1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier can be the Sensei, but Budinger is clearly the starter.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 13, 2010.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

What I don't understand, is when chase has such strong athleticism from his volleyball background, why is his lateral movement and one on one defense so bad?

I read this draft express profile about him, and wanted to see if the analysis was right or wrong about him by watching his preseason play. Wow, this guy is almost potentially (and sometimes actually) getting blown past his man almost all the plays I focused only on him during the games. The guy does not look intense or confident he can shut down his man or stay in front of him (from what I have seen these past preseason games).

Here is the profile, read the comments on the leftmost columns about him, then watch his preseason game defense:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chase-Budinger-502/

If this guy could just have good (not decent, but good) defense, the debate would probably end. Realistically with all the offensive firepower the starters already have, I think chase dosen't start until next year if shane stays healthy.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The easy solution to me would be trade shane,martin, and a pick for iggy and filler. Now chase can start along with iggy who is a top shelf defender and good playmaker. that killing two birds with 1 stone and the team is balanced. Pay me on the way out.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Iggy for Martin is a wash, adding a pick and Battier doesnt make sense. All you are doing with that trade is giving away assets.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do you want to put three gunners (Brooks, Martin, Budinger) on the perimeter when you already have two capable scorers (Yao, Scola) on the front line?

Battier is the perfect 5th option for the starting unit. He is perfectly happy -- and effective -- not taking a lot of shots, just spotting up to hit an open shot when the defense ignores him.

Budinger, on the other hand, should be the 2nd of 3rd option on an offense or you are wasting his talent.

Not to mention they need at least one good perimeter defender on the floor.

5. srrono

srrono Member

id like to see bud have a shot too

6. thekad

thekad Member

Pretty standard trade scenario from leebigez.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A few things come to mind.....

Bud is getting better, Battier is slowly declining. Their will come a point when Bud is clearly the better player (overall). The question is whether that is now or not. Personally, I wouldnt change anything right now. The units need to develop more cohesion. Work out their looks, and so on. It would make it very difficult for them to be on the same page by the regular season if you threw in a Bud for Battier swap right now. If through some personnel change (trade?), we find ourselves defensively better at the 1 or 2, then Bud Time could come sooner.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He would like to throw in Battier in ANY trade... ;).

9. albuster

albuster Member

Not so fast folks. How about we agree to look, just for one game, at least, what Battier does on defense. If I may, please look at how he organizes his team mates in the course of their defensive series, and kindly look at how he orchestrates help defense that made them one of the top teams in the recent past.

On offense, please see who passes the best to the post and who opens spaces by camping in the three point area often taking with him his defender. I guess the coaches see something else about Battier's game that we don't really pay attention to much during the course of the games that he plays in. Just pay attention to how he plays for just one game, and maybe, just maybe, we can have a better appreciation of him that the coaches have.

I have always been a Budinger superfan from game one in his NBA career. However, there are still a few rough edges in his game, especially on defense, that another year of being Battier's understudy would do him and the team a world of good. He is already one heck of a player.

1 person likes this.
  10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Battier is ideal for this starting lineup. With all of the offensive firepower his glue guy role is perfect. He can pour all of his energy into guarding the other team's top wing and then just play smart but not aggressive on offense and do what he does best, the little things. Taking charges, hitting the occasional three, making an entry pass, etc.

Run and gun with Lowry, Bud, Hill/Patterson, and Lee is another great combo that Battier would just slow down.

Bud will get his minutes and these lineups will be mixed around throughout the game.

This is going to be a fun season :cool:

11. dexkk

dexkk Member

Keep Battier in the starting lineup. We have 4 capable scorers on the starting lineup already (brooks,martin,scola,yao). Besides, he's been making good entry passes to Yao down low (in the preseason at least).

Also, I really want to see more of Lee-Budinger combination with the 2nd unit. I think those two will be our future wing combo.

12. leebigez

I knew you were coming :grin:. I was just responding to what the op said about chase needs to start,but the defense would suffer. I presented an idea to kill multiple birds with 1 stone. Now, i doubt philly would do it, but take the glasses off and look at it.

Iggy and fillers, for shane,martin, and a pick of some kind or a player.To me,Iggy is a better player than martin. He's not the scorer martin is, but he's a good enough scorer plus he's durable and do everything else alot better. He's a much better defender,passer,rebounder,clutch player, and all around. Not only that,iggy gives the rockets another guy who can make a play at the end of the game.

Battier is a better defender than chase and thats it. Chase is better in every category right now. Scoring,shooting,passing,transition and he"s cheap and 10yrs younger. A trade like this also opens minutes up for lee. Lee at this point is bvetter than shane also. Another componet of this trade would be shaving about 3m off the rockets payroll.
    I already know i wont get a honest answer,but which is the better,more balanced lineup?

Brooks,martin,battier,scola,yao

or

Brooks,iggy,chase,scola,yao.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Balance wise its roughly the same. Good mix of O and D.

Fit wise, it is worse. Iggy/Bud dont compliment Yao as well as Martin/Battier

Depth wise it is worse. You have no backup 3 now and also down a pick.

And as far as, you knew I was coming...you should know I would bash a dumb trade. Now if it were Battier and a pick + Hill for Iggy, I would do it. As I said earlier, Martin for Iggy is a wash.

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think having him off the bench and with the second unit is better, we need defense on this team and the one guy who plays it is Battier.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I agree- CBud should start. The guy has crazy skills.

16. leebigez

On a scale from 1-10, where would you rate iggy,chase,shane,and martin offensively and defensively? Personally, i think iggy and chase would score higher than shane and martin. Why would i say that? Martin is a 8 on offense and a 4 on def. Iggy is a 7 on off and a 7 on defense. Shane is a 6 on def and a 4 on off.Chase is a 6 on off and a 4 on defense. Take into account iggy never misses a game and the versitility with lee off the bench, it would make the team better to me. Iggy,chase,lee, and if need be jeffries can handle the 2/3 mins.

17. ironariza

ironariza Member

why not make a deal

jeffris for ariza?

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Battier can start because he plays with Yao better. What's more important is for Budinger to close out games because his shot is becoming more and more reliable.

19. bloop

bloop Member

Chase was on OH. That explains that.

Battier has better synergy with Yao and the starting unit. Chase provides more punch for the 2nd unit. Keep as is.

20. HOU

HOU Member

WOW... I can`t believe you guys are not getting tired of discussing that person xy should start over Bat (CBud is already one of the best) just because they score some points in summer league or pre-season. I really like CBud but as long as coach knows anything about bball Bat will start the upcoming season and also finish most of the games depending on the situation (forget about some useless pre-season numbers).