1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier for Lewis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ooliverb1, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Possum

Possum Member

Call it what you want but it doesnt get any slower than Jeffs style.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

why do you think jeff was constantly waving his arms trying to get his players to get up the court faster? cause he wants to slow it down? :rolleyes:

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He was the coach. If he wanted to wave his arms around to get the players to get up the court faster, and they were not getting up that court faster, what does it say about the arm waving coach? That he was too short and they couldn't see him? That his players were myoptic? That they had tuned him out? That all the arm waving didn't mean diddly squat?

Honestly, I saw him wave his arms. Considering the results, he could have been a double arm amputee, or been Krishna with a host of extra arms, and it wouldn't have made any difference.

4. Possum

Possum Member

Yeh he was a regular showtime fast break type of coach. :rolleyes:

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah man. because if you're not a showtime fast break coach you're obviously the slowest team in the world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: there's no middle ground right? you know like the spurs or the jazz, maybe cleveland or detroit. you know the last 4 teams left in the playoffs.

idiot.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the flailing wasn't to get a fastbreak going, it was to get the offense started sooner and give them more time to get a shot.

it's just people like possum make it sound this is the fratello cavaliers of the 90's where gundy is trying to keep the score in the freaking 80's. i mean the rockets averaged 97 points a game. that's not bad.

we didn't have a fastbreak sure, but i don't buy this slow it down bullsh!t at all.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Check this out:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/jason_quick/audio/index.ssf?0607quick

Jason Quick, Blazers beat reporter from the Oregonian in a chat. Toward the end of the broadcast, he talked about Houston having talked about trading Battier for both Jack/Webster and Jack/Outlaw but ultimately decided against both ideas because the trade wouldn't help the team compete against the Spurs/Mavs/Suns

Seems like the Rockets would trade Battier, but only if the return would really help the team. I guess Battier, besides Yao/TMac is the most valuable trade chip.

2. As for the pace of the Rockets. The Rockets points per game and FG attempts per game were both 15th out of 30 teams in the league. So, they were not really nearly the slowest paced team in the league.

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

Outlaw is the kind of athlete we really need on this team. Long and rangy kinda like a Matt Barnes for the Warriors.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I haven't seen him for a long time. I like his speed and ball handling. Has he developed a jumper?

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i dont think jack is the answer at the pg, backup pg quite possibly but i think he started in portland would probably expect to start here in houston because well he probably is better than rafer.

webster i think will be the odd man out, he was drafted really high but hasnt really been given a chance, but i dont think portland is going to give up on him, he can help be the wing man on a very promising young portland team.

outlaw is a bit more interesting he has gotten a little better in each of his years in the nba but he is still basically doing what he did in hs, dunk on people. imagine him as a stromile swift, but outlaw may get better but not by leaps and bounds imo.

i think the rockets should keep battier unless a trade scenario where a versatile offensive player (like lewis) comes along, battier provided a lot of the little things that is needed and relieved a lot of defensive pressure from tmac.

11. Possum

Possum Member

Your calling me an idiot with a stupid response like that? Listen dimwit, Gundy ran a half court set offense that used most of the shot clock. He was a horrible offensive coach. On top of being very predictable it was horrendous to watch. You need to get your head out of Gundys jock. He isnt here anymore so quit getting so upset everytime someone says something about him you dont agree with. Now go to bed. The little bus gets to your house awful early. Sped! :p

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm sorry, i can tell i'm working with a real genius here. my response was only to this factually wrong comment:

"Call it what you want but it doesnt get any slower than Jeffs style."

which you can't seem to defend.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

outlaw's shot is pretty nice.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

sorry for the double post, forgot to mention...he does remind me A LOT of stromile though. in stromile's defense, he never got the chance to be healthy and play with tmac / yao at the same time...but it's not someone you want to remind me of though.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good catch! Very interesting. Jack/Webster or Jack/Outlaw would really improve the youth on this team.

I like Battier, but he clearly is the best trade chip and if you can move him to improve the youth/athleticism or add in more offense that you have to do it. Like knowing that Rockets management is looking at a lot of options.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The single best trade chip remains Bob Sura('s contract)...and a willingness to accept a team's salary 'dump'.

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

we'll probably need to trade with a team that wants to have more cap space for the 08-09 season... Detriot, Miami, teams that are on the verge of 'rebuilding'.

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

How in the hell did the Rockets have three first round picks and not take Rashard with one of them?

What a pathetic franchise. Charlie Casserly must have started consulting for the Rockets after 1995, cause they've been real idiots since then. The ugly uniform change, the Barkley trade, firing Rudy, hiring JVG, letting Calvin go, passing up Rashard, the list goes on and on.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

i think its time to move on...

20. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Yea, enough time's gone by, I think we can give the Rox a pass for screwing that draft up. Why don't we also give the Texans a pass for bungling the VY/Reggie Bush draft. Also, why is Jeff Skilling in jail? They should let him out. After all, that happened 6 years ago. It's time to move on.