1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBC] Doctor Who

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Aug 11, 2013.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Day of the doctor was pretty good. Smith and Tenant worked extremely well together. All of the jabs about how young the new doctors are were pretty funny,especially the mid-life crisis joke.

Nice cameo my Tom Baker, and a split second for Capaldi.

I was hoping they would completely show John Hurts doctor regenerating into Christopher Eccleston's doctor to fully establish the doctors timeline.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I hate Stephen Moffet as a writer. Time travel is such a crutch for crappy writers like Moffet.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I missed the Day of the Doctor episode and don't see it on BBC America or Hulu websites. Anyone know where I can find it online?

4. tallanvor

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yea. Work was that he turned down the chance to appear in the episode. I think it is heavily implied that Eccleston was next with the "hopefully I'll be a little less conspicuous" and the 9th doctor is flamboyant and alien looking.

That was probably the greatest forehead cameo ever. I thought the setup to the "moment" was dragged out a little bit. Those monsters were pretty boring but everything after that was top.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't know if it was financial or creative, but either way the lack of Eccleston was a disappointment. John Hurts whole arc would have been much better with the 9th doctor instead of specially created Doctor just for this episode.

Not that John Hurt was by any means bad, but when the 3 of them came out of the Tardis, a trio of Eccleston,Tenant, Smith would have been epic.

I still enjoyed the episode, but I wish they could have worked it out somehow because it was really the only major letdown IMO. Since they were crossing timelines all willy-nilly anyhow, a cameo of Billie Piper actually playing Rose Tyler would have been nice too.

7. Brando2101

I don't think they would have wanted him for anything more than a cameo. At no point did the old staff or the new on the new series mention anything about how the 8th doctor became the 9th. They left that opportunity out there.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Eccleston left Doctor Who on very bad terms. He's made it clear since he doesn't want to have anything to do with the show.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As an episode, The Time of the Doctor was fair to middling IMO. The Day of the Doctor was a very hard act to follow and maybe I was expecting too much.

The setup to the regeneration and the transition itself were pretty good. I'm looking forward to Peter Capaldi and believe he will take the character to another level.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Someone commented on the end of the 'pretty boy' doctors
    [I chuckled]
    and the return to the cantankerous old man Doctor
    They were concerned that it could lose some audience

I dunno a lot about Capaldi . . .and I am very interested in his portrayal

Rocket River

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lLlEdEx3tn8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Brando2101

A part of that now parallels the story that the doctor's cycle has restarted so the new doctor is as old looking as the 1st.

I was really happy with everything considering they had 1 episode to cap Matt Smith's entire story arc. I'm sure it would have been a little more spread out if he stayed for another season. I thought his last words as the doctor were going to be "COME AND GET IT!" which in context was really awesome. He had a great last scene and it wasn't surprising he accepted his fate in the way that the 10th didn't.

I don't think people understand his impact yet since so much of his audience is young and is not on the web and in message boards.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I DVR'd and just watched the Farewell to Matt Smith. I didn't realize he was so popular and that the show exploded in popularity in the U.S. during his time as the Doctor. The fans in New York, Comic-Con, etc. He picked the perfect time to leave.

I'm still looking forward to Capaldi but indeed there is some risk with the change of direction.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea . . he seems immensely popular
    Though I prefer the two precious ones more

I did not like this last episode. . . far too much narrative for me

Rocket River

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Just watched The Time Of The Doctor last night.... It was good.. I was a bit lost since I stopped watching Dr. Who after Smith's first season.... I just simply lost interest with Matt Smith.... He was not a bad doctor its just Tennant was better... Not sure exactly how an older Doctor is going to appeal to this generation. A generation that is moved by sex appeal and attractive people... Its going to limit the Doctors romance possibilities with his companions since they are almost always really young.... I'm not against the move they are making but rather interested in Dr. Who again... Hope this one is good...

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What is the verdict on S8E1?

Mine: I liked Capaldi and think he will leave Matt Smith in the dust but thought the episode was a little cheesy.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I like Capaldi, but not having the love tension between the doctor and Clara is going to take some time getting used to. Who wouldn't be attracted to Clara? Having the a geezer hitting on her would be gross.

18. tallanvor

Matt Smith was by far the worst doctor. Capaldi is far superior. Looking for ward to the rest of the season.

19. Brando2101

I really loved Matt Smith. Capaldi is really off-putting but it is only 1 episode in.

20. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I think Matt Smith was awesome (but no DT), and I wonder how much Rory and Amy colored everyone's perspective of him. So much of his screen time felt tied in with those two characters, particuarly (obviously) Amy - after a season and a half, her welcome was outwarmed.. (reboot series fan only here, haven't seen the old ones)

I'm excited for the change, as usual. Missed yesterday, but can't wait for it. Here's to some new blood.