1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Basketball] Increasing Shooting Range?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AFS, Jan 26, 2012.

1. AFS

AFS Member

So to about 17-18 feet, I can shoot pretty consistently. The shots are comfortable and I don't have to push to get the ball to the hoop. But taking those extra few feet back to the high school three-point line is past my limit. I feel like I really have to push to get the ball the distance it needs to go to get to the hoop. I'm trying to increase my arm strength to make it more comfortable, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about it. Any ideas on what I can do to increase my range?

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Arm strength? Shooting comes from the legs buddy.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its not arm strength.
    Its your lower body strength that gives you more power.

Its funny for me because I've stopped working out and my shooting range is better than my shooting range when I did work out. Arm strength has little effect apparently.

4. AFS

AFS Member

So would you think its more likely my release point? I try to shoot at the top of the jump just cause I found I'd get my shot blocked a lot more when I was releasing on the way up.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

height?

weight?

upload vid of shooting form?

You're probably starting too high, is my guess...

6. AFS

AFS Member

5'10 155lbs. I'll work on getting a video.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the idea that you have to release at the height of your jump is overrated. It takes good form and lift to really pull that off correctly, and height certainly helps. If you can't really do it, then you end up with no power to shoot at the height of the jump.

I'm 5'10 and 165, so i feel your pain. I kind of change up my shot depending on the distance. The further i am the lower i start on my release, and it's not necessarily to push more with your arms, but because when you put your arms too high you can't "squat" down a bit and then push off the floor. So it's a leg thing. On closer shots i start a little further up to get the shot up more quickly.

Work on releasing the ball faster and creating more space.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

A lot of times when people feel like they're releasing at the top of their jump, they're really letting go of the ball just as they're starting to come down.

You need to make sure you can feel your legs contributing to your shot.

9. Apps

Apps Member

Inb4 paulftsk.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Lower body strength(legs)
    /thread

11. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

More legs into the shot and increase distance a little at a time, don't sacrifice mechanics for more range.

12. Burko

Burko Member

3 things.

1. Release earlier
    2. Make sure your fingers are spread
    3. Snap your wrist a bit more.

Post back how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  13. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

It's leg strength, brah. Get a good, yet comfortable lift and shoot at the apex of your jump. Obviously you don't wanna shoot while you're going down... Don't heave it, brah, release your shot with fluidity/flick.

I'll let you in on a little secret, brah. I was playing a 1v1 game against some kid who was a lot shorter than me, so he had to make up the height differential by playing ridiculously aggressive D (even fouling me)(but I didn't call it) and so since he and his teammates were doubling, even triple covering me, I used my jumper to simply elevate over them and just wet it all game. Here lies the secret, brah: utilize the pump fake to open up the lanes. After making 5 or 6 consecutive jumpers, I merely pumped my defender(s) into the air and drove it in for an easy layup. If you're money from mid range, utilize this move. If you're beyond the arc, remember to simply use more leg and follow through with your shot. Practice makes perfect, brah. Shoot with confidence.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

1 person likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Remember to really use your wrist and fingers to give ti extra spin and power.
    I'm 5'11 and skinny but have no problem shooting from WAY beyond the 3pt line.
    I don't think legs are the most important part, I can shoot with comfort with a step behind the line using a set shot when I warm up.
    I do push ups and other body workouts from time to time, but I think it all goes down to just shooting a lot and having the right release point. Like one guy said, many guys jump and then release it when they're on their way down, that way all your power goes away. You have to shoot when you're at the highest point to maximize the effect.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

in after paulftsk

16. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Oopsie daisy! The kid wanted to challenge me 1v1 after that pickup game(which we won). Once again, though, OP, I used my legs to elevate above him in our subsequent one on one match and shot over him. He figured playing up on me would prevent me from scoring. Jokes were on him! I easily pump faked him in the air and drove it in for an easy layup. He then decided that he would play a bit further back. Jokes were on him! I easily made the jumper with that much space in front of me. Use your legs. Elevate. Score. Good luck, brah.

17. AFS

AFS Member

I'll try messing with my release point and get back to you guys. Also, I think I do need to videotape myself, cause I've never seen what I look like when I shoot.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Arms for accuracy. Legs for distance.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't get that legs are considered the most important part here.
    You should be able to do a set shot from behind the 3pt line. If you fail at that your arms are definitely too weak and your legs won't help that much.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ideally you want to release the ball as you're nearing the end of the lift you've generated from your legs. A lot of people instead start their shooting motion once they've reached their peak, which basically negates or lessens the amount of lift/power you've generated on the ball with your lower body. If you do that, you'll end up relying too much on your upper body for lift, which can really screw with the consistency of your release.