1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBALLBREAKDOWN: How Dwight Howard Helped Rockets Beat Dragic and the Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by recboil, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dragician

dragician Member

very bad title and very bad analysis - this is more of a freaking RANT!

2. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Is it only a jump ball on the lane violation if the two offenders step in at the same time? I've been trying to find out the rule on the net but can't the ruling when two players step in simultaneously.

I mean it's hardly fair to punish us with a jump ball when Morris is the one who steps into the lane first.

3. jms99

jms99 Member

I simply disagree with you. Graduating from Harvard with an Econ degree doesn't say that much about your intelligence other than that you are (usually) pretty smart at minimum. Yes, there are a lot of people that fail out of lesser colleges and some of those people that drop out of college or drop out of high school are GENIUSES. Yes, that's right, some people that don't graduate from college are geniuses.

4. jms99

jms99 Member

Again, test scores, college degree, gpa, all of these don't say much about a person's intelligence. Yes, you could generally say that high test scores, degrees, and gpa will mean that you are above average. However, that is all that you can really say. These tests and undergraduate courses are largely about putting in the effort. Geniuses out there won't be able to pass a History exam without opening up a book and memorizing the dates. You can be a "pretty smart" kid and get a perfect SAT score. You just need the right training, or be a good test taker. Jeremy was never asked to cure a disease. He was asked in high school and college to hand in his homework and memorize stuff and take a standardized exam which tests only high school level algebra.

I think you're giving the Harvard name too much reverence. It's just another school with Organic Chemistry II that you can take at community college and then transfer your credits to Harvard. A college is just a college. Especially if you're selecting thousands of kids every single year. Sure, the majority of the kids you select because you're a prestigious school will be at least pretty smart and hard working students.

You're not seeing the big picture, though. TONS of kids have perfect GPAs and high test scores. There are a few in every single high school. A lot just simply don't apply to Harvard. So, what does that mean? Are all these kids every single year that graduate from every single school in the nation EXTREMELY SMART? Or are they just kids that put in a lot of effort and are pretty smart?

Take any fool off the street and if he's willing enough, he can teach himself Algebraic Topology. Why? Because that stuff has all been invented already. All you have to do is try hard, read what other people have written, and follow the logic. It won't make you a great mathematician. It won't make you smart. But it will build your knowledge. And you'll be able to get an A if you ever take an algebraic topology course.

5. jms99

jms99 Member

How do i have no factual evidence to prove my point? Harvard is like every other college in the US. They are going to accept students with all kinds of different backgrounds. They're going to accept Great Musicians with low test scores. They are going to accept Great Fencers who suck at Math. That's just a FACT of all colleges in the US. Are you not from the US?

6. jms99

jms99 Member

I don't understand how I sound jealous. What I say are facts. Going to Harvard does NOT mean that you are a VERY SMART person. Jeremy Lin COULD BE A GENIUS.

All I'm saying, is that you can't say someone is significantly above average in terms of intelligence SIMPLY because they have a Harvard degree, or they have a High GPA or High test scores.

Let me repeat myself: I believe there is a POSSIBILITY that Jeremy Lin is a GENIUS. I simply DO NOT KNOW.

What I am saying AGAIN because you do not understand my point is YOU also do not know AT ALL HOW SMART HE IS simply by looking at a piece of paper that says Harvard on it. Or looking at a piece of paper that says GPA on it.

7. PeppermintCandy

I'm sometimes hard on DMo, but he did not look good to me in this clip. His screens seemed half a step slow and he seemed slightly out of position in most of the offensive sets, which I think affected the spacing. Maybe it had to do with his not having played much with the starters.

Also, I'm surprised by the stats regarding Howard's post ups. I assumed his post play was improving despite seeming so labored and forced, but I guess I was wrong.

8. PeppermintCandy

Also, Coach Nick seems to really like Beverley's hustle and team defense. The only other time I remember him gushing about a Rocket player's defensive skills like this was Battier.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Pissed, no more so than a player hitting a tough shot. I know that "flopping" and selling it is part of the game. I watched the Bulls and Jazz do it in the 90's and realized that it is just part of the game. If you do it properly, it pays off.

Dragic very obviously swiped in an exagerated fashion, that is almost always going to be a foul. If anything I am going to be pissed at Dragic for not using common sense. I don't blame the refs for that. They cannot see everything and and have to use common sense.

