1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Health Care Bans Hiring Smokers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Sep 22, 2011.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Baylor Health Care is banning the hiring of smokers, and current smokers must pay a surcharge for their health insurance.

I understand the idea of banning smoking on the premises..especially at a hospital, but I think the banning of hiring people who use a legal substance off hours is heading in the wrong direction. Will obese people be next?

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpps/news/092211-Baylor-No-Smokers-Need-Apply_15142996

Baylor: No Smokers Need Apply
    Published : Thursday, 22 Sep 2011, 5:13 AM MST

By Alice Wolke | MYFOXDFW.COM

DALLAS - Want a dream job working in the health care industry? If you want to work for Baylor Health Care System and you smoke or use another nicotine product, you're out of luck.

Beginning Jan. 1, Baylor will no longer hire anyone who smokes.

On the company's Careers page, the rules are laid out:

Applicants who admit to nicotine use will not have their applications processed
    Anyone who is hired will be tested for nicotine
    If you test positive, your job offer will be withdrawn
    After a positive result, you can reapply for the job after 90 days
    The rules won't apply to current employees, but they are already paying a surcharge of $50 per year for health insurance. Under a new plan, that fee will increase to $650 per year by 2012.

Harsh? Maybe. But remember, Baylor banned smoking on all of its properties back in 2007. It's one of the largest employers in North Texas, and wants to set an example of good health for its patients.

Baylor Health Care has 14 hospitals and 100 clinics across the southwestern U.S.

Some have wondered if smoking control by an employer is the beginning of a slippery slope, and if an employee's weight or cholesterol level will be mandated next.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You would have to question a healthcare professional that continues to smoke absolutely knowing it increases cancer risks significantly. It indicates a lack of commitment to the care and science they are delivering. Besides they know it will cost their company more in health insurance and lost work days.

My best golf buddy just died recently from a cancer that started in his lungs and after 3 years of chemo and radiation went to his brain. It was ugly and sad and for him like I know him was degrading and embarrassing, to lose his looks, hair, speech, motor control and force his wife to go through all that. But he said
    " I did this to myself, I've smoked as long as I can remember and I knew the risks". So then he gets to die with that guilt on his conscience. Not to mention it wiped them out financially.

There is no right to be stupid.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

No issue with this. Makes sense.

4. Classic

Classic Member

They should be. Not underwriting on this criteria for health insurance is a crime to those that actually take care of themselves. When you buy life insurance, you're individually underwritten and it should be the same with health. JMO

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm obese, and I agree. Some people--often, myself included--need a kick in the ass.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would Vote Alcoholics before Obese people
    but
    then again . . we sure do hate 'fatties'

Rocket River

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What if you are . . . 'genetically' fat

Rocket River
    *chuckle*

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Then you belong to an elite percentage of the population. A percentage less than 5%.

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am a strong supporter of smoking restrictions, but this crosses a line. Your employer should not be able to dictate your legal non-working activities. This is bs.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It makes sense in that they damage the reputation of their employer when they smoke. It's part of their job performance. They have a material interest, just like schools won't hire p*rn stars, strip clubs won't hire fat people, catholic schools won't hire muslims and so on.

Moving on to fat people is too complicated and problematic. Smoking is an easy binary distinction.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i think this is just a move to block tamu from going to the sec

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So any and all unhealthy habits etc should be open to Job Discrimination?
    So if a woman gets pregnant and is unmarried .. . will we be ok with firing
    her for having unprotected sex? Can 'Catholic schools' fire one for having an abortion?
    I mean . .that would not look right. . .a Catholic School Teacher having an Abortion

Can Pepsi fire you for having a Coke at your Brother-N-Law's BBQ?

How invasive in our PERSONAL lives are we willing to allow our JOBS?
    Companies and Corps >>>> Personal Liberties?
    Only as much liberty as you can afford?

[​IMG]

Rocket River

14. esteban

esteban Member

Nobody hates smoking and smokers more than I do, with that being said, this policy is total BS!

You can not regulate what people do in their own time as long as it is legal. If we accept this policy than another one will come up soon. I also understood that Baylor is in the healthcare business but so am I and I still think this policy is full of crap!

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Too many things have detrimental effects on your health.
    Will they dismiss a Doctor because they are fat? How does it
    look for Jabba the Doc to tell me I need to lose weight?
    Alcohol - Doc Hennnesey trying to tell me to cut back on drinking?
    What about Doc boehner with a synthetic tan?

This slippery slope is just another way that companies
    gain leverage to basically fire who they want when they want
    without any real reason except they don't like you . . .
    The more of these 'loopholes' we find .. .the more companies
    will start practicing like it was the 1920s. . .

What's Won't get your hand cut off in the combine????
    Well .. you smoke right. . you fired. . .

Rocket River

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Is there anything more perplexing than a bunch of fat nurses standing 26 feet outside the hospital door smoking?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is a HIGH STRESS job . . . . .
    All it will take is one Skinny Non Smoking nurse to smother that MFer in rm 513 for *****ting in his *****ing sheets again

All could have been saved if she were allowed to have some comfort food and a smoke

Rocket River

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Then you are also genetically lazy and slow and smelly and dumb andbdeseve no humane treatment

19. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I think the ban isn't 'fair', but I can see why they're doing it...in the long run you have less money lost to healthcare for some smokers that will eventually become chronically ill... in addition to lost work hours due to numerous 'smoke breaks' they have to take. Their breath and clothes usually smell bad even if they try to conceal it, it's just dirty...I'm not sure a company, especially in the health field, would want someone like that representing them.
    But there are a lot of people who smoke, and some of them are really good workers...considering the shortage of workers in certain healthcare fields, I wonder if this might become a problem.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Totally agreed. Smoking is a legal activity that doesn't necessarily impose any work restrictions. This should be illegal.