1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBall IQ - where do you see our players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 22, 2024 at 9:57 AM.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

need his TS% as well. That the ultimate indicator of how good a player is lmao

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That’s what people don’t understand while constantly judging these players holding them to unrealistic and arbitrary standards.

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"Guy who knows his TS% in pickup games" is a pretty funny thing to think about. Reminds me of Ice Cube's kid making fun of his dad for writing a song about keeping track of your assists and rebounds in pickup basketball.

4. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. Until I can find a way to measure BBIQ, and measure it, I agree my assessment is subjective and not fully dependent on facts. However, I would not reject BBIQ right away. Just like IQ is one of many measurements of intelligence, BBIQ is just one measure of potential to greatness. You can have all the BBIQ in the world but if you are not working on your body, it means nothing. So, I dont reject BBIQ right away like you do, but at the end we agree that it is not everything to measure a player's potential.

Remember my definition of BBIQ is the ability to manipulate the game beyond shooting and defense. It's an amalgam of understanding game flow, the strength/deficiencies/tendencies of your teammates, the strength/deficiencies/tendencies of your opponent( individually and team), and clock management and THEN the ability to leverage each one of those things (when needed!!) to benefit the team. I dont honestly see JG is doing that. Further, I believe his inconsistent play from game to game caused by underdeveloped BBIQ. Until he develops that (and he will but when?), he will limit himself on the court.

Reading the news today, I dont know if he will stay Rockets but even he doesn't, he needs to work on those issues. He has the potential to be great but...maybe he needs to fail to turn the corner...I dunno!

Stephen_A likes this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Basketball is a physical game. It’s a reactionary game. It’s an instinctual game. It’s also learned through repetition and drills. Coaches prepare players for different scenarios and situations (traps, zone looks, offensive sets) etc. Players put it all together and execute. So whatever BB IQ means I suppose it’s simply how well a player understands basketball principles and apply it to the current situation.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

You can't be serious. Are you comparing yourself to professional athletes? Really? These are professionals, getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars...of course, they will be held to higher standards...

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He never said what level he played at.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

What news?

You waxing lyrical about basketball IQ and not understand basic NBA media literacy(how most sources claim any blog as new reporting) is funny.

Can you elaborate on knowing "tendencies" of teammates? Show me from a half court set of let's say a universally believed higher IQ player in Amen for example knowing the tendencies of a teammate more.

I want to go beyond platitudes.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

AND I can say that you dont have the basic decency...but thats beyond your standards. JG might have low BBIQ but you definitely have low IQ!!!!! I really am done engaging with people like you and Dobuzzle or whatever his name is....Again, all you do is barking, attacking, name calling and reflecting...nothing basketball...nothing original

DaDakota likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Please share the news you heard today.

Nothin basketball?

Buddy explain to me a situation where you can split your definition of high IQ on a half court set Amen accomplished like knowing a teammates tendencies. I want you to apply your concept of IQ to a real life set play toy saw for a player like Amen or Sheppard in the g league that you think Jalen is incapable of.

11. meh

meh Member

I don't remember the chatter but I was curious so looked up his driving stats last season from nba.com

November: 9.5 drives per game. 50% shooting. 2.0 FTs
    December: 8.7 drives per game. 39% shooting. 2.1 FTs
    January: 8.8 drives per game. 46% shooting. 2.0 FTs
    February: 9.2 drives per game. 38% shooting. 1.1 FTs
    March: 10.5 drives per game. 56% shooting. 2.1 FTs
    April: 9.6 drives per game. 46% shooting. 1.8 FTs

Feels like the chatter happened because December was really bad so January looked like he improved, despite him actually better in November. Then the chatter died down again because he didn't carry over that January success into February. Like with most everything else about his game, Jalen lacks the consistency needed for people to get fully on board with him.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Where? I am a nobody as far as that goes? City league?

I mean I mostly played at the YMCA - but I did play with John Lucas, Rodney McCray, Allen Leavell, Pearl Washington to name a few.....also Joel Osteen...hehe....

So among my peers and those I played with/against, I was usually the highest BBall IQ on the floor - not always but most of the time.

BTW - one on one is not an indicator of a team sport and BBall IQ......wait until you kiddos get into your 40s and 50s and see how well you play.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Post Oak Y, Baby!

Good times.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes sir, did we play together? I played every afternoon at 4pm during the week and then the 7:00 am game on Saturday morning (full court with NBA players)

DD

15. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Are we all watching the same Cam Whitmore or is it just to **** on Green? This isn't a knock on Cam from me, but he's shown to have low IQ constantly.

Dobbizzle, harold bingo and Stephen_A like this.
  16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't see that, I see him as pressing too much and trying to do too much to impress - when he is forced into decisions they are usually ok.

His passing is good when he is asked to pass.....He is just 20......he isn't Reed Sheppard good with IQ, but he is at least avg.

DD

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Dude he didn’t pass in college and im sure he never was a passer in high school. He has no IQ according to your standards.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

If he's average an "basketball IQ" then no one is below average.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

WTF are you even talking about? I never compared myself to them, I provided my own experience as a reason to respect their game. Nobody said they shouldn't be held to a high standard either.

Go slap hands with BoobyTheFail while your reading comprehension skills catch up from '74.

Stephen_A likes this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Are u saying u had a higher IQ than John Lucas?

Dobbizzle likes this.