1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

basketball leagues

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, May 12, 2005.

1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

def.

although if there are like 14-16 people replying , we could consider the possibility of adding two teams

but 8's just about right, allows some of us to get breathers while resting some of us at a time of course.

beats having just 5 in and only 5 players :p

also just a note for the "tenative schedules"

we'd probably be joining the INT (initial league I guess) instead of comp , to test out the waters and see how it is.

so that narrows the playing days down to either monday or tuesday, if a few more people reply, we can decide on either day to pick for the team.

Day Date Time Levels
    Monday July 18 6:30-10:30pm Int
    Tuesday July 19 6:30-10:30pm Int
    Thursday July 21 6:30-10:30pm Comp

#21 TMac640, May 13, 2005
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't think you can have more than 8 to a team. We could have less but 8 brings the price per person down a bit. Plus you never know how people's schedules might be. Might lose two people in one night to other obligations.

3. EMAN34

EMAN34 Contributing Member

I would be interested if you need an extra. Im about 5'8" but Im a good passer, a pesky defender, and a lefty:D . Let me know if you have a spot. Thanks

4. TMac640

yep your in bro

your the 8th potential or 7th potential playoff spot, pending omega's decision and schedule as to whether he'll play or not.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I'm down to play...looking for a team to play with since i played last in YMCA leagues few years in a row....play all the time at 24 hour fitness but was looking for a team to run and have some competitive fun.....

6. TMac640

well alright, here's the list of probable first 8 team members for club monkey........ playing on mon or tues's of the week , starting in mid july

1) Tmac640 (me)
    2) Rule0001 (my friend)
    3) Eman34
    4) Stack24
    5) BiggieStuff
    6) Rocketsredglare
    7) mogrod
    8) mogrod's brother

possibles for a second team:

omega
    biggie's friend

if there's enough interest for a second team, then whoever out of the next 8 can be the leader of getting that team started

as for where the first 8 will meet, maybe a park or your bar stack to collect money and then/or play a bit of basketball?

#26 TMac640, May 13, 2005
  7. BiGGieStuFF

Now we need to organize a time when we can get together and size up what we have as far as talent and skillsets. I'd like to meet possibly on a Saturday which I'm hoping most of you guys will be free. Possibly next Saturday on the 21st morning or afternoon. Maybe even sooner if we can come to an agreement on a day. Obviously since the league day will be either on a Monday or Tuesday we should get into the habit of meeting those days. We can shoot for this coming Tuesday if you guys like.

Please email me your time schedule at biggiestuff@hotmail.com

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

phock it. i'm in. i see you have eight. if anybody drops out or if rules allow for reserves, put me in the spot (fingers crossed).

i'm down for a saturday morning skill test even if all the eight show up.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

hmm. a basketball playing thread without kam in it. It's like Tara Reid without a beer in her hand.

I work til 9pm every night except on Fridays.

I would love to though.

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well..just to throw this out there.... I work over at the Weekley YMCA on Stella Link...and we have ongoing adult (18 and up) Tuesday night basketball leagues. We had a league that just ended this week with 8 teams (incuding a FA team) and a new leauge is set to start in a few weeks. It gets fairly competitive but everybody knows its all in good fun. Could be too far for away for you, but if u or anyone else is interested just lemme know and I'll hook u up w/ the Sports Director's info.

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

What we should, to get a read on what we have already, is post a scouting report of yourself.

--------------------------

1) Tmac640 (me)
    2) Rule0001 (my friend)
    3) Eman34
    4) Stack24
    5) BiggieStuff
    6) Rocketsredglare
    7) mogrod
    8) mogrod's brother

possibles for a second team:

omega
    biggie's friend

--------------------------

These are the guys that look like will be involved or could be depending if someone backs out or can't make it.

I'll start...

MOGROD: 6'0 • 230 lbs. • 27 yrs. old
    Can play SG, SF, or PF but prefers to be either forward... Loves to rebound and defend... Will do all the dirty work and all the little things that do not show up in the box score... Not as quick or agile like when younger due to years of playing catcher in baseball... Learned to have nice "back to the basket" post game because of it... Consistent shot from anywhere... Very competitive... Loves being in the pressure situations and/or the game on the line on both ends of the court.

MOGROD's BRO: 5'10 • 180 lbs. • 22 yrs. old
    Can play either guard spot... Likes to create shots for others... When motivated, nice on-ball defender... Streaky shooter... when hot, he is unstoppable.. when cold, frostbite... Shoots well coming off of screens... Quick enough to get in the lane... Bob Sura-esque in attitude on the court... Does well at playing passing lanes... Very competitive.

OK, so you other guys, let everyone in on what kind of player you are so we have some kind of idea the team we have.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

OHHHH~!!

That sounds fun. Let me play "Describe Your Game."

Kam: 5'8'' | 132 lbs | 22 y/o in 22 days.

Can play Point Guard and Small Forward.

Defense: Good shotblocker. Excellent defense. Likes to guard bigger fellas cause he can fall on the excuse that these guys are waaay bigger than he is. What the hell is he doing guarding these guys? Likes to full court press. Great leaping ability.

Offense: Offensive. It's like playing four on five with me. Finds the open man. Run run run the court. Not the greatest shooter. Miss layups. Good at putting tip ins.

Intangibles: Just enjoy having fun on the court.

