutch

Greek, Italian, French, Spanish etc?

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't think celebrating any of those is very touchy to anyone.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Technically it is sexist on the surface, but if you apply the legal rationale it should not be. The reason it is not is because you are giving a discount to women to provide a benefit to men. Without the women getting a discount, the men would not show up. They are paying a premium to get a chance to meet women. So from a cover charge standpoint, it shouldn't be illegal in my opinion. Just as Seniors getting a discount shouldn't be illegal because they have a more challenging time moving through a place so it makes sense that they get a discount as compensation for that.

I think the specials I have seen apply to everyone black or white. I don't know any example of a black person getting a discount for black history month. If there is one it would indeed be racist.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Wow, such typical liberal backwardness. You just assume all men want to meet women and not other men. Jeez, is there no end to this outdated ideology.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a satire fail

12. Remii

Remii Member

According to texxx those discounts are called welfare.

I don't necessarily have a problem with what he wants to do... It's his business and it doesn't appear he is denying service to anyone else. I just think he's being inconsiderate and or trolling Black folks for having it so close to Juneteenth. Juneteenth to many Black folks is very important.

13. JuanValdez

He's definitely trolling black folks, but not really seeing the Juneteenth angle. Juneteenth is still a month away.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I thought Juneteenth was more of a Texas thing. That's how it started, anyways.

This bbq promotion was done by a Hispanic in Colorado.

15. Buck Turgidson

Yes, just like Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day, Juneteenth was begun in Texas and then moved nationwide.

16. Mr. Clutch

Except we don't see a lot of bros taking Jaeger shots on Juneteenth

17. Remii

Remii Member

According to the article the store owner is having an appreciation day for the poor oppressed White folks in this country on June 11, which is a little over a week before Black Independence Day. And I don't believe this guy is as disconnected as texxx that he thinks only Black folks in Texas celebrate that day :rolleyes:

Just the same... I think he may lose some business and not just from Black folks.

18. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Raza? Sheeet....I'll go in and eat for free!

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

ARE there or not?

not IF there are. ARE there?

"if there are" is conjecture.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member