1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier/Gay trade revisited after 1 game!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Nov 1, 2006.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Of course there's a thread about this... :rolleyes: One f'n game, are you kidding me...Gay is a talent, but I'd rather have Shane because he's so versitle and is Mr. Hustle...

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You need to check what 'fairweather' means.

If I only cared for rockets when they were winning I would be one. But since I have cared for them since 1990, whether they won or sucked, ehh....you get the point.

Before you go around calling someone kid, make sure you come with better arguments then "Battier is the ****. get over it." *laugh*

BTW, was that "admit he's Gay" post over yours an attempt at humor. Pretty pathetic one if it was.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ha! We need anyone who can score 20+. JVG's offense is usually challenged to score.

Rudy Gay will be able to do EVERYTHING battier can and do it better. Oh yeah, he will also be able to do stuff that Battier can only dream of.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my concern was that we didn't get VALUE. that we have up a tremendous prospect for a role player.

a trade of gay for battier and something else, would have been better. but we shipped away swift and gay for battier...that's it. i felt a lot better about it after the bonzi acquisition, actually...because though i didn't see us as a shane battier away from being a contender, i thought bonzi sped up the process. he needs to get his ass to the gym.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i really don't mean to be too negative after only one game, but last night illustrates a point I made about battier concerning the nowitzkis and marions of the world. battier is great against lessor pfs, he's gonna get killed against the better ones. like boozer, he's just not athletic enough, or strong enough to neutralize them. if anything, it just proves that this team is still a powerforward away.

6. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Agree 100%. Still bitter. Still feel like vomiting when I think about the trade.

Even if Rudy Gay is a question mark... given that we were only in the lottery becuase of a fluke, that was likely our only chance to get a stud rookie for the next 5, 6 years. He fell into our laps. And we blew it.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but he had 5 rebs and 4 blocks more than battier plus less fouls

8. wuffe

wuffe New Member

Ok .. I eat and breath basketball.. I know this Batier is a Good fit for Rockets, yes BUT.......... YOU gave away the Rookie of the year when you traded Rudy GAY!!! Doesn't Matter if the Rockets Weren't going to Pick him, if they had a chance to pick him they Should have!!!! He was the Best available talent. Can't you tell ! This guy is going to be the next superstar..He's only going to get better. Im getting sicker by the minute. This reminds me of the Eddie Griffin debacle. We had The R.Jefferson guy (whois with Nets)in the draft and gave him up along with 3 first rounds for e. griffin. The only saving grace about this whole debacle is we just happened to get Bonzi Wells. He'll throw some spark into our anemic offense, he has the stubborness neccessary to be a leader . Other than that, you guys get a clue , that was the worst trade Ever... we just traded away the Rockets future AGAIN ... ohhhh .. there is another good thing .. The GM is retiring .. He is a nice guy ... but ...... what can I say..

9. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

You do realize that your Eddie Griffin example is contradictory right? Screwing that up by going with raw talent (like a Gay) is probably why the Rockets wanted to stay away from guys like that.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I watched alot of that game last night and Rudy is going to something special in a few years, but what really makes me sick is the #24 pick Kyle Lowry 6'0 PG grabbing 10 boards last night. That #24 pick should be playing for the rockets. Lowry is what JVG calls a "knife fighter".

11. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Why do people keep suggesting Rudy Gay is raw? He is not Stromile Swift.

Rudy Gay did not come directly from high school. He was a sophomore that was the leading scorer for what was the #1 team for most of the year.

His work ethic has never been in question.

Also, Rudy Gay fell in the draft for the same exact reason that most of you critics are saying the Rockets needed Battier. He blended in with a really talented team.

The evidence is right before your eyes. Rudy Gay is simply a more talented player. Everything Battier does, he can do it better. However, there are things he can do that Battier can only dream of having the ability to do. Imagine Rudy being able to work against the other team's 2nd best perimeter defender. :eek:

This will be funny to watch unfold...my guess is that it will get so bad that Rudy Gay's name will be foridden from the GARM.

12. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

I'm still bitter, that's why I haven't changed my sig. I've never like Battier and that goes back to his Duke days and people praising the fact that Memphis made a great choice in selecting him 6th overall and how for some strange reason the high schoolers that were selected high were slammed but his overrated a$$ was excused. Oh and Memphis never won a playoff game (forget series) with him there, yeah he sure is a big impact on wins and losses. He's just there, if you win it won't be because of him and if you lose it won't be because of him. Even if Rudy doesn't become an all-star, I'll still dislike everything about Battier's game ... down to the Duke flops (err K calls them drawing charges).

months later and still :mad: :mad:

13. littleyao

littleyao Member

Come on, this is just one game. Yes, Gay had a terrifc game, but it's a bit too early to declairm him the next Jordan/Magic. No doubt the guy's got talent, but he has to be able to do what he did in a consistent manner. So my take is it's still too early to judge the trade, let's wait and see!

14. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

He doesn't need to become the next Jordan/Magic for this trade to be deemed horrible for the Rockets. He just needs to be better than Battier. When this trade was announced I said it was a dumb move because Gay will be better than Battier in 2006-07. All this it's only one game stuff, I agree because if he keeps this up he'll be twice the player that Battier is as a rookie. I'm only expecting him to be better this year, not THAT MUCH better. If he kept that up I don't know what I would say.

15. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

The problem with that is that Battier didn't guard Boozer. Battier guarded Kirlenko - and if you look at the stats, he shut down AK who is normally their top scorer

16. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

This isn't going to be pretty.

I expect the Rockets to have a great season, and I expect Battier to be a nice fit. But I also expect Gay to have a strong (or terrific) rookie year, and I expect a lot of bitter, bitter second-guessing for months and years to come.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

After the years of franchise playoff futility unparalleled in NBA history, Grizzlies fans are so desperate that they now run to other boards to gloat after home losses to the Knicks. :D :p

18. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

I'm not going to judge this on one game. Battier had an off game due to foul trouble, but will rebound. Gay took 21 shots to get those points. No way he gets 21 shots here. Plus he needed triple OT to get it as well. Not very efficient.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Battier has to rebound ...

Foul trouble or not, a grand total of 1 board in 32 minutes of action is simply not excusable for a starting forward.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Am I the only one that thinks that Bonzi could have checked Boozer last night? Bonzi has good bulk, and he would be quicker than Boozer. It will be fun to see how he contributes defensively when he gets down to 240.