13. TMac640

here goes.....

afraid mine won't be too impressive though lol

Tmac640 (Travis)

Height: 5'8/5'9
    Weight: 198-200 lbs
    Age: 18 yrs old (although by the time this tournament starts, I'll be 19, on july 19th go figure)

Not really sure what positions I can play, since when playing pickup ball, I've never really played a "certain" position. However, when on the court it seems I fit the sf/pf mold, so I guess either of those two positions would be preferred. Not a great ballhandler so that'd be why I would prefer not to play a quick position like a pg or sg. I can shoot though, have a bit of an inside game that could always use some work, but is adequate as is. I can shoot the outside jumper as well as the mid range shot. Somewhat of a streaky shooter, will either be hot or cold in a game, very few games in between. Not the quickest of the lot in terms of speed and agility, however, I'll hustle and grab every single rebound I can. Not much of a shotblocker however. To be honest though, anything above, I'm not 100% sure about since playing in the backyard and the occasional pickup game isn't exactly the same as a league. But that's what I feel I bring coming into this team.

-tmac

#33 TMac640, May 13, 2005
  14. EMAN34

EMAN34 Contributing Member

Im 5'8"210lb I have a good hook shot down on the left block, decent shooter, attack the boards, like to set up my teammates,and believe it or not a decent shot blocker. Weakness not quick enough to guard quick guards, but I like to play defense. Saturday meeting would be fine or anytime on weekdays after 5:30 just let me know

15. BiGGieStuFF

I'm 5'10" 185lbs.

With my asian friends I usually play power forward. I post up quite a bit on them as they aren't strong enough to handle me one on one. I like to kick the ball out of the post when I'm doubled.

But playing with bigger opponents at the 24 I've had to pick up a perimeter game so I've picked up a mid range shot. I like to shoot on both wings and at the top of the key. Range is out to a foot inside the college 3. I can hit the 3 but It's pretty streaky. If i'm hot feed it to me. If i'm cold don't let me shoot outside my range. I don't have a fast first step but I can drive to the basket pretty hard and once I get into the paint I have quite a few head and shoulder fakes that allow me to get the shot off.

I pride myself in my defense and hustle. I get a lot of garbage points and body up on D quite a bit. I'm good at communicating picks and I love to set them as well.

I'm working on my slashing but at times I'm so used to spotting up that I forget that aspect of the game.

How many of ya'll have 24 hour fitness memberships to the sport ones with the basketball courts? If all of us have a membership we can definitely get some court time in say next Saturday. There are also some covered courts over at San Felipe and Yorktown near where I used to work that would be a good meeting point as well.

16. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I can meet up up whenever you guys want to Sat. or durring the week after work is fine. Monday is not the best day for me, but if we decide to play on Monday I could readjust my schedule.

I am 31 years old 6'1". I can (usually) hit the 3 & post up people my size. Bigger people I usually try to drive past. I can run the court (ran the marathon year before last) better then most.

I play ball around 4 times a week. I have a membership to 24hour fitness, but usually dont play there b.c it is so crowded.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Alrighty finally got a chance to respond to this.

Stack24 - 6'0" 210 (overweight at the moment :D )

Played organized ball since i was a kid always the taller kid i played inside and was a banger and rebounder. But as i got older didn't grow that much taller so started becoming more of a shooter. Not the best Ball handler but basically im an inside out type of guy. I can post up and rebound thanks to the fact that i have a great vertical. But im a really good shooter from everywhere including 3 point range...

So basically i can score from most places...whether midrange, long range or even bang down low and score on some inside game...I love coming around screens and just popping J's ...definently won't break you down on the dribble...i can create my shot on occasion but i like coming around screens or playing opposite someone that goes down low and kicks it out for easy 3's

I would have to also say i can go through some major streaks mad max style...if i am on i can hit about anything and will be unconcious shooting 3's but if i am off...i will go down low to get some easy baskets.

#37 Stack24, May 14, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  18. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

Man, looks like I'm a bit late, but if there are enough to make a second team I'd be down. I'm warning you now, I'm asian and the most organized ball I've played is UT intramurals, so forgive me if I accumulate to no more than Zan Tabak, and take this scouting report with a big ass chunk of salt..

5'11" 160 soaking wet 21 yrs old

I'm a role player at heart, so whatever the team needs me to do, I'll do it. I love playing defense, crashing the boards, and all that fun stuff. Pass first shoot dead last kind of guy, though my jumper's not bad, I just prefer the dimes. Typically play the 2 or 3, having a swingman build, usually only playing inside against my smaller asian friends.

No tmac here, but I'm a smart player with pretty decent court vision and awareness. Range out to the 3pt line, with decent athleticism going to the hoop.

Haven't seen too much of the competition in Houston, but I'm guessing the initial league can't be too much worse than the pickup games here at Gregory.

I'm free whenever, so if there's space on a team, let me know when and where and I'll be there.

Email me at mj_wang@mail.utexas.edu , thanks

#38 mj10501, May 14, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

anyone dropping out of the first team yet?

i'm 6'1", 160 (crackhead skinny), and i'm not revealing my skills.

20. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

I'd be interested in playing...

6'0 140-145

Pretty good 3pt shot when I've been practicing, can create a shot and dribble pretty well, nothing too flashy about my game really, but I've played for 6-7 years in pickup games. Id just be down for playing some basketball though, let me know if theres spots open, Im reliable to make games/practices, etc and I live in the Rice Village area if that matters.