1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier can be the Sensei, but Budinger is clearly the starter.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 13, 2010.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I value defense from the forward as much as anyone, specifically on a team that has so many snipers in the starting lineup. The problem here is that the difference between Battier and Budinger on the defensive end is just not great enough to justify what we have been seeing from Shane & Budinger offensively as of late. It is night and day...

We essentially swapped Mutombo, Carl Landry and Ron Artest for Brad Miller, Kevin Martin and Courtney Lee from the best Rockets team we have seen in years. That is a hell of a lot of toughness and physicality to lose. I would be tempted to grab the extra transition buckets that Budinger can get us, compared to Battier. Not to mention having an extra ball handler and elite shooter on the floor. Shane can fall into a Chuck-esque situational "Kobe-Stopper".

I don't know, I just think it would be a crime to see Budinger get anything less than 30+ minutes a night alongside Brooks, Martin and Scola...

#1 RudyTBag, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Couldn't they just share the load at SF, somewhere around 24-27 minutes for Chase and the rest to Shane.

It's not really who starts the game, it's who finishes...

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Using the argument that "well, this new starting unit mostly sucks on D, so why not let is COMPLETELY suck on D" is not quite the best way to make your point.

Several "better" players have come and gone through the Spurs' organization during their reign as consistent title contenders/winners. Throughout (the better part of) that reign, they still started Bruce Bowen at SF, even when Bowen was only getting around 5 ppg.

Defense matters.

Especially when you're talking about an elite TEAM defender like Shane Battier who can at least partially make up for the inevitable and numerous defensive shortcomings of pretty much every other starter.

Agreed that Chase Budinger is quickly proving himself deserving of a great deal of playing time and is already clearly the better offensive option. But Shane's defense (which largely doesn't show up in the box score) is much more important to the starting unit right now than Chase's offense.

1 person likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Shane's offense is so unbelievably awful, that I believe the difference between the two on the defensive end is negligible.

There is no doubt in my mind that we need an upgrade at SF, but as of right now, I feel like Chase is the far better two-way player, and his fit in a Princeton is leaps and bounds more efficient than Battier...

Budinger is to Battier

What Kevin Martin is to Courtney Lee...

5. AKO511

AKO511 Member

yea and why don't we put bud against kobe or lebron or wade or melo or dirk... i'm sure he will slow them down :rolleyes:

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I would give a nut to have a prime Bruce Bowen on this team.

Or a Gerald Wallace, or an Andre Iguodala. Hell, Trevor Ariza would be damn nice to have right now...{Flamesuit}

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Budinger will be better than Shane and already is on offense today.

There is no hurry to get him into the starting lineup....and Lowry needs finishers like Budinger in the 2nd unit.

We have enough offensively oriented players in the starting lineup that we can afford one defensive guy in Shane.

DD

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Budinger is clearly a far superior offensive player.

Battier is clearly a more experienced and better defensive player, even in decline.

What suits which unit best and how to distribute minutes is up to coach.

This much is likely certain: every step forward that Budinger makes defensively will mean less minutes for Battier.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

That is very likely.

I think Shane should finish on the elite players, but I believe Budinger would really put us in the right direction to start games...

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

How long was Chuck Hayes the starter over Luis Scola? 40 games?

Make the switch now! ;)

11. opticon

opticon Member

Lee is not as good as a offensive player as I thought he would be. He is not bad he is just not as good as chase is on that end of the floor.

That means we need a lights out perimeter scorer playing with the second unit.

Chase can fill those shoes off the bench.

Brooks , Martin , Yao, Scola all have one thing in common, they can all drop 20+ points any given night. The only way to capitalize on that ability is to have 10+ shot attempts a night.

Shane can get by on 4 or less shot attempts a game and still be able to help the team in many other ways.

As long as our starting lineup is made up of martin brooks scola and yao shane will have a place there.

If chase was in our normal starting lineup there would not be enough shots for him to be effective at what he is best at. Scoring.

BUT! If Chuck has to start at center or power forward Chase MUST start at the three.

We cant afford to have 2 players on the floor that cant punish there defender on a consistent enough bases to not make them think twice about leaving them open on double teams.

2 people like this.
  12. AKO511

AKO511 Member

I agree with DD, i like the way we have our lineups already, its all balanced out defensively and offensively. I think lowry can use c-bud way better than AB could. Btw, Ish Smith is looking very solid this preseason, his ballhandling is nasty. Now we still need another 7 footer with some meat and then i say we could be contenders.

13. amaru

amaru Member

No....it isn't

14. BrooksBall

The more I think about it, Brooks, Martin, Budinger, Scola plus a still-recovering Yao would be nightmarishly bad defensively.

Even in decline, Battier puts most of his energy and focus into defense and if nothing else, can direct the guys that tend to go through lapses (Brooks, Martin, Scola).

I think the best thing would be to continue starting Battier and bring Budinger in with at least one other defensive-minded player (Lowry, Hayes, etc...).

15. srrono

srrono Member

I would support bat to bench

16. ezzie

ezzie Member

knee-jerk thread anyone?
    this is the PRESEASON- i'd bet Battier is just takin it easy on these games. he's a vet, not gettin any younger, and is NOT gonna kill himself to perform during games that dont even matter.
    i love Bud as much as the next fan, but doubt Battier is gonna be god-awful during the regular season. if he DOES show serious decline, then maybe we'll revisit this.

17. BrooksBall

If you wanna start Bud, you need to start Lowry.

If Brooks is starting, Battier makes more sense.

Martin is a no-brain starter as are Scola and Yao as long as Yao is healthy and improving.

So it's Brooks + Battier or Lowry + Bud. Personally, I'd be cool with either one but I don't see Adelman taking Brooks out of the staring lineup so...

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's what I'm thinking. Amazing offensively, but porous on defense. Battier is also a better passer.

It's just hard to pair Martin and Budinger. Martin is so weak defensively that I think they'll almost always need Battier or Lee to play alongside him.

The second unit of Lee-Budinger-Lowry will be one to watch though.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This.

It's about units, not individual ability. Part of the magic in basketball that makes it so different than baseball.

You've got to have balance, and starting Brooks, Martin, and Bud together gives you a very dubious parameter defense. Also, Chase adds a nice offensive spark to the second unit, one you need when surrounded by Lowry, Lee, etc.

20. BrooksBall

Agree with everything else but not sure about the part in bold.

I think Bud has far better court vision. Battier is largely just "safe" in his passing game. Budinger makes plus, PG-like passes all the time. It's rare for Battier to make those kinds of plays but you see it from time to time.

The more I think about it, I'd have to say that Bud is the better passer by a pretty wide margin actually. He may actually be the 2nd best passer on the team after Ish and tied with Lowry. Miller may be right there, too.