1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBC] Doctor Who

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Aug 11, 2013.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I don't get this show. I've given it a try a few times and couldn't get into it. Friends who share a ton of common interests like this show so I figure I should like it too.

I even like the little I've seen of Red Dwarf, which I have no idea if is in the same ballpark but seems like it might be.

I'll give this new one another try.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

My advice start with Eccleston and give it a few episodes. I started watching it late and had a hard time understanding what was going on until I started from the beginning of the reboot. It is very difficult to pick up in a middle episode and understand what is happening. You can watch all of the new ones on Netflix to catch up.

As for the new Doctor, I will give him time before I decide how I feel (although the scene with him and the bum was great). It took me a few episodes to warm up to Matt Smith, mainly because I really liked David Tenant. Also, the first episodes of new Doctors tend to be more companion driven until the end. Tenant spent most of his first episode asleep, and Smith's first episode was him popping in and out because he couldn't hit the right time.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is great advice.

I'm one of the few people that liked Eccelston and I hated Tennant before finally getting used to him. In every way, shape and form, Matt Smith was inferior to Tennant IMO. Took me a whole season to really accept him. I can already see after one episode Capaldi is going to make Smith look like a silly kid who had no business in the role. The plots will hopefully improve on the premiere.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I pretty much gave Tennant's run a miss. Worst Doctor IMO. Matt Smith's doctor was all about the redhead.

Capaldi's opening scene didn't work for me. A bit awkward. It reminded me too much of Colin Baker's doctor with all that unstable business. Colin Baker's underrated but he didn't help himself with all the early episodes where he tried to play an unstable Jack Nicholson type character. Everyone hated that.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually I see we do have similar tastes
    I was very bothered that Eccelston did not come back
    Tennant took a while for me to warm up to . . but hell ROSE was there so I was there *chuckle*
    She covers a whole range of deficiencies

Smith was ok but I started getting tired of Rory and Amy
    Loved River Song though . . .could have done with more of her.

Rocket River

6. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Capaldi was saying he wanted the character to not nail the character right away. I think they were trying to show all the different traits that the last eleven doctors had to get the audience to see that this is still the doctor but just with a new face. It might be for audience to accept Capaldi as the new one easier but the plot with Vastra, Jenny, and Clara made everything kind of muddled. It seemed like the whole episode was more about the companions than it was about the doctor.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

RR, it never ceases to amaze me how our TV tastes line up so closely.

Amy and Rory lasted 2 seasons too long for me. I would have quit the show if they hadn't moved on. Clara was such an awesome replacement it was a huge relief.

Also, count me with the group that never wants to see Vastra, Jenny and Strax again unless it's in a cameo role. They don't add much at all IMO and should be put back on the shelf.

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Vincent and The Doctor is my favorite episode.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Count me in for full agreement.

Eccelston was my favorite of the reboot doctors as well, and Clara was my favorite companion, at least since Rose. Her debut as "soufflé girl" was one of the best Moffat episodes, IMHO and I found myself watching the last season only because of her. I can blame Matt Smith, but the quality of the writing was really down as well. "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" was a serious WTF moment.

I also think it's great for the franchise that all these young girls got into it because of Tenant and Smith, but it always bothered me. The Doctor is supposed to be a 2000 year old alien and the sexual tension / fan service I think betrays the character. Cipaldi kind of reset the portrayal back to the default, and I found it refreshing. I have high hopes for Series 8.

Vastra, Jenny and Strax are really boring characters. They were amusing for one episode, but that's it. I also don't want to see another episode set in Victorian London for a long, long time, but I'm guessing the props and costumes are easy and cheap to dust out of the BBC's costume loft so we'll probably see it again soon enough.

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

is there any chance the new Dr Who will swear like Malcolm Tucker?

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

I couldn't even understand most of his dialogue when he was acting confused.

The episode got way better as it continued though.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

The new one is out right? Ugh, gonna try and download it......

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I'm reluctant to get back into this show. The last episode I watched was the first episode of the 2nd half of season 7. I was so bored during it that I gave up halfway through. I don't know if I've lost interest in the show as a concept, or if Steven Moffat's crappy showrunning has just taken its toll.

#73 HeWhoIsLunchbox, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  14. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

What are you guys thinking of the show so far? I'm digging this season and the new Doctor. 'Listen' has been my favorite episode so far.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I watch this show with my youngest daughter and we both are having a difficult time with Capaldi's Doctor. For me, I have issues accepting him as the Doctor after his destroying Torchwood in "Children Of Earth" (I REALLY liked Torchwood) but his portrayal is extremely bland and somewhat confusing. I just don't get who he is supposed to be - he's like a confusing amalgamation of all the other Doctors. I am really trying but have already begun to drift away as I have the last two episodes recorded on the DVR but have yet to work up the urge to watch them.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

I feel it's more to do with the strength of stories. Episodes this season have been weak and poor.

It's about time the Doctor got a new companion too. I don't know how much longer I can stand hearing Jenna Coleman? mouth another "Yeah".

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've grown to like Clara this season. She is actually more interesting when she isn't thirsting for The Doctor. There are rumors that she is leaving after the Christmas special. It's a shame because I finally see the charm and potential when she was first seen in Asylum of the Daleks episode; she's finally doing stuff.

Did not like her during Matt Smith's run.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This 1000x. I like Capaldi but the stories are awful except for Listen.

Maybe Moffat needs to give it up. The weak stories are killing the show. Very disappointing.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I'm enjoying the new Doctor and have liked most of the episodes so far this season. The only one that's really been disappointing to me is last weeks.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am giving it time
    The Stories have not been strong at all
    Somewhat predictable

Capaldi needs to settle in . . . .He seems to overact at times
    He needs to find his groove . . his character

Rocket River