1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier for Lewis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ooliverb1, Jun 2, 2007.

1. yaominn

yaominn Member

i cannot believe ppl here think we can get artest with any combinations of head, alston, howard, vspan, snyder ....

even artest forces a trade to houston, the kings won't do it, they would rather pay artest and let him do nothing than taking back those players.

2. Danbury

Danbury Member

I can't believe people think we can get anything of value with any combination of those players...

3. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

have you seen the offers out there for artest? that really isn't a bad package at all if youre competing against the likes of kenyon martins sh!tstack of a contract and the incredible dissappearing kwame...

4. Vivid

Vivid Member

Kings wouldn't even flirt with the chance of a solid backup point guard whose contract ends one year after Artest's? Head's contract (a whooping 1 mil a year last year) comes off at the same time as Artest. The trade saves them 1.5 mil and they get a young prospect to help the team. That would be like Minn trading James for Howard. Sure we could say James had a crap season...but we know he has played well before and needs to play within his capabilities. Same with Alston going to Sac. Here is another thing. You said Artest might not contribute...Howard would for us...plus they get a young prospect...we would trade for James without a young prospect involved. It is not that far fetched...Head is a solid player, and we can throw in a draft pick.

There is always the tendency to overvalue players when you are a fan but our board does the opposite sometimes. Sure we make crazy fantasy trades up...but we never believe they will happen. We hate our players...we call them soft...NBDL heroes.... we call a bright spot like Head (44% 3pt shooting) trash... Yet you believe a Kenyon Martin...who probably will only play half the games the rest of his career at half the level he used to play....who will make the Kings pay 2.5 million more than Artest...without any young prospect involved...and whose contract ends the same time as Rafer's.....is a better deal??? Does that make sense to you?...because the Kings were said to be very interested in that deal...that's without Artest stating he would like to play for Coach A...The kings want to get rid of him...nobody will offer anything better then us....please give me an example of someone trading "fair" talent for Artest...and no the Kings won't let a Headcase take up roster space and not play if they could get something out of it FOR THE DURATION OF HIS CONTRACT...would you rather the rockets keep Wells if he said he wasn't going to play for us this season??? and that's only 2 million a year...
    -V

5. yaominn

yaominn Member

Hi V,

Miami is interested in artest, here's the list what they can offer:

"Among the Heat's pieces that could be offered in trades: James Posey or Jason Kapono (if either agrees to a sign-and-trade), Antoine Walker (the Heat isn't optimistic about moving his two more guaranteed years, worth $8.5 million and $9.3 million), Udonis Haslem (due $6 million in '07-08), Michael Doleac ($3.1 million), Jason Williams (one year left at $8.9 million), Dorell Wright ($1.7 million) and draft picks."

Here's Kings response:
    "The Kings will consider moving Artest but don't feel compelled. An official in contact with Kings management said Sacramento isn't enamored with Miami's available assets, which could require a third team's inclusion. Artest (18.8 points, 6.5 rebounds last season) is due $7.8 million for next season and has an $8.45 million player option for '08-09."

Link:http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/130098.html

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Houston had the option of either Artest or Rashard, the choice should be Artest.

Both the same age, but Artest is familiar w/Adelman's system - tough versatile defender, can post AND shoot the trey.

Lewis is one dimensional compared to Artest.

AND would be more expensive.

Artest can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to the cost to acquire Lewis (unless he opts to give a hometown discount, VERY unlikely).

Artest also provides what Houston desperately needs - intimidation & fire on the court.

7. Vivid

Vivid Member

No to Walker and Williams...they are getting rid of headcases...Kapono and Posey won't do a sign and trade to a team that has no future.....Why would the get Haslem to add to their glut at PF...Doleac is trash...
    We would off smaller contracts with younger players...Alston gives what Williams does without the headcase...Head gives them a legitimate backup 2 and a scorer off the bench...Kapono would be a less skilled and slower Head... and he will command MLE with the season he had... of course the Kings won't feel compelled if Artest doesn't say anything...your point was IF Artest forced a trade to Houston...to that I say the Kings would rather have what we offer than not...consider-
    Maybe Lewis is a longshot...so instead of packaging Battier and Sura for Lewis...we offer Sura, Head, Snyder- for Artest....They get two young prospects and save 4 million of the books now... IF Artest is really considered to contribute nothing they would have to consider a 4 million salary dump of Artest for a solid young prospect in Head and potential of Snyder...make the Howard for James trade...sign Darko .. we would then have a line up of...

Yao Darko Deke
    Artest Darko Hayes
    Battier Tmac Novak
    Tmac Wells Vspan
    Alston James JL3

8. blender

blender Member

I wonder if the Rockets would be interested in Jason Williams and Antoine Walker, an upgrade at the PG and a shooting PF. A short-term solution for sure, but would they be enough?

Probably not but just throwing it out there.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not likely. The only player out on the list that I like is Dorell Wright. He is young and talented. A good player for the future. The Heat won't give him up easily IMO.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

good post. Artest would be better due to the contract. im happy with Lewis or Artest though

11. Possum

Possum Member

Wow it looks like Orlando is looking at Gundy as a coach. I wonder if this will havae any effect on Lewis wanting to go there? Surely Drexler having his ear will tell him he would be a lot better under Adelmans sytym than Gundys. This could be important guys. Keep youre eyes on this one. ;)

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I guess Yao is the only player left that played with Eddie Griffin right? How much worse could Artest be? I think Eddie is 10x worse headcase than Artest. At least Artest never shot at someone.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

They fascination with offense happened. And posters are short-sighted enough to think that offense = individual scoring.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, we should want players that "fit" like Alston and Hayes. Wanting individual talent is short-sighted. :rolleyes:

16. yaominn

yaominn Member

if Sura, Head, Snyder can get us Artest, I would rather do a 3 team trade, send artest to miami and get Udonis Haslem and miami's pick instead. we will then have two picks, mle, lle to fill the pg position and the bench

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

The problem is Head and Snyder will never get us Artest

Look at both the teams you mentioned. They are stacked at the SG spot. Sacremento has combo guard Douby lying around as well as Started Kevin Martin. There are better trades out there for Artest

18. Vivid

Vivid Member

My point is, I actually want to get Artest to play the 4. He is the guy I want at the position. Haslem gives you a solid 4, but Artest can really give our roster some much needed fire and versatility. His quickness makes up for Yao's slowness. He is big enough to guard the big 4's, and quick enough to guard 3's and 2's. He can play out there than switch to the 2 or 3 to shut down the wings while Hayes covers the 4. Haslem is a solid player, but I can't see him taking it personal and stopping Boozer. I believe Artest can. I also believe Artest creates mismatches against guys like Boozer because he can take them outside. He has a descent 3pt shot and knows Adelman's game. He has a + 19.44 eff rating. Haslems is at + 10. Artest gets 6.5 rebounds a game at 37 min, Haslem get 5 rebounds a game at 28 minutes. I wouldn't say Haslem was a much better rebounder, plus Hayes is still on the bench. Artest is nasty and an extremely gifted player. A Battier Artest forward combo can wreck defensive carnage on the association.
    -V

19. Possum

Possum Member

Never mind its Stan not Jeff. Well I dont know much about Stan. Is his style slow down focus on defense too?

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jvgs style wasnt necesarily slow down, just thought i would mention that.

but i dont think stan is as defensive as jeff