1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Basketball shoe advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MattM, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MattM

MattM Member

I'm starting to run more full court games and I am in need of a good shoe. I'm looking for reccomendations.

Price range, preferably under $100.

I'm looking for a shoe that is durable, will last a while, provides great comfort and support. I don't really care how pretty they are, as they will be used solely for basketball.

I've shopped online at Academy and seen some that seem ok, but I would really like some quality feedback from you guys so I make the best decision.

2. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

are the kobe hyperdunks out yet?

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

converse has decent baketball shoes and for cheap.

I've been interested in New Balance basketball shoes but i never see any when i look around.

nikes do make good shoes, but in the past they just wear out too quickly. Particularly, for outdoor games

4. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Are the Kenny Smiths out yet?

In seriousness, I think the TS lightspeed from Adidas are pretty good (the shoes T-mac, Duncan, Garnett, etc., wore this year).

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

6. randomdude

randomdude Member

I like Jordans. You can get some really cheap classy/old school/stylish Jordans from the outlet Nike store on 290 and Mason. In general, they have some outstanding deals on shoes. I would definitely go check it out.

7. MattM

MattM Member

Thanks for the tip. Looks like they go for $90. Not bad for a quality shoe.

8. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Can't go wrong with 9 dollar starburys.

9. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

39.99 for the t-mac version on finishline.com, but only one style and a couple of sizes left.

link

10. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Depending on what size shoe you wear you can find some good deals on eastbay, footlocker, finishline, etc. online. If you google i'm sure you can find some additional promo codes to save even more. I would definately go with Nike as far as comfort and durability go.

11. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Pick up some and1's from academy. Great grip right outta the box and last a good while. 40-50 bucks max.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am also looking
    I need one that will serve as a decent Running shoe as well.

Rocket River

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

last years kobe's were the most comfortable shoes ive ever played ball in. if you can get your hands on those, go for it

14. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Agreed. I got the 1st ones and they were the best basketball shoes i have ever worn.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i don't like shoes that are tight and constricting on my ankles.

i have a pair of shoes that i bought, that i barely wear because just walking in them is a pain in the ass.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well maybe I should give them a shot. So far, nothing has ever been more comfortable than the T-Mac II's for me.

http://www.kicksguide.com/articles/comparisons/2003_soty.asp
    2003 Shoe of the year for kicksguide.

[​IMG]

17. flipmode

flipmode Member

most serious enthusiasts in both camps (bball and running) will tell you never to mix the two.

basketball shoes are designed for heavy pushing/pivoting and will withstand pressure (harder soles, less flexible body, more deep bed cushion).

running shoes are designed to be lightweight, breathable, and available in different platforms for different strides.

basically, if you run with basketball shoes, it'll be much more difficult and hard on your knees. if you play ball with running shoes, you're much more prone to rolling your ankle or wearing out your shoes and soles quickly.

that said, i got my brooks addiction running shoes fitted at a running shop, and in a pinch, i play basketball with those because they're sturdy enough. :p

18. kikimama

kikimama Member

These are what I wear right now. I play almost everyday for 3-5 hours. They are comfy.
    [​IMG]
    $80 + shipping on eastbay.com. I'm sure you can find a coupon somewhere and they come in different colors.

19. kikimama

kikimama Member

20. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

never been satisfied with anything but nike.