1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Batman: The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Jul 18, 2008.

1. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I guess just you (no offense) because you are the only person I have seen complain about it. By the way, Two-Face doesn't die. The coin's head is facing up, he is still breathing when he hits the ground, and Aaron Eckhart signed on for two movies. And I fail to see how it was one long action scene. I mean, you have the interrogation scene and so many other things. It was great. I know a writer (who actually has a book available to buy on Amazon.com), who wrote a long synopsis of the film on another forum. He disagrees with basically everything you are saying.

2. Saado

Saado Member

I saw it a little differently. The whole time, he is using a coin with 2 heads to "make his luck." He uses supposed chance against others as an excuse for the decisions he makes. After the Maggie incident, he comes to what he believes as an epiphany that he can't make his own luck and that everything really is left to chance, which is obviously symbolized in the movie by one side of the coin becoming charred. Yes, he is somewhat on the edge all movie, but it is this realization that really changes him.

3. Saado

Saado Member

!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry forgot spoiler tags and can't edit. I apologize for the mistake.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Heath ledger's performance left me speechless. RIP

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Harvey Dent/Two Face are one in the same; if you think that character's story arc started after Rachel Dawes died, then you must not have been paying attention. His story arc began the moment Aaron Eckhart appeared on screen. His transformation to the two face character was a progression that spanned 2/3 of the film.

If you end the film where you're saying, there is essentially no "Dark Knight" since that label was punctuated by Batman taking the murders of Harvey Dent upon his shoulders. Nolan seemed to really craft a though provoking story here...same with the first one...somehow I don't think he slapped an action scene onto the end just to have one. Like I've said before, there is a reason for everything in this movie. There'd be so many loose ends if it finished after Rachel's death.

#245 JunkyardDwg, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just got back from the movie and its definately worth the praise it is getting. Some great shots and a great story.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't even waste your time with Mr. What. The guy went in with a negative bias and even said as much when he made that post about how he would probably hate this movie because "the fanboys were out in droves" (if fanboys were the reason for this thing setting records, why aren't comic books selling more?).

Then he claims to be a writer (writer of what? Has he been published? Every other writer on this board has shown us what they do; Will, the Cat, KellyDwyer, etc). His "professional" opinion is that this movie should end during the 2nd act, no climax, no resolution. Says the last 30 minutes is just "mindless action for the fanboys" even though Nolan clearly doesn't pander and there is a lot of important stuff here, especially the scene with the Joker and Dent in the hospital.

To top it off, he acts like a total dick with his "you need to be more sophisticated" jab.

BTW, I'm too lazy to search for this post again, but somebody complained about how was it possible for the Joker to plant the bombs, well, it's quite simple really, he has his own army of escaped Arkham patients for henchmen, clearly they do a lot of the heavy lifting.

8. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

He probably lives in Dallas.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Just got back from seeing it.

Great movie. Great performances by all.

With that said, there is no way Ledger doesn't win an Oscar. This movie would be next to nothing without his character. He should win the best actor nod, as I think he stole this movie.

Christian Bale deserves a best supporting actor nomination, too.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A TON of film reviewers that are far more sophisticated than you have been giving this ENTIRE movie all sorts of praise and high (nearly perfect) reviews.

Maybe you just have bad taste?

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Just got back. Great f'n movie. Heath Ledger was a very gifted actor. He absolutely nailed the Joker part.

Wasn't expecting to see Deebo in there. That was a freaking treat.

And what the hell was Nicky Katt doing in there as the police van driver? He went from having a staring role in Boiler Room and playing Clint in Dazed and Confused to spitting out some stupid lines in this one. Wonder how he goes about picking his roles.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

bale would be considered lead and ledger would be considered supporting

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It seemed like the joker had more lines.

14. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

It just seemed like it because Ledger's performance was so great as The Joker.

15. rz04

rz04 Member

Could it be considered like Denzel Washington in "Training Day"?

16. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

It was good, not great, and definitely not Oscar worthy.

How come whenever Batman talks it is all distorted and deep?

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Saw it Saturday. Absolutely brilliant. Probaly my favorite Cominc Book movie ever (Even though the guys I went with still said they liked Iron Man better). Only gripe I had with it at all was that I thought Two Face deserved his own movie as the only villain. I mean it seemed like he was only Two Face for about a day (After his face is burned).

Didnt come close to ruining the movie for me though. Hate to beat a dead horse, but Ledger was brilliant. This coming from someone who loved Jack Nicholson as The Joker.

Christian Bale was good too.

Who do you think will be the villain for the next one? My guess is Catwoman. With these versions of the movies, I just have a hard time picturing Riddler or The Penguin.

18. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Saw it yesterday. Awesome comic book flick. Not sure if it's the best ever, but it's close. One thing it's got going for it that I've never seen in a comic movie: It's epic. I don't mean 'epic' like Jim Rome does, I mean it in it's truest sense. It's a long, gripping tale that never gets boring. Nolan's star is rising, IMO.

And yes, Ledger steals the show. Best Joker ever.

19. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

You've got to be kidding me. How was Ledger's performance not great?

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of that is to disguise his voice so its not obvious he's Bruce Wayne and the other part is for intimidation.