1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball] David Ortiz and Manny used PEDs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by justtxyank, Jul 30, 2009.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/sports/baseball/31doping.html?_r=2&ref=sports

/ESPN faints

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Worst kept secret in MLB..Just look at Ortiz and his steep decline..Manny was and is a great hitter but, much like Bonds, it took him to a god like level.

3. justtxyank

David Ortiz condemned A-Rod for using them and has routinely been in the papers damning any player who used them.

4. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Baseball is full of hypocrits and liars.. :rolleyes:

5. justtxyank

http://www.yfsf.org/2009/02/ortiz-ban-steroid-users-for-a-year.html

Let me retract. He wasn't the player I remember hearing coming down hard on A-Rod. He did say this though..

6. rockets934life

Yep and he has to face the firing squad for it...I never really took him seriously looking at his body of work and now he will probably be labeled just like R. Palmerio is now "LIAR and CHEAT"

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not really a surprise. Bill Simmons wrote an article about steroids, the Red Sox World Series titles, and explaining to his son about how great it was, but that they were probably cheating. He specifically mentioned David Ortiz. To me, at this point it isn't a big deal. Just don't go Roger Clemens about it.

Edit:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090507&sportCat=mlb

He has written other stories on Ortiz and steroids too.

#7 juicystream, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously, are people still surprised by all these “so and so used steroids!!!” headlines anymore?? Not exactly a shocking revelation. And I could say that about ANY baseball player.

9. justtxyank

I agree. I don't care at all anymore to be honest. I used to be outraged, but the more and more tested the more I realized it was just part of the game the same way scuffing a ball, spitballs, greenies, etc. were before baseball came down on that crap too.

Ortiz bugs me because he has been such an outspoken critic of steroid/ped use. He's the one who said that anyone who uses should be thrown out for a year.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

was it curt schilling? i know schilling was pretty outspoken against steroids. oh, and at this point, just release the entire list. this whole list is just gonna leak for months and months if it isnt

11. juicystream

I'm certain Curt Schilling comes down hard on everyone. If that guy used, I would care considering he has by far been the most outspoken one.

12. rockets934life

Two names that would still SHOCK me would be...

Craig Biggio
    Cal Ripken Jr.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

also, Adam Everett. :D

14. rockets934life

LOLOLOL...was going to include him but wanted to go the serious route but yea he would literally make me lose the little faith I have in MLB lol

15. juicystream

I'm convinced Tim Bogar was using.

16. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

sadly, i have grown complacent to these sort of proclamations. sucks for them, but nobody in this era of baseball will be able to completely exonerate themselves. the clean pro's would be wise to start outing all known users, and then hopefully they will be compelled to tell on themselves rather than wait for their reputation be wrecked by someone else (who likely doesn't know the true extent of the use). methinks a true witch hunt is about the only way to clean up after this mess.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

David Carr used steroids. For his hair.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I would add Ken Griffey Jr. to that list. I really hope he never used PEDs.

19. sbyang

sbyang Member

Baseball is run by morons. That 2003 test is just ridiculous. It's supposed to be anonymous but now all these names are leaking out. They need to just review all the names and get it over with, having it come out 1 at a time is just bad for the game and bad for these players.

And as for Ortiz and Manny, I don't care if these guys used PEDs or whatever. They played in a league where everyone used the stuff. They would have been idiots not to use. I was a big fan or Ortiz before this came out and I am still a big fan of Ortiz.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

I have never cared about steroids but Ortiz should have kept his mouth shut or at least not been so outspoken about it when he talked about players testing positive for it.