1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Basketball Summer League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PiPdAdY33, Apr 17, 2006.

1. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Just wonder if anyone here had a lead on any summer leagues this summer and by summer I mean around mid may because thats when I get out of classes. I have my team ready, I've already checked with sportsmonkey but they're barely about to start a league and after that they won't play again till early July and the Ymca closest to my house (the one on stella link) is playing right now and won't start again till like mid June.
    It'll be fun to get a little friendly rivalry started, I remember we almost played in the same league last year but yall were smart enuff to pull out early because the league took forever to start.
    Input would be appreciated...

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

You're not referring to the Weekley Family YMCA are you? Cause that happens to be the one I work at :) And yeah they just started a 5 on 5 league at the start of April. You might want to check out the Post Oak Y too, but I'm betting they're league has already started or is close to starting.

3. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Yeah thats precisely the Ymca I'm referring to, well I'm thinking that if it's starting right now then shouldn't the next league be starting around early June? Thats why I was surprised when I heard the lady tell me they weren't going to start the following one till early July, is that the time it takes to put together the league?
    I think I will end up calling the Ymca on Post Oak, I'm aiming for mid May but early June would work just the same.
    Thx for the response

4. JunkyardDwg

Yeah no problem. I can tell you that last year I believe the summer league started two weeks after the spring league ended...so it was probably early June. This season the final week of games looks to be the 23rd of May. I don't have a summer sports schedule in front of me so I can't tell you when the new league starts, but it very well could be the beginning of July. I think they've been reorganizing the league this past year cause we didn't even have a fall or winter league I believe.

5. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Awesome...thx for the input
    I"ll post what I hear from the Post Oak Ymca in case anyone is interested...

6. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Just an update, the Ymca at Post Oak came through, The GameCocks will be playing Monday night's starting May 15.
    If anyone else is going to participate in it or knows anyone who is then feel free to post.
    Thx for the Post Oak tip, they have so many more leagues than the Weekly Ymca, its ridiculous :eek:

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Monday nights huh? What league is that? C League? If so, you better have a team of people that have a minimum of high school basketball on their resume. Myself and some other BBS'ers competed at the same YMCA in the "D League" and went 9-0. In the "C League", which we played in the season before, we went 0-9. Huge difference. Just a heads up.

8. JunkyardDwg

Yeah no problem. I'm actually in a softball league over there that's near finishing. But Weekely is steadily growing...we're pretty much maxed out in terms of space.

9. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Thanks for the heads up, well it's a B/C league, whatever that means.
    Well we have a college level talent guy, 3 guys who played hs ball and 3 of us that play recreationally but take it very seriously. We have a 6'4" guy as our center and our pf should be 6'3", lets hope thats enough.
    My team actually won the Intermediate league for sportsmonkey but that was a sham because I had picked up 2 ringers, a guy who used to play for UH, he was like our tmac and a pg guy who played college ball.

10. ClutchCityReturns

I actually cringed when I read this. B/C League is going to be rough for sure. I'm not trying to be overly negative or anything, or say that you guys suck. I'm just saying, the competition is THAT good. I'm not exactly sure of the experience of the guys I played with in those leagues, but I myself played high school ball and was offered scholarships from two universities. That said, I would consider myself a very average player in the C League.

The rosters in that league usually consisted of a couple of guys 6'7" or so, then a few more guys 6'4"-ish, and the rest of the team roughly 6'0"+. They back up their size with talent too. We had several instances of people getting dunked on viciously, as well as the other team shooting half court 3's (and making them...with their OFF hand) because they had nothing better to do with their 40 point lead. Like I said, we went 0-9 in that league.

In D League, however, we went 9-0 and usually beat other teams by a good margin, although we still didn't win the whole thing. Again, I'm not saying you guys aren't good or even considerably better than we are/were, but if you're not sporting guys around 6'4" at shooting guard and about 6'7" down low, you might be in a for a season of getting raped, just like us. C League is serious. Basically EVERYONE in C League looks like they should be playing college somewhere.

