1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball] The Florida Marlins firesale

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lalala902102001, Dec 5, 2005.

1. lalala902102001

I can't stand this Marlins firesale that's going on right now. Look at their lineup from last season:

C-Lo Duca-traded
    1B-Delgado-traded
    2B-Castillo-traded
    SS-Gonalez-FA...not to be resigned
    3B-Lowell-traded
    LF-Cabrera-retained as the franchise player
    CF-Pierre-to be traded soon
    RF-Encarnacion-FA...gone

Only one player is left from last year's starting lineup.

Besides, they've traded Josh Beckett and let go A.J. Burnett.

I know they are moving to a new city soon, but what is going on right now is just wrong. I just can't stand a team intentionally trade away all their MLB-ready players and tank the season just in order to save money. This is the business side of baseball at its ugliest. Yes I know they did it once before and ended up winning the championship again, but that doesn't make this sort of behavior right. I hope that MLB puts some restrictions on these sorts of firesale deals.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, they are a team that's built to compete every 5 years or so, after 4 years of rebuilding.

They are currently in the rebuilding stage. I don't mind it, because I'm not a Marlins fan.

3. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Well its the second time in eight years that this is being done by the same franchise but it worked out for them since they won two World Series in seven years.

It also has to do with the fact that they cannot get approval for a new stadium so the owner has told management to cut the payroll in half. With all the moves made I believe the Marlins have saved around $23 million which is a little over 2/3rds ther payroll last year (was around $60 million).

Hey if it works out for them...great, one less team for the Astros to have to compete with to get to the playoffs. At least they won't end up like these guys for the forseeable future.

4. lalala902102001

I'm no marlins fan either, but as a baseball fan I'd like to see every team compete and try to win, which the Marlins franchise certainly is not doing. There are ways to rebuild a team, and this sort of "rebuilding" should not be one of them.

If I were one of the few Miami residents who bought the Marlins season ticket, I'd be really pissed now.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If the idiot voters would just approve a stadium plan, they wouldnt have to go through this time and time again. I applaud the owner for sticking it to the residents who do not support the team in any manner what so ever.

6. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Okay, so since every other city voluntarily decided to raise taxes where new stadiums and arenas are built, you think Miami-Dade should just cooperate?

And you might want to be careful on who you are calling idiot voters...it isn't the citizens, it's the city and state administration that don't want to give them $$$.

Baseball is bad business down here; the typical Miami fan is the most difficult to market to and having a ****ty stadium in a ****tier location (as it is now) isn't helping. But where else to put it? Next to the Orange Bowl was a thought, but is no way feasible.

The new thing going through city government is a proposal to tear down to Orange Bowl, but fails to list specific reasons...perhaps the plan is to build a new Orange Bowl, but it makes sense that it would be for the Marlins.

However, I doubt that will happen as it takes forever to get anything done. The only people cooperating with the Marlins are the Dade County folks, but that's not good for Marlins business.

The fact is it doesn't matter how ****ty your stadium is; if you can't market a team that has won two championships in 6 years, you've got serious issues (they're so desperate for fans that they have cheerleaders...CHEERLEADERS at a BASEBALL GAME).

And if that same team doesn't support from the fans (okay, there is no such thing as a Marlins fan), they don't deserve a team.

It was an experiment that has gone awry and never should have been; unless the Marlins get a downtown baseball stadium, there's no way they should be anywhere near South Florida.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

still wanna trade franchises with marlins fans?? sorry..but the price of those 2 world series championships is a bit steep. including losing your team forever.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Did they make the playoffs with that roster last year? I forget.

;)

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Baseball in the hurricane magnet of the country was a bad idea to begin with.

10. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Hey, one less team that will be in contention for the Wild Card next year! :D

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

As a baseball fan, that sucks, especially if your one of the few Marlin fans...The stadium will be more empty than when they had a team...

Move to another city and rebuild from there...