1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battlefield 3 - COD killer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rezdawg, Mar 2, 2011.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Battlefield Bad Company games have underachieved...yes, there are those select few that think BFBC2 was epic. However, the overwhelming majority of gamers felt that the COD series was still king.

After watching some videos of Battlefield 3...I think its safe to say that Call of Duty has met its match.

PC version will support 64 players online...consoles will support 24 players.

The prone position will be back as well.

Also, they are using the same technology they used in FIFA for player models/animations in order to capture a soldier moving more realistically.

Video contains language that may not be safe for work.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v0uYGdHB6Bg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

Wow, that actually looked amazing. I'm curious to see multiplayer gameplay, which is really the key factor

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Visually, looks great, though it is the PC version (good to see a developer taking advantage of the platform though).

Don't really have any strong opinions about the gameplay. Sure...I guess it might be better than CoD...but that wouldn't take much.

I'd rather have Mirror's Edge 2 (with Frostbite 2.0), or something along those lines, than yet another military FPS game though. If I get BF3, likely going to only be as "tech-demo" for my PC.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

animations and graphics are amazing but there are a few things they can change before the game comes out to add to the realism.
    1. The view through the acog scope is wrong.
    2. Why is he pulling back the charging handle every time he reloads? If your empty then all you have to do is press the bolt release. If your changing a mag with a round in the chamber then all you have to do is change mags.
    3. Unless you are a m249 saw gunner or 240 machine gunner, Marines do not have fully automatic m4s. We just have single and burst. And we rarely use burst.

5. Htown's2kFinest

That was on the PC right? No way that's the 360. If the 360's gameplay looks like that I'm sold.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This.

This also. I'd rather they did Mirror's Edge 2, and then just released more map packs for BC2, including for the Vietnam expansion.

7. VanityHalfBlack

8. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Wow!! I just found my next FPS game!!!

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

no bc2 is nothing like the main Battlefield games. 64 player support, huge maps, proning out.... battlefield 3 is the first true next gen successor to battlefield 2.
    Don't get me wrong, Bad Company 2 is a fun game but the style has a more run and gun feel.

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Battlefield is never going to beat Call of Duty. It's just not possible.

11. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i started with MOHAA and Battlefield 1942 on the PC and those games were awesome. Battlefield 2 was epic. Something happened i think it was dice making for consoles instead of pc and the games suffered. This looks to be epic and i will definitely will be buying this for the 360 regardless of the graphics downgrade.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think it is a stretch to say that they have met their match after only seeing a trailer for the game.

It does look amazing visually, while the gameplay and mechanics look very similar to COD games, in fact they seemed almost identical. That being said, I have never been impressed by a Battlefield game in the past. This one certainly looks better, but I will have my doubts until I see several reviews for the game.

And honestly, the modern warfare FPS is being done to death. It has reached the point that WWII shooters did 5 years ago where everyone was sick of them and COD 4 revolutionized the genre with a Modern Warfare game. Someone needs to do something new, I don't see any FPS in the near future that excites me.

13. A00man

A00man Member

Call of Duty was never going to be as popular as Halo. It just wasn't possible...

Things change, and Battlefield 3 certainly looks to be a much better game than Call of Duty 2010, and will probably be better than Call of Duty 2011.

Activision certainly knows how to milk a franchise. It's sad that instead of any innovation, Call of Duty has turned into the Madden of the FPS genre.

1 person likes this.
  14. A00man

A00man Member

Yea, that was definitely PC. There will definitely be a downgrade in graphics on the 360/PS3.

15. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

cs1.6 still king

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, looks amazing.

17. A00man

A00man Member

Awesome gifs:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Must download and watch from Gamersyde. Their videos are encoded much better than YouTube and looks more like the game will be when you are actually playing.

Right click and save.

Seriously freakin amazing!

18. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

One of the primary reasons that COD is the most popular FPS is because it hits the mark of being fast paced in small environments. Most folks, including me, prefer a quick kill/die rinse/repeat game play. Anything that's too large (both in map size and quantity of players) like Battlefield ends up being a frustrating mess, especially if you're playing by yourself and relying on a squad of randoms.

Graphics, IMO takes a back seat to basic gameplay formula. You might complain about the in-game balance issues between spawn points, weapon balance, perk balance and killstreaks...but that's aside from the basic gameplay formula.

19. RocketMania1991

Battlefield Revolutionized online FPS. It set the standard.

Battlefield 3 will be a beast of a game. I will definitely have to upgrade to a new computer for it.

Poops on COD.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Looks amazing. But COD and Battlefield are two different "styles" of FPS games.