As far as DMO hitting his free throws, I don't think he is great from the line, but I do not think that he is terrible either, he has a small sample size. Players hit their free throws.... Howard sometimes makes both, and sometimes Nash misses.

No, it is frustrating, but it happens. I would be more pissed that Parsons was in a position to have a clear path to the basket.

The only thing really unusual was the screen by Howard, and he even does that more often than people realize.

The Suns blew a 10 point lead late in the game and did not execute well offensively. For all the praise Hornacek gets on this board, Dragic was not put in the position to maximize his talents in the last 4 minutes of the game.

Hornacek did not call a timeout after Dragic was clearly dazed, which lead to a turnover. Frye did not put himself in a position to get a good shot a few times and Morris had his usual blinders on, missing open shots. The spacing was BAD by the Suns.

The truth is that both teams made a number of errors, which is not uncommon for teams that are not used to playing together.

10. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO okay..... never mind that Beverley is generally in the right place at the right time and makes the best decisions on when to help defend on the Rockets.

Also, INSTINCTS are a big part of BBIQ.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I am not judging Lin on "one play".

I am judging him on a season and a half. He is not basketball r****ded, but he does not have an especially high basketball IQ. He consistently tries to help defend at the wrong time, switches at the wrong time and does not handle picks well. As a result he is out of position and running around like a chicken.

12. Spyckie

Spyckie Member

meanwhile, back to the thread on the BREAKDOWN...

I think Coach Nick was trying to say that Dwight's shady plays and no calls won the game for the Rockets, which is a little bit of a stretch but considering the horrible offensive sets highlighted in the breakdown, you can't really say what 'good plays' caused the Rockets to win this game.

I just really, really wish the rockets could get some good offensive movement on the court... :( it's so painful to watch this breakdown.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If he's going to credit Dwight's shenanigans for the win against Phoenix, then he should equally credit David Lee's shenanigans for the loss against Golden State. These are savvy veteran plays that good big men get away with in every single NBA game. Anybody who has watched Tim Duncan for the last 15 years understands that.

14. SirKen

SirKen Member

This was a glorious analysis on how Rockets were gifted a game and how there is so much we need to work on.

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The thing about Harden's flop is, he's actually trying to box out Tucker, a guy who averaged 4 ORBs per game against us. We should be praising him, not apologizing for his flop.

16. NickKent

NickKent Member

"Can you hear me shaking my head?" McHale is overmatched

17. JMG524

JMG524 Member

What I mean is that you have used absolutely no factual evidence to support your assumption that Jeremy, in particular, is of only slightly above average intelligence. Meanwhile, there is plenty of tangible evidence out there confirming the contrary (SAT score of 2061*, 4.2 gpa in HS, graduated w/ economics degree, etc.). The fact of the matter is that Jeremy's achievements place him at around the 95th percentile academically in this country, which is statistically far above average. You writing an essay on here trying to discredit Harvard's acceptance requirements is based on nothing more than conjecture and does nothing to make your case.

*http://topbet.eu/news/10-athletes-with-highest-sat-scores.html

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Great video. More proof we run absolutely no plays in our offense. This worked against Phoenix, but will work against OKC. How the hell can Lin fall asleep on Dragic like that?

19. jms99

jms99 Member

I agree. I just don't care because nobody on our team has high IQ. They all need serious coaching to get to the next level.

20. jms99

jms99 Member

No. I make no assumptions that Jeremy is only slightly above average intelligence. It is YOU who make the assumption that Jeremy is SIGNIFICANTLY above average intelligence based on High School GPA and a piece of paper that says Harvard on it.

I actually point out that there is the possibility that Jeremy Lin is a GENIUS. But of course I also point out the possibility of Jeremy LIn being merely "pretty smart" and a hard working individual.

Again and again you make the mistake of believing that 95th percentile academically equals being in the 95th percentile in pure INTELLIGENCE.

That is a wrong assumption. That is my whole argument. The only conclusion that we can come to based on his piece of paper that says Harvard on it and his GPA from High School is that he is probably AT LEAST pretty smart and probably a hard working person. Does that mean he CAN'T be a genius? No, it simply means we don't have the information to tell us where he lies on the intelligence scale.

The same is true for the opposite numbers. For someone who drops out of community college and has a GPA of 1.5 and bad test scores. You simply have NO CLUE AT ALL about this person's intelligence.