1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

baseball cracks down on "dugout daycare"

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by keeley, Oct 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Damn, I almost forgot about that. I remember watching highlights of one of the World Series games. They showed two separate home runs, and after each homer, there was a kid there to greet the player that hit the home run. I was like, "What, these guys can't afford a babysitter?"

3. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

That is r****ded. What is the big deal? It gives the kids a great expierence. MLB shouldn't give a damn.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Although I was pulling for the Angels, I have to admit that it was sad when FOX was showing Dusty's son crying after the game. Yeah, I guess this is a good move. Plus, we don't want the kids getting hurt out there. (i.e. Dusty's son, Game 5) But it's not as big of a deal though as some people are making it... it certainly doesn't make baseball look "ridiculous" like the people in the article said, though.

#4 Baseballa, Oct 28, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2002
  5. red

red Contributing Member

last time i checked baseball was a game that was supposed to be fun.

boooooooo urns on selig

6. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

They should try to crack down on steroids instead of little kids in the dugout.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

True.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I agree with baseball on this one. I know as a player I would have been distracted by kids in the dugout. I thought it looked silly in the Series as well. As a coach in baseball and basketball, I do not allow anyone in the dugout or courtside who does not have a reason to be there.

If you want to learn the game, sit in the stands and pay attention.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Could someone please post the text, for some reason the ESPN website tweaks at my office.

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Monday, October 28

Official: 'We look ridiculous and very unprofessional'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The kiddie corps which populated the San Francisco Giants' dugout during the World Series won't be repeated, according to Major League Baseball officials.

Commissioner Bud Selig told the New York Daily News on Monday that, starting next year, baseball will issue a new set of rules on who can and can't be in the dugout. According to the newspaper, that list will include players, manager and coaches, trainers and two bat boys.

"Obviously, this thing got out of hand," Selig told the Daily News over the weekend. "As soon as the Series is over, it will be addressed."

Heightening concerns over youngsters in the dugout was Giants manager Dusty Baker's 3½-year-old son, Darren, who was nearly run over as he tried to retrieve a bat during play in Game 5. Giants first baseman J.T. Snow grabbed Baker by the jacket collar at the plate before he could be hurt.

According to the Daily News, Selig and the rest of the baseball hierarchy were embarrassed by the incident, as well as the number of children in the Giants' dugout (including the sons of Barry Bonds and Shawon Dunston.

"This has become a travesty," one baseball official told the Daily News. "We look ridiculous and very unprofessional."

Baseball had allowed Kannon Kile, the 5-year-old son of the late Darryl Kile, to be in the Cardinals' dugout during the National League Championship Series. He was an honorary bat boy and "inspirational source."

"It was a very sensitive thing," the official said, "which is why we granted it. The Giants simply took it too far."

Darren Baker had been in the Giants dugout before. The team was 8-0 with him this season before losing the final two games of the World Series. Bonds' son has been a regular bat boy while the Giants are at home for several seasons.

11. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I guess I've just been through too many 'Bring Your Sons and Daughters To Work Days'...

Behad's faster than me... lmao, now that's service

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Keely beat me to it by a couple of seconds.

Edit: As apparently did Behad.

#12 arkoe, Oct 28, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2002
  13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

yea, I got another window up and the text for that article on the clipboard ready to be pasted away...lol

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Haha, thats too funny.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Thanks Behad, keeley, arkoe, and Manny. Isn't this board great? Ask and you shall receive.

16. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Amen.
    I have no problem with kids in the dugout, unless they are distracting, which they didn't seem to be. One other thing that they should crack down on is those rally things that people bang on. Like when the fans were hitting one of the Giants outfielders with them.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Security removed that fan, so I don't really have a problem with those blowup sticks they were beating. As far as having kids in the dugout, I'm kinda torn. I think its a nice idea, but not really in the best interests of the team or the kids - Baker's son could have been seriously hurt if JT Snow wasn't paying attention or if there had been a play of the plate.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The big deal is these little kids could be hurt by a foul ball into the bullpen or, like was demonstrated, almost getting run over on home plate. I think it is ridiculous to have little kids in the dugout during the game. They have no business being in the dugout.

Once the first toddler in the dugout gets beaned by a line drive foul ball, then let's ask "what's the big deal?". Daddy is supposed to have his head in the game...not looking after the toddler. Maybe San Francisco would have won the series if they weren't so pre-occupied with running a daycare in the dugout.

Plus, Baker's son obviously wasn't up for the emotions of the game. There's no crying in baseball.

19. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I guess you might be right, but kids can get hurt in the stands too. I think that they should allow older kids in the dugout, but not let them out of the dugout.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

They do allow older kids in the dugout, but only a couple of them. They're called bat boys.