1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier can be the Sensei, but Budinger is clearly the starter.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 13, 2010.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Why do you keep bringing up Shane like it has some sort of relevance to our discussion? The only reason I come to Shane's defense is he is scapegoated more than anyone on this board. If people like me don't speak up, then the vocal minority's r****ded opinions become truth among the masses. Once that happens, and misinformation is rampant among the boards, then any good basketball discussion is impossible to find. Truth be told, I stand up for most of the players who people try to scapegoat, such as Brooks and even McGrady.

I like Shane, I think he fits what we are doing here very well. But my views are realistic, there are still 7 or 8 SFs I would take in his place in a 1 for 1 swap. Did you even read what I wrote in response to your ridiculous trade proposal...I said send Shane to Philly, but keep Martin.

I don't know you, but from reading your posts, I envision you sitting on your sofa and cursing everytime the Rockets score because it only "delays the necessary rebuild". Couple my perceptions with the fact that you can't / won't even say some good things about the organization when challenged....well....to me thats not being a fan. So, as I have been battling the bad info being spread of our players, I will also challenge your assertion than you are an actual fan...because it sure doesn't seem like it.

Oh and I didn't gloss over anything. You keep qualifying your expectations. "On the road in the playoffs"?? When has that performance metric been used for anybody? You are grasping for straws to support a bad argument.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

1. People love to mix/judge off-court issues with their basketball value and this is where battier gets most of his fans. Who am I to judge your personal business? If your to get drunk. As long as you can ball Im ok with you.
    2. 95% people have never used Battier as an scapegoat.The past years have been tmac and ariza.
    3.He could be most overrated player in the league.
    4.While he plays all that hard defense on one end, the player gets his energy back while guarding shane.
    5. Its rare that kobe,wade, lebron scores less than 25 points when guarded by shane.
    6. He walks real slow to that 3 point baseline spot :mad:
    thats not good basketball. He barely cuts and can barely post a stamp.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Larsv8, i proposed the trade to so call balance the lineup. As I also stated, philly probably wouldn't do it. Thing is, Battier is such a good guy and such a well spoken guy, it overshadows his production and contribution to the team. You can go and look at older post and I thought shane would be that 3rd piece to complete yao and tracy. I watched the guy in college and on dtv when he was in memphis. I thought he could get the easy 15 ppg that was there for the taking and defend. After the 1st loss to the jazz,my tune changed. In that series, i saw a player scared to step up and perform in the crucial situations. In the postseason, road playoff games are huge for role players. If you cant step up and perform in 1 road playoff game, then your not even a good role player.I have seen enough and he is what he is. I would like to see how good chase can become because we've seen what shane can become.

You brought up what i do during games. I have a pen and pad and chart things while I'm watching. When say things like shane is one cutters on the team. Well, i dont know what you're doing when you're watching,but you're not watching the rockets play.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

This is the Battier perspective. He is the Chuck Hayes version at SF. Thats how good in reality he really is. Wouldnt be starting on most teams without a great attitude and work ethic. Great work guy and appeals to the working class masses. In actuality? Not a great basketball player. Extremely average and probably slows down the offense or hurts it at times. About as much as he helps the defense. Conclusion? His effect on the teams wins are negligible at best. The only thing holding his position is an adequate replacement. We are debating whether a 2nd round SF who doesnt play that good a defense is his replacement after all. Not to mention a guy off the Lakers bench who already did so last season. Thats the perspective of how good Battier is. The position is a weakness that could be upgraded is all people are saying. Budinger could be that guy because despite the fact he was drafted in the second round? He is turning out to be pretty good.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Show some respect to Hayes. Dude is 6'6 playing center. He really does the dirty work by giving picks and slashing and Hayes shows up in the scoreboard either by points,rebounds or assists.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He also shows up on the other teams scoreboards when the taller players rebound over him or have a career day scoring.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post. At this point, he is the "Chuck Hayes version at SF"...

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

On a side note. I do like the new slimmer Chuck Hayes who looks like he can score more now. That part of Chuck is getting better. I wouldnt mind Chuck as a backup powerforward not at center anymore.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He will be playing more at PF. Hill will be playing more center.

10. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

To be honest, I trust Battier to get the ball into Yao the most on the team. If he's gonna split minutes with Chase, at least play Battier whenever Yao is on the floor.