1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball] Felix Hernandez

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lalala902102001, Aug 10, 2005.

1. lalala902102001

I know he was ranked as Baseball America's No. 1 overall prospect in 2005. He made his home debut for Seattle Mariners tonight and pitched 8 shutout innings against the Twins. I didn't see the game, but the numbers look great. What shocked me is that this kid is only 19 years old. I personally don't remember the last time when a teenager pitched in the majors and was successful. This could be a great fantasy baseball pickup for next season.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

3. PhiSlammaJamma

He looks good so far. Pimp got him in our Fantasy league. But does he have the guts to start him.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's all Pupura's fault that he's not an Astro.

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

2 years ago Dontrelle Willis was 18 when he started and was very successful. I discovered and started him in our fantasy leagues, as I intend on doing with Felix very soon PSJ. Keep my number one seed warm.

:D

6. Buck Turgidson

Nope, he was 21.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

DOH! You're right.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Larry Dierker started his first game at 18 years old and struck out Willie Mays in the first inning, not too shabby.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I saw Felix pitch agains Round Rock earlier this season. He is damn good. He was mowing down AAA without using his best pitch (slider). The Mariners brass asked that he didn't throw it so that he wouldn't put too much strain on his arm. He's going to be very good very soon.

10. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I saw the highlights on Sportscenter, and all I can say is WHOAH! :eek: His stuff is FILTHY! He's got a 98 mph four seam heater with great movement. He's got a 12 to 6 nasty curve that's considered the best in the minors. He throws his 82 mph changeup with confidence. And the slider is his best pitch of all. Apparently the M's (how do they always end up with the best prospect in baseball, anyway?) would not let him use it in the minors because of the stress it puts on the elbow. They are being really careful with him so he doesn't end up like a Cubs prospect.

What really sets this kid apart is his competetive spirit. He has the same fire of a Roger Clemens or Michael Jordan. He just wants to win. I remember reading an article when he was at San Antonio. His teammates basically said that he had to win everything. Even playstation games. He is just sick in that respect.

He has been compared to Dwight Gooden since they both made their debut at the ripe age of 19. His stuff is just as electric, but he has the potential to be in a class of his very own.