1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier Not going to Beijing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Illmatic, May 15, 2008.

1. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

It was just on ESPN now that Battier announced he would not be participating in the Beijing Olympics so that he can recover from injury.

I never thought he would make the team anyways, i wish Yao could make the same decision too ( I kidd I kidd)

2. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

Here is the link

3. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

You can always hope Yao won't make the team. :p

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Very good move, he has just had a surgery, he needs to rest after a tough season and he just needs to recover from his injury. Even without him USA is still the best

I wish Yao could make the same decision :D

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do you mean the Chines national team won't be there? Yao is the team! :D

7. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

for Yao, the argument goes like: Even with him CHN is still the mediocrity that cant reach Final 4

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The US, Arg.,greece,spain are all better.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Unfortunately for Yao, he will be there and playing whether he wants to or not...He is China and has to represent...

10. ThaShark316_28

With the quake that happened in China...it would be nice if the Chinese BBall team got far in the bball tourney...dont want em to beat us tho.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It would take a miracle for China to get to the final 4.

12. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

They are the top 4 teams, but any two of them might meet before the semi-finals. China has gone to Final 8 several times. With home court advantages, there's a chance (small) to go one step further.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

that's right. I also understand Yao that he wants to play for his national team because it shows your love to your country. What's more I also understand Yao that he wants to play this year for China because it is their time - they are hosting Olimpics.

But damn, I would be HAPPY if Yao didn't play in those olimpics. Rest rest and rest, maybe that will leave him injuryless next season

14. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

Well, see it this way, with the recent atrocious play of Yi and the injuries they had on their national team, maybe, they wouldnt make it out of the group round and thats more resting time for Yao. If Yao can win it all or get second place, then i hope his Chinese squad kicks serious butt. But if he is gonna put his soul out there and his team does not reach any major accomplishment, then i would rather he left after group stage- so he can rest

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Keep in mind this gives Yao a shot, all be it small, at winning a medal. That is a big deal no matter who you are. His main motive though is China...

Oh yeah this post was originally about Battier... sucks for him but I'm glad he's realistic about his chances with injuries. Battier is always the smart guy on the team. Plus I mean really... who is crazy enough to play injured and risk next season because... oh yeah... Yao... forgot... sorry.