1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier for Rudy Gay/Stromile is not paying dividends

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Nov 30, 2007.

1. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Today proved to me that Shane's defense is one of the most overated things ever. He constantly got beat off the dribble by anyone he was guarding. He simply has ZERO athleticism. When Kirk Snyder came in, he did such a better job of containing guys and forcing them into difficult shots. ANd i say to myself, we gave up Rudy Gay who's having a great 2nd yr with Memphis and Stromile!! THis team sorely lacks athletes. Although Tmac looked like he flat wanted to not be their tonight, he still is our best athlete. It's a problem that has never been addressed. BTW, SHane didnt do ANYTHING in the playoffs last yr. It seems like he is not really much of a shooter. He's becoming quite the offensive liability, and Im not noticing much of the intagibles as he brought last yr. ANd finally I can't tell u how many wide open 3's he has missed this yr.

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

It took you until now to figure out Shane was a marginal defender?

Shane is a good team defender, but individual, he's average at best. Shane is looking worse and worse as the season goes on.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It's only going to get worse because Rudy gay is only going to get better.

Does not matter how many 'glue guys' you have on your team if you don't have the talent to begin with. This team is seriously lacking in the athletic department. Since Rockets will be over the cap due to Yao/Tmac salaries, nabbing a big time talent in the free agency is going to be pretty damn difficult. Their gift came in last year's draft but they squandered a lottery pick on a guy who is...well... definitely not a lottery pick material.

Cant blame the basketball gods.

1) They gave us the lottery pick.
    2) They left Rudy Gay to be had when Rockets were set to make their pick.

#3 Zboy, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  4. slickrick

slickrick Member

I want to say that its still early but i never liked that trade anyway we could have gotten much more is it to late for a do over

5. Alirules

Alirules Member

YOu guys don't know anything about basketball. Seriously. You can't have all these scorers at the same time. Lets see we have Tracy and Yao. That 60% of the shots. Alston who is always open. He takes another 10%. Bonzi, Steve, and Mike all scorers off the bench. You need guys like Shane, Scola, Hayes toplay defense and get open and take open jumpers. Rudy Gay would be lost here. Just like swift was lost here. Unless we traded Bonzi and Mike James for Rudy Gay it makes no sense. We need Battier. If you guys just stop watching the basketball all the time, and watch the nuiances of the game u will understand.

6. foo82

foo82 Member

WE WERE NEVER GOING TO KEEP GAY ANYWAYS!!! THE ONLY and I mean ONLY REASON WE DRAFTED HIM WAS TO GET BATTIER.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Who name 3 players on the team that are consistantly scoring??? What they need now is a scorer and an athlete.

8. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

I always said it was a dumb short sited trade and like you say it's only going to get worse because Rudy is only going to get better.

9. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

True but that only makes the Rockets look dumber.

10. matty101

matty101 Member

Firstly, you have to remember that shane was marking Bdiddy for some of the night. That in its self is tough but when you are a 6-8 sf its even harder. When he [played on SJAX he did ok. Jackson shot 6-19 i think.

I think battier will come up big for us in some big games heading towards the playoffs and in the playoffs. His experiecne and defensive leadership will be extremely valuable.

As for whether he is worth Gay, as foo82 said, if we werent going to get battier we would not have taken Gay anyway so the discussion is pretty much irrellevant.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Battier can't stop Baron Davis. He must really suck.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The thread title is Battier is not paying dividends. First round playoff exit last year and .500 record this year, he was brought here to win now and we haven't done that. Looking at his numbers, you can't make a case that the guy has helped the team all that much.

He has some wonderful qualities but an impact player he's not.

13. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

I disagree.

I would do that trade again... ;)

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its seriously the stupidest defense of the trade. I wish people would refrain from using it.

15. RedRaiderRocket

If you mean fantasy wise yes the trade has really hurt the Rockets if you mean record wise you might have to think twice before posting something like this. The Grizzlies finished with what the 2nd worst record last season, and right now are 5-10. For probably the 5000th time the Rockets had 0 intentions of drafting Rudy Gay, does it make our front office look more dumb without a doubt but that was going to happened. Shane Battier has been a career 45% shooter and a 39% 3 point shooter. He will find his shot in time. Did the Rockets do a poor job in managing the whole situation without a doubt, but no reason to hold it against Battier. Shane might be a bit of overrated 1 on 1 defender, but he plays excellent team defense, which is what the Rockets have been all about since JVG was here.

16. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

As of last year, it was a great trade. But now that the Rockets have moved on to a different style of offense, he's being counted on to be more of a slasher instead of a spot up shooter, which we all know is not his game.

He's a great fit with JVG, but with RA it's a different story.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sure you can. It depends on what numbers you look at, and how you interpret them. Daryl Morey is a numbers guy, right? And he evidently likes him.

Of course, if the number you're interested in is fantasy ranking, then you're right.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've defended the trade for a year, but I'm finally ready to admit it was a bad one. Yes, the Rockets never intended to draft Gay but that doesn't change the fact that we gave up a high 1st round pick for an average role player.

When you have a draft pick that high, you don't think about next year, you think about the next ten years.

19. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Yup. Like Team USA was lost out there. Can't have Kobe, LeBron, Carmelo and Redd together. Just a bad idea.

20. northeastfan

northeastfan Member