1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Batman: The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Jul 18, 2008.

1. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

There's really nothing that I can add to this thread.

But I'll still say that this film is almost literally flawless; it's been a long time since I've walked out of a theater just stunned by the perfection I had just seen.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

and the pencil disappearing trick really was great. completely unexpected and had the theater buzzing for about 15 seconds afterwards.

4. LeoneWestern

LeoneWestern Rookie

There is something about that Nurse uniform that scared the bijesus out of me...

5. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

What an amazing movie, Heath Ledger put on a performance that will forever be talked about when comparing villains on the big screen. Every time he was on the screen you just couldn't turn your head.

The nurses outfit would have to be one of the best scenes I have seen in a movie in the last decade.

Batman is back, bigger and better than ever.

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Hmm....maybe I screwed that up. I guess I didn't see it and I was so stoked and tired when I got home that all I could think of was starting a new thread in honor of this more-or-less perfectly awesome movie.

Me too.

7. MystikArkitect

Watched it last night at Memorial City and my thoughts...

****Spoilers Below****

I was expecting Ledger to be good. Real good. He surpassed any expectation I could have ever though of in terms of being a convincingly sick, sadistic, twisted maniac. Everything he did, every word he muttered, ever time he licked his lips, it was like it was really the Joker, not someone portraying him. Favorite Joker scenes:

1) The Disappearing Pencil. Wow.

2) I want my phone call.

3) Street face-off

4) Well hello beautiful.

Now the movie was not a superhero movie. Not even close. This was way beyond a simple Batman vs Joker flick. It was way more than that. It was social commentary. There were times during the movie where I felt deflated. I felt beaten. When things couldn't seem to get worse...they did. The movie kind of breaks you down mentally. The movie had a lot of "choice" in it. I expect the next one to be about "Chance". As Harvey began to spiral out of control, he began speaking about chance a lot.

All in all, the movie was amazing. An epic, and I'm gonna go see it again.

8. Lynus302

That's about the best description I've seen/heard/read.

I can't wait to see it again.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Uh, anyone who says it's social commentary actually care to explain about what they were commenting?

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Not too much to add here, just that it was a DAMN good, nearly flawless movie. In my theater, everyone stood and clapped when it was over. I haven't seen that in a long, LONG, time (like, since the 80s). This is a very special flick.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

had to add another great Joker scene

when he was in the nurse uniform and went to the hand sanitizer dispenser, that was classic stuff

12. bloop

bloop Member

The voice isn't to sound "cool" it's to disguise his voice like the cowl disguises his appearance. It's like if you watch the 60s show, Batman's voice is exactly the same as Bruce Wayne's down to the inflections, yet NO ONE can deduce it's him? It's a major flaw in comic book logic up there with Superman putting on glasses and everyone's like "whoa, Clark Kent."

I agree the voice sounds forced like he's trying too hard but a method actor like Bale probably worked with a voice coach to get that lower register with a lot of distortion and also sound generic like that. The fact that he didn't change it after the first movie probably indicates he was pretty happy with how it came off

Well, there are a number of things but one in particular was one reviewer who thought that TDK was the first true post-911 commentary. The idea being the Joker is a terrorist, someone who cant be bargained or reasoned with, who just wants to see the world burn. How do you combat someone like that? What are the costs and sacrifices you're willing to make and how does that affect the fabric of society at large? Not that I agree with that setup premise at all... terrorism is a political tactic not a philosophy and one that many nations (including our own and our allies) have exploited or denounced according to our needs. But in any case there is a lot of social commentary in TDK for sure on many levels... whether you agree or not of course. For example, the movie ends very down, and during parts of it you feel depressed like it's not ever going to be right. Watching the movie I had a funny thought that George Bush would see this movie and delude himself that he's Batman... he's done things outside the law to "help" us and things look dark but he's taking it on the chin for the rest of us and he'll be redeemed in the 3rd movie (no 3rd term for you tho, sorry dude)."

Saw this last night and I would recommend FOR SURE seeing this movie soon in a packed house. It got a ton of audience ahhhhhs and applause (truck flip, joker's trick, gordon's appearance etc). I know ppl who've seen this twice already it's just like when ESB came out.

13. Lynus302

Nobody better tell Dubya about that cell phone sonar listening thing....

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Saw it tonight on IMAX. Me and my girl were both blown away. Without a doubt the best superhero movie ever made. I thought the 1st Spiderman and Iron Man were great. The Dark Knight made those look like childs play.

Ledger was better than the hype. He WAS the Joker.

15. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Some parts gave me goose pimples:

1. When Joker is in the street, and Batman is charging at him with the motorcycle. He starts skipping, then just stands there. It got intense right there.

2. Another, when Batman and Joker are in the interrogation room. Joker just laughs and laughs every time Batman throws a punch at him.

3. And the part at the end when Joker is wacking Batman with that baseball bat (it was something).

Some good scenes that I remember.

"I just want my phone call"
    "Hiii"

Amazing.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I wanna go watch just for the damn pencil trick now.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

to no surprise, its on youtube :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/szjKxptMLfA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/szjKxptMLfA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

mneh... it was alright I guess......

jk I haven't seen it yet, but will very soon

19. rz04

rz04 Member

After watching this movie I am utterly speechless.

I know this won't happen but, this movie deserves a F@!#ing Oscar!!!!

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Wow. This movie is just epic.