1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hope Brent Gattis never gets a decent job again in his **** life. I wonder if he's gonna PM me on here butthurting.

2. Buck Turgidson

Fedora and Dykes sounds like the place Sam Fisher goes in Brooklyn to drink herb-infused vodka.

macho87 and bobrek like this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Some reports had Art Briles total comp north of 6 MM. I've read from the Baylor board that Rhoades was told that he wouldn't have a low budget to work with as a part of taking the job. My guess is that we're ready to pay a coach 3-5 M easily depending on his demand.

I was in Waco this past weekend. These people have lost it. BOR this. Art Briles this. Moving far far away from this is what is ideal.. not doing dumb crap like protesting.

4. sammy

Sounds legit. I could totally see this happening.

oakdogg likes this.
  5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I can't believe the people of Waco. A winning football team is worth selling your soul? Baylor got what they deserved this weekend...a total ass-whoopin'

duwende likes this.
  6. sammy

Great news. Time to move on.. can't wait until we clean house.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure why this is great news. Baylor has handled this whole situation as bad as possible.

As far as "cleaning house", they could have done that earlier and didn't.

Sadly I don't see much changing at Baylor any time soon.... the boosters are still the same depraved people, and the wealthy fans only care about winning at football and not the rapes or coaches and administration that covered them up.

8. sammy

Very important in the coaching search. The new coach doesn't have to deal with any sanctions

9. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you........ if there were sanctions, Baylor wouldn't be able to get a coach that they would be happy with.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Very important in the quest for justice. The new coach should have to deal with sanctions.

11. sammy

Sorry.

12. duwende

duwende Member

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

duwende likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Have any dignity?

The school has really looked ugly and been the poster child for putting the football program above all else...... rapes, systemic cover ups, boosters and fans really not caring as long as they can have big time football.

It is so counter to the values of Jesus Christ that it is disturbing.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have a serious question for Baylor partisans: Do you still believe the football program has a bright future? As an outsider with no bone to pick and no desire to troll in this thread, it's seemed obvious to me things will go south very fast after this year.

Some will reply by saying it all depends on who the new coach is. I disagree because nobody with legit options will come to Baylor because recruiting will be near impossible.

16. Buck Turgidson

They haven't molested any kids...

"Killed anyone today, Curly?"

"Day ain't over yet."

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Ummmm.... I'm not sure we are interpreting this news in the same way. All this means is that they aren't going to just say it was an "institutional failure" and rubber stamp sanctions after a week of news. They can still render all the same penalties if they approach the violations through a different filter. The NCAA is still probing the program and "that investigation will likely focus more narrowly on whether Baylor athletes received preferential treatment through the school’s disciplinary process, which could be an impermissible benefit under NCAA rules, the people said."

If they can prove that Baylor fielded a number of players that should have been ineligible then they can hit Baylor without worrying about the penalties thrown out. They'll go back to their bread and butter which is player eligibility. USC coaches probably knew Reggie Bush was getting paid by someone but they turned a blind eye. They lost 30 scholarships, a 2 year bowl band and forfeited wins. The question is if the NCAA can make an athletic eligibility argument when they are determining that eligibility based on that own coach's school. That seems like a stretch. I can't remember anything similar.

Still, the NCAA is coming for Baylor.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As a Baylor grad, it's all distasteful to me. I feel sorry for the kids on the field right now...and I'd rather suck like we did when I was in school there than have this mess. My older son (16 years old) has never had any interest in going to Baylor (where both me and my wife went)...and I'm just fine with that.

I don't know about recruiting. I don't know how much some kickass 17 year old WR or QB cares about this if he thinks that offense will get him numbers enough to be drafted in the NFL. I just don't know.

What I'm about to say is not an excuse for anything Baylor has done...because it's awful...but I shared in the other thread that this has been a huge problem at other universities as well. And universities have been sued for acting too quickly...and then sued by victims for not acting quickly enough. I do think we have to find another way to address these issues beyond hoping/praying that universities can act as police, investigator, prosecutor, judge and jury. Universities and athletic departments are not built to be that. I think Baylor's problems transcend that at this point, though.

To answer your question more directly...I don't know that I care if the program goes south at this point. And I'm way more concerned about the university (not just a football program) actively representing itself in a way that is consistent with the values it claims.

Buck Turgidson, Nook and RocketFan007 like this.
  19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

No, you aren't. But more importantly, no one who has a say in decision making at Baylor cares either. Football over God.