1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier/Gay trade revisited after 1 game!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Nov 1, 2006.

1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

lmao.. :D .. that thread was hilarious.. "INKNOWN COMMIDITY"? brilliant!!..
    hold on, what is "inknown" again?? :D

2. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

well, that's probably because Padgett filled in his place :rolleyes: :cool: ..

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No. The Rockets outscored the Jazz by 8 points while he was in the game. That has nothing to do with how the Rockets played with Battier on the bench.

4. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

oh sorry, I guess I misenterpreted your earlier post.. that's an intersting stat..
    well, I guess it's because when he JVG put him back in the game after the early fouls, The Jazz were resting their main players..

5. durvasa

6. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I guess I am wrong again.. u got me again durvasa.. :mad: :D
    I was just saying that he contributed very little Offensively and he didn't do what we expected him to do defensively.. now I think the stats u just provided say other stuff, but stats are often misleading.. I dont believe in stats as a tool to evaluate a player .. especially when u r evaluating Battier which is known for doing the things that dont show in stats..

7. durvasa

I think you have it backwards. He's known for doing things that generally go unnoticed (don't show up in a boxscore) that help his team win. It appears to me that's exactly what happened. You don't think he was doing much offensively or defensively. He didn't score much, didn't collect many rebounds, etc. But, in fact, while he was in the game the Rockets outscored the Jazz by 8 points. Why? Look at all the deflections he got that don't show up in the box score. The balls he tipped to a teammate. Most of the fouls he commits are in help situations that prevent an easy score. And he played an efficient, largely mistake free offensive game (other than the two botched free throws). It may not be fancy, but that's winning basketball.

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

9. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Congrats to R Gay for his 1st NBA game. He should thank his lucky start that he is on the Griz and not the Rockets team. Being the only "talent" will get you 21 shots. I just wish our own talent Yao could get a few more :(

As for a bad trade. It's not. Gay would not get the shots here and would "look" bad. If he took 21 shots here, he'll be labelled a ballhog or blackhole if Yao gets 12 (which he did).

Battier is the glue that will get this team to the next level. Gay looks good now and may even be a star later but on this team at this time, he would not be doing as well.

I am disappoint they lost but really, R Gay is not a Rocket and like it or not, that's a fact of life.

Move on, root for the team and hope they win a few championship in the next 4 years. Then you will all say. Rudy T right........

10. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Rduy took about the same percentage of the Grizz shots as Alston took of the Rockets shots, so to say there would not be enough shots for him is just being naive.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what does it mean if rox outscored the jazz by 8 while 4 yr veteran battier was in the game while the grizz outscored the knicks by 4 while rookie gay in his first nba game was in the game?

http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20061101&game=NYKMEM

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It means the Rockets got mauled, molested, raped by Jerry West.

Apparently the sick pleasure of getting abused over the Mike James-Alston of just a year ago was not enough. Either that or it felt too good and the feeling had to be revived.

13. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

ONE GAME!

14. durvasa

All it means is both teams played better than their opponent while they were on the court. In Battier's case, we lost by 10, so that means the Rockets were outscored by 18 when he wasn't in the game. If we're going to pin the loss on someone, it probably doesn't make too much sense to blame him.

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Please understand nobody is really blaming Shane Battier. He is a smart player and solid contributor. Nobody, or very few, denies that.

But ppl does have a lot of reasons to b**** about the price Rox paid for his service. Rudy Gay + Swift for Shane Batter was an uneven trade and it was not even close.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

durvasa, I have a question for you. On the GameFlow page, what's the 2nd number in a bar that shows a pair of numbers for individual players? It doesn't look like a number for rebounds, fouls, or assists, rather, it seems a highlight number that could be any one or combination of those.

#116 wnes, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  17. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

You are being too harsh here. Rafer is the PG in our team while Rudy is a Forward in your team. So basically Rafer could take as many shots as he thought appropriate since the ball is often in his hand at the beginning of each offensive play. I am not saying Rafer a ballhog but apparently Rudy gained the trust of his coach and teammates to pass the ball to him and let him finish it. Do you seriously think that Rudy would have 21 shot attempts a game in Rockets?

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What's even more weird is the Rockets lost. So what does all this $Ball mumbo jumbo mean? The Rockets would have lost by 18 instead of 10 without him? That Mehmet Okur would have had 25 points instead of only 17 if Battier wasn't defending him so well and taking all of Memo's charges?

Let me explain how flimsy that +8 is. Battier was -1 until Q4. He was +9 in Q4...because of what? Because he was on the floor when Rafer Alston gained consciousness and hit a few (3) threes. Alston was -4 for the game...but +9 when he and Battier were on the court in Q4.

Now did Okur have much of a game? He was +11. OK..I think I get get it...Okur is a great $Ball player, too.

It's a popcorn machine short hand for something called "Help Value". Calc'd as follows...

hv = rebounds + assists + steals + blocks - turnovers:

#118 GATER, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  19. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Pretty sure you did. No big deal though cause I know because of Yao, English isn't everyone's first language.

20. Panda

Panda Member

Gay proved that he can be a great complimentary player on a loaded college team.

All this since we have two superstars we don't need more stars we only need role players talk is pretty much baseless.

I don't know how much Battier's intangibles can sell in the market, all I know is that the Lakers, with Kobe and Oneal being more dominant than 111 got to the finals with Karl Malone who averaged 20-8 on the Jazz and next year 14-9 on the Lakers. I'd venture to say that if Karl Malone was healthy in the finals against the Pistions the Lakers has a chance to win, and if Malone was healthy and ten years younger the Lakers would've won it all.