I wish you all luck though, and if you are looking to add another player at any time, I'm available until further notice. :p

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

All I gotta say is Shawn Marion plays C league.

Poor Mike. I don't think I've seen him post again on the forum since that day.

:eek: :p

12. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

We fairly locked up aside from side, you know you can always use another legit inside player (under 32...not to be rude...) Our oldest player would be like 22
    We have a 6'4 guy, three 6'0 guys, a 5'10" (me) and a 5'9" guy....looking for one more big to sure it up.
    Heh looks like my comeback won't be all that groovy...owell We've been stomped b4, we have a guy that when on is damn near unguardable but we'll see. Even when losing I still play for fun, if only to improve myself.
    I think this may just be a precursor of things to come because we'll probably play 2 leagues this summer at that ymca then I"m planning to play at Fonde in the fall...haha...owell for the love of the game....

13. ClutchCityReturns

Yep. It was a sad day in Stalkers history.

So, you think I'm describing C League pretty fairly?

14. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I"ve actually met Biggie....Yeah I got alotta weight to gain to not get thrown around but heres to learning by being thrown in the fire...
    U're not putting anything together Biggie?

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'd agree with you completely. Even the small guys were big AND damn fast.

Most times I felt like those teams were only going half speed at us too. I wasn't there for our highest point total game which also happened to be our highest point differential loss from what I was told but that team is damn solid for sure.

D league and C league are like night and day.

16. ClutchCityReturns

Yeah, I understand the size argument. You'd be wise to track some down. Although to really compete you'd probably need a couple of 6'6" type guys that have played on a high level before (like Ju-Co at least).

I don't know though...you only have 6 guys at this point? I hope you were all on cross country teams in high school or you're going to get run into the ground with the pace of that league. If you can't find size, I'd advise you to pick up one other person just to spread the minutes a little more. Plus you never know when a guy or two may not be able to make it on a given night.

I'm 5'9" by the way, so I'm not a candidate for helping in the height department. If you decide later on that you need an extra player, regardless of height, the offer is still on the table. I did score close to 20ppg in that league, despite my stature (and skin color :eek: ). Oh I'm 23 years old by the way. Nine years to go until i'm ineligible! :D

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Oy. the nightmares and bad dreams.

18. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Heh don't mean to come off as rude but another one of the guys were thinking bout is 5'10"...I'm sure u've been through it...when ur short like us u always have trouble with height
    i've had some of the worse experiences, a 6'6" guy who was 250 but was way outta shape...hadn't played since hs and he was in fact 32...a 6'3 280lbs who wouldn't run up court. a 6'3 220lb guy played hs football but was as soft as a marshmallow. a 6'5 guy who played varsity ball but only weigh bout 199lbs and all he would do is whine so it really is something not appealing.
    Well at this point we could very easily have 8 people on the team the only problem would be that 4 of us would be under 6'0". And the reason we'll only have 7 is because all my guys like to play around 30 minutes and 8 is probably the max we would do. We previously had teams of around 10 people and pt was a huge issue. our 6'4 guy did actually play varsity ball and 2 of our 6'0 guys are fairly athletic...it's just difficult to try and get random guys from uh who our big to play on our team...pretty sure most of them wouldn't be thrilled about paying 55 bucks to hoop and the big guys are far and few between.
    I'm always optimistic up until the day I check out league play and realize I'm in over my head. at least now I can give my guys a heads up.
    Wow 20ppg is pretty impressive....I'm shooting for 8ppg, 4rpg, 2.5spg and 2apg...we'll see.....haha
    i was envious of how yall had people take stats for yall and wat not...by any chance did yall manage to have teh games recorded?

19. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

hahaha o man, can't believe its almost been a year since the C league games.

biggie, i'd post on here more often...but the way this season has gone, it just hurts to think about whats happened to my beloved rox. too bad i couldn't have been with you guys for the D league, my back's been good ever since november....it would've also been nice to win a game hahah.

if anyone in austin knows about summer leagues or whatnot, please let me know. i'm graduating this may and won't have access to greg after that, so i'll need a new home for my summer bball needs.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

go to youtube.com, and search for bus stop stalkers.