1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier for Lewis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ooliverb1, Jun 2, 2007.

1. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

This has to be a rumor or worse than rumor. But this is the lowest point of the offseason, so what the hell.

Shane was one of the brightst spot last season. He was one of the reason we had the improvement we had. I don't see any reason they want to trade him.

Getting Mike James back and adding another guard? Does this guy ever looked at Rockets roster and see how many guards they had before writing this crap?? :mad:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sonics/story/76773.html

2. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

i love battier as much as the next person

but i really hope we get lewis

no to james and the other guy

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i like most of his ideas. i'm not sure if they're real inside info (doubt it).

the only one i have a problem with is sura for sarunas. we have billy! billy can drive, sarunas isn't a driver or a defender.

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

this guy must have a hell of a source. i'd take lewis for battier. wilcox too. that guy is a monster.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

both trades i'll do, but i doubt rashard would go here for fewer money, and mineesota would accept.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

What do you mean. you wouldnt trade a great role player for a star?. rashard would be the 3rd scorer that we have coveted for so long. it would also allow tracy to play more minutes at he's most natural position at the 2 spot. rashard would run amock in houston just by feeding off the doubles tracy and yao will create. we get lewis and sign francis were a legit championship ball
    club.
    Francis
    McGrady
    Lewis
    Hayes
    Yao. thats a darn good lineup.

7. xomox

if it's not in h00psw0rld, it's not authentic. :p

8. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

the only problem i guess is from the supersonic's persepectivee

why would they want Battier when they are (most likely) getting Kevin durandt??? unless they are going to play Battier at the 4 or something

I would offer anything for Lewis besides our two superstars

9. xomox

10. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I will NOT trade Shane right now. Rockets finally have 3 pieces they can use. It is a myth that Adelman does not like defense type players. Shane is just like what Christie in the old Kings rotation.

When it comes to sign Lewis, there is no reason the "feeling" of Sonics has to be in the picture what so ever -- if Lewis can come to term with Rockets, then I am sure Sonics would be happy to get some expiring contract back (i.e., Juwan + Sura).

How the hell can a guy who is not local in Houston can possibly know so much about Rockets anyway?

I am sorry I even posted this stuff here. No way they will trade Shane, mark my word.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if everything this guy thinks will happen happens, then there is no way we sign steve to a roster which might look like this:

yao - deke - jake
    (lewis or wilcox) - hayes - novak
    tmac - snyder
    bonzi - james - head
    rafer - sarunas - billy - lucas

and if you want to put lewis at the 3 and tmac at the 2 the logjam is even worse.

12. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Who would've thought that Clyde was so influential? First landing a job as a commentator, then pouring honey into Les' ear about Adelman, now he sees Lewis daily? Wow, he may be more useful to the Rockets than anybody thought!

13. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Also are we going to play Lewis at the 4??? or 3???

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Thats Assuming bonzi is re-signed. i dont think he will be.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we should all know that adleman likes defensive players (christie, pollard, funderburk, etc...) and that he wants to bring back deke and hayes.

however, as much as i love shane i would still trade him for lewis if it came down to it. shane is the GREAT role player. lewis is an all-star. i think the rockets love shane as much as the fans...probably more... but if you can bring in a legit 3rd scorer you do it. you can allways find a defensive minded role player to fill that void.

16. yaominn

yaominn Member

why Sonics want expiring contracts? they can just let Lewis walk. they do not want to save money, they want talent.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Clyde is a houston icon. granted most of he's career was spent in portland, but he is still regarded as a houstonian and a great icon of this city.he is very well repected.

18. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Because this will become asset they can use for other moves they may need to do down the road. Letting Lewis go, then they don't get anything. Trading for expiring contracts, they get something at least.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and it's allso assuming that billy stays.

without both of those players we would be ok:

lewis-hayes
    tmac-snyder
    james-head
    rafer-sarunas-lucas

i would hate having really small sg's.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes won't start for Adelman and you can take that to the bank. If the Rockets somehow luck into Rashard, he'll move to the 4 and McGrady back to SF where he belongs.

For those unintiated with CBA mechanics...

If (and it's a BIG if) Rashard forces the Sonics' hand, it will only happen if he will take an MLE OR the Sonics think he will. Otherwise you are pitting...

The possibility of Rashard giving HOU a hometown discount by taking an MLE leaving the Sonics with nothing (and Rashard with 1/2 what he's worth).

vs

What other teams will put in front of SEA to SnT for Rashard. Most can easily top Battier + $5m of fill to match contracts.

Two key points which will likely get lost in all the enthusiasm....

1A) Any SnT for more than $11.2m in year 1 makes Lewis BYC and CHA or ORL must be engaged to make the contracts work.

1B) Only CHA and ORL have cap space to give Lewis more than an MLE.

2) The Sonics don't gain cap space by letting Rashard walk. They have $50m committed for 2007-08 without him.

#20 GATER, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007