1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

basketball leagues

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, May 12, 2005.

1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

well while the initial team is set, it'd definitely be cool to get some more replies for a second team.

omega, mj, red chocolate if ya guys know any fellow clutchfans that'd be interested in a second team, then we can have two teams.

or ya guys can be alternates to a first team if someone drops out before july 18.

#41 TMac640, May 15, 2005
    Last edited: May 15, 2005
  2. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

Anyone know when the league ends? Just curious since I have school again in the fall.

I know Clutchfans used to have random pickup games with a bunch of members, so there's gotta be more than 12 guys that wanna get some run in this summer...I'd love to see Clutch come out and hoop it up with us:)

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

that's right,

im waiting for somebody to organize one.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Since I believe only 3 of us have 24 hour fitness memberships then that meet up locale is out of the question. They allow guests but the cost is outrageous. It's 15 bucks and I'm sure no one wants to spend that. Unless any of you guys have those leftover free passes.

Anyway, Seems most people are available or can be available Saturday morning. I'm still trying to find a centralized location. Probably somewhere around the same location where the league play is going to be. Let's go ahead and set it up for 9:30am Saturday on the 21st. In my head I'm thinking the outdoor rice court would probably be free to use for us but I'm still looking for a closer locale for everyone. If anyone has ideas on where to meet that would be great. I'll keep everyone posted. Any of ya'll are more than welcome to show up. The more we have the better idea we'll have to see what type of team we can get together.

5. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Just got a chance to respond to this. I'm in as well. 6'2 195. I played at the last pick up game out that Behad organized. I play whatever position is needed.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

sent an email, biggie.

7. TMac640

gimme a shout on aim if ya get a chance biggie about the time.

8. BiGGieStuFF

After Tmac640's advice for the first meet up, this looked like it might help us out here.

We can meet at 24 hour fitness on San Felipe and Voss which has a basketball court. I figure around 11ish Saturday morning the court wouldn't be too packed but for those w/o a gym membership you could probaly use this free pass

http://www.24hourfitness.com/db/promo.list

Of course you'll probably have to go through a tour but at least we can hoop indoors and get everyone together for a little bit.

What do you guys think? I myself have a membership so I'm good to go. I believe 4 others had memberships also right?

9. TMac640

slight change of plans (I believe if biggie thinks it sounds cool):

only problem with the 24 hour fitness memberships (10 day guest passes) is that you must use them 10 days in a row, not just like 3-4 days in a 10 day period, but 10 full days in a row.

for a place where we might all just meet once , this 10 days in a row won't really do us much good.

however, the ymca's had a free guest pass coupon service on their website for a while now and I've used it about 6-7 times to tell ya its legit and no gay strings attached other than it's a "one time" coupon (unless ya just go again in 3 weeks lol).

to get it go to http://www.ymcahouston.org, click membership, and then the coupon is right by "If you're not a YMCA member, please join us. Don't know where your closest Y is? Click here to find a Y near you. If you want to try the YMCA first, be our guest. Here's a FREE guest pass to 'Try the Y Free for a Day'

since we might be meeting at a centralized ymca, this might be a viable option to try out.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm can't wait for the next one. i've only been to one get-together and it was a blast.

i'm not much of an organizer, otherwise i'd set it up. plus, i'm not as well known as others here and the majority would probably ignore me. :( but, i'd be more than willing to bring some brew and beef.:)

11. TMac640

yeah I wouldn't mind that either, even though we're doing the league around july

would be down for a pickup game

12. EMAN34

EMAN34 Contributing Member

Yeah that would be pretty cool let me know if yall decide to meet up for pick up games im down

13. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

So who's in for a 2nd team for the league?

14. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I might be down depending on location and time.

24 yo, 6'4" 240. Looks like you guys could use some size. I'm a good post player, but have a much better mid range to long distance game.

15. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

I'd be in, and looks like there's around 4 more that are possible.

Tmac640 or mogrod, either of you got a roster of the players or anything? Can't make it to anything this Saturday since I won't be back in town yet, but after the 28th I'll be good for practically anything at any time.

16. droxford

droxford Member

I very much want to join - but I gotta say that I'm optional until I confirm my schedule.

Also - By July, the downtown basketball park should be open. It'll be hotter'n hell out there, but it's free. By the way - check out my update on the progress at Root Square Memorial Park

Me:

6"0 - 170 lbs
    36 yr old
    love to play hoop and very competitive, but never played organized ball. Tenacious on both ends of the court, but I get winded and need breaks. My shooting is rusty, but if I get the cobwebs shaken off, I'm decent. I'm old, but I do an okay job of keeping up with the younguns. No vertical.

My scounting report from Carrol Dawson, "He lives here in Houston and works really hard on the court in many of the intangible areas. I think he's a good fit for this team."

17. BiGGieStuFF

For those who are interested in the league please send me an email at biggiestuff@hotmail.com. I only have a few of your email addresses. Need to see how many we got for the 1st team and how many for the 2nd.

It doesn't look like a lot of people are free this Saturday to meet up. I would definitely like to get some people together though this Saturday still just to see what talent we have on tap.

I'm thinking by 11am Saturday at the Rice outdoor courts should be a good meet-up (weather permitting) I'm pretty sure some of you don't want to go through the trouble of signing up for free passes to 24 hour or YMCA

Let me know if you can make it.

18. EMAN34

EMAN34 Contributing Member

Yeah I can make it on Saturday and I know how to get to Rice, but where are the courts exactly?

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i'm still there. i make it back from my trip friday morning and don't have work on saturday until 5-ish. if you get a chance biggie, email me the directions to the rice courts. thanks for setting all this shat up. :)

tigercranestyle@gmail.com

20. BiGGieStuFF

Off of sunset at gate 16. Where are you coming from? It's right off of sunset and main.

Sunset Rice Court

From the map you'd take a left sunset from main. Gate 16 and you should see the court right there.