1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Basketball Analytics Forum

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by kevC, Feb 11, 2014.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

As the Rockets are on the forefront of NBA teams using basketball analytics, I think it would be fitting if the greatest fan forum in the world to have a basketball analytics wing where people can post all the interesting findings and maybe even some insights of our own on the analytics side of basketball (not necessary through a Rockets filter). We already have some great contributions going on in the GARM from people like durvasa (and I try to add a lot of analytics angle to many discussions) that get buried in a lot of crappy threads.

The Sonics used have a great forum for analytics and so do the Knicks (knickerblogger.net). Maybe some contributions can turn into full fledged articles for the main page. I also think the Clutchfans' boxscores could use a little beefing up besides just traditional stats. I think we have more than enough members who are well versed in this arena to really get some good stuff going.

I'll do everything I can to help.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think that's a good idea. Some of the good analytics threads get buried in the GARM. These threads are typically not very long as not many posters are able or have time to put up in-depth statistical analysis. But these threads are informative and can be referred to in some debates in the GARM.

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I know this feeling all to well.

I'm not sure how you could possibly moderate it though since their are different levels of effort and actual substance in analtyic threads with different members.

I'm all for a daily bima blog forum if that's allright ;)

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Clutch can designate a few posters to start threads in the Analytics Forum. Other posters can post but cannot start threads. Thread starters can be added based on their post qualities in these threads.

How about a Cappology and Analytics Forum?

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I nominate JC Denton as moderator.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Why would it be a problem? There are crappy threads in every subforum here, and the most egregious ones get locked or deleted. Why would we treat this one any different?

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Plus, it's pretty easy to identify a bad analytics thread (typically with simplistic graphs or lacking in details), and I would imagine (hope) that most of the readers of the analytics forum would be wise enough not to bump up troll posts.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I would argue it would be easier to moderate.

In the general forum, you have a wide variety of opinions and subjects for people to give their opinions of. Quite a few of those opinions are dumb, but what kind of forum would this be if we deleted all dumb posts? We try very hard to only moderate outright trolling and repeated patterns of bad behavior.

In a more specialized forum like what yall are suggesting, it would be much easier to decide what posts are on-topic and relevant to the discussion...any post that is obviously not relevant to the discussion would be removed. Also, since the subforum would be so specialized in what subject matter is allowed, it also would have much less postings, therefore making it easier for the mods to keep on top of them.

All that said, I really dont know if we have enough active posters that are *actually* well versed enough to support a subforum this specialized.

I personally would dig it, yall know that Im much more comfortable speaking to the technical aspects of the NBA than anything else.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about that. If the Styx forum have enough people to support it, I'm sure a analytics forum would too. :grin:

10. Voice of Aus

yeah i have only been here 6 months but i would be confident we could pump out enough traffic, compared to the RGV, draft and fantasy forums

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Our bodies are ready.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can I start my annual Pat Riley Stat Thread in the analytics forum (Road wins v Home losses), where everyone argues about the validity of the stat, because it always shows the Rockets aren't as good as their midseason record shows.

We aren't the #3 seed, right now.

I even bet durvasa $1000 to his $100 last year, that the Rockets current ranking in January 2013 actually had them a #7 seed, vs Hollinger ranking them 3rd in the league.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

To clarify, I don't think this was the bet. The bet was which would be on average more accurate for all 30 teams, not just the Rockets in particular. And the bet was $20 to the tip jar.

We settled on how we would evaluate this, and I posted the final results at the end of last season here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=7860059&highlight=heypartner#post7860059

14. Voice of Aus

thoughts on the analytics forum idea?

15. durvasa

If someone wants to post a stats-oriented thread pertaining to the Rockets, does that go in the GARM or in this proposed forum?

16. Voice of Aus

my assumption is its the new forum since the get buried in the garm

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I remember this. Did you ever pay up heyp?

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What do you mean. The Riley Stat Predicted Rockets to be exactly a 45 win team when Hollinger had them as a #4 in the league, nailing it! It perfectly matched their record, as predicted. :p

btw durvasa: can't remember how you come up with Hollinger's predicted wins. Does he predict it?

19. durvasa

If I recall, ESPN had projected win totals for all teams which are computed based on Hollinger's power rankings. Though now that I think about it, it probably also accounted for the remaining schedule. I don't think I did this when supplying projections based on your Riley Stat (its been over a year, so I don't really remember), which would have put yours at a disadvantage. Maybe that's the reason yours did worse.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

He clearly proved that Hollinger is more right than your stupid "Riley stat". I've never seen anyone so wrong be so adamant about being right before. Unless you're saying "Riley Stat" is only correct for the Rockets. :rolleyes: