1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier for Rudy Gay/Stromile is not paying dividends

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I posted this in The Gay Watch thread, but it fits here as well:

The Rockets got Battier because they wanted to "win now" last year. Looks like Rudy Gay is winning games by himself now. Battier was scared as hell when he got the ball during the final possession when the Rockets had a chance to tie it. He didn't even want to dribble and couldn't wait to pass it. On the other hand, Gay embraced the pressure during crunch time and shot a cold blooded 3 in Tim Duncan's eye to win the game.

2. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Thinking of Gay's three ... what is so incredibly difficult about dribbling to a spot, setting ones feet and shooting a jump shot? I mean, I'm not a super jock, but that's a move *I* can do. Dribble, jump, shoot. It is that easy.

Gay did it and made the three (way outside my comfortable range ... hehe). Why can't Battier do anything like that? The only baskets he can make are silly hook shots and corner threes with his feet set. Isn't dribbling, jumping and shooting the J a basic skill? Why doesn't Battier have this very basic basketball fundamental? Why doesn't Alston have it? Why doesn't Hayes have it? Only two players out of our starting five can dribble and shoot. Incredible!

3. MaxwellsTemper

Almost any NBA player is an incredible shooter in a practice situation. Its a lot different when you have an NBA caliber player manning up on you with a hand in your face.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Battier can take a couple dribbles and shoot with accuracy. Sometimes, when he receives inside the arc and he's open, he take a couple dribbles to position himself behind the line and then shoot it. He's reasonably accurate on those shots. The problem is he can't do that with a player guarding him, and the reason is he can't jump. Compared to Gay, he has a very low release point.

Gay's ability to create a shot for himself isn't exactly common. The guy has developed into a very good offensive player in his second year. I knew there was a good chance it would happen eventually, but I didn't expect it to happen this soon. Combine that with injuries and inconsistent play from our two superstars and a steep decline in offensive productivity from Shane, and this trade is looking worse and worse.

5. ricky812

ricky812 Member

Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back i still would have done the gay for battier deal (though i think giving swift away was excessive). Battier was invited to join team USA and even started, so you knew he did something very well, while gay reminded me too much of eddie griffin. My dumbass was probably the first one to start a trade 3 drafts picks for eddie griffin thread back in the day and I thought we would get burned again with rudy. Both had amazing "potential", but also had similar attitudes problems, eddie reminded me of tim duncan in that he NEVER showed emotion on the court, and rudy was probably the only elite basketball player i have ever seen yawn multiple times. Both started off the year ranked number #1 on draft board, and both fell down to basically the same position when teams did more scouting. And honestly you can't say he would playing nearly as well with the rockets. Had he not been traded he may not have had the fire, and with Jeff van gundy as our coach last year it would be unlikely that he would have developed so fast. And on top of that memphis does not have yao or tmac so gay would not have the shots attempts with us either.

6. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

But isn't that working on your offensive game is all about. You have to have the ability to make space. Whether you do that with a pump fake, or cross over, or jab step, or drive, or show and go, you just need to make space. Battier just doesn't have any offensive game. Being able to dribble and pull up is such basic basketball. Why can't Battier even do that? He has many opportunities during a game. For example, when he get the ball in the corner but not enough time to shoot a three when someone is closing out, he can pump fake, dribble and then shoot. I don't care how athletic and big the closer is, he can't change directions in 0.05 seconds and he doesn't have a wingspan of 15 feet.

7. jerm2010

jerm2010 Member

These threads are always so negative

I'm sick of it

Can somebody post a thread saying

"Yao is seeking improvement"

or

"Bonzi effective in minutes played"

JESUS

8. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

This was one game. Dont talk about Gay winning games by himself now because the Grizzlies have one of the worst records in the league. Gay hit a game winner. Kudos to him. Where was your Battier wins games by himself thread after he hit the three against the Lakers this year.

Memphis has Pau Gasol and Mike Miller to play along with the great Rudy Gay yet they have no shot at the playoffs. He has great stats on a terrible team. Im not saying he isnt and wont become a very good player, but dont crown him a superstar yet. One game winner. Thats all it was.

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Look at Gay's stats. It's obvious the Rockets got thoroughly screwed on that deal. You're in denial if you won't admit it. Last night was just the Coup De Grace for the non-believers. The Battier experiment has failed and it's time to ship Guitar Hero Shane out of here. Corey Maggette might be available.

Who would you rather have: Shane Battier or Rudy Gay?

10. BarkleyHater84

I would love to have Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift right about now. Honestly, if we had those 2, we beat The Jazz in that series last year. :eek:

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Battier looks great out there, nailing the wide open 3.