1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball] Boggs Sandberg elected to Hall

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1958895

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Wade Boggs was overwhelmingly elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility Tuesday, and Ryne Sandberg made it with just six votes to spare on his third try.

Boggs, a five-time American League batting champion for the Boston Red Sox, was selected by 474 of the record 516 voters who are 10-year members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

The 91.86 percent of ballots he received was the 19th-highest percentage in Hall history, and he became the 41st player elected on his first chance.

Sandberg, the 1984 National League MVP for the Chicago Cubs, was picked by 393 voters. He appeared on 76.2 percent of ballots, just above the 75 percent cutoff (387). Sandberg received 49.2 percent of votes in 2003 and got 61.1 percent last year, falling 71 votes short.

Reliever Bruce Sutter, appearing on the ballot for the 12th time, received 344 votes (66.7 percent), up from 301 last year but 43 shy of what was needed this time. He was followed by Jim Rice (307), Rich "Goose" Gossage (285) and Andre Dawson (270).

Willie McGee, also on the ballot for the first time, received 26 votes, exactly at the 5 percent cutoff to avoid being dropped in future years. Darryl Stawberry, another first-time eligible, got six votes.

Pete Rose, ineligible for the ballot because of his lifetime ban from baseball, received nine write-in votes, six fewer than last year and his lowest total. Rose, who admitted last year that he bet on the Cincinnati Reds while managing them in the late 1980s, has been written in on 239 of 6,687 ballots (3.6 percent) over 14 years.

He must be reinstated by late November to appear on the ballot in 2006, the final year he would be eligible.

Boggs, known for his array of pre- and postgame rituals, was a 12-time All-Star during an 18-year career, finishing with 3,010 hits.

He won batting titles in 1983 and from 1985-88, becoming the first player to win the AL batting championship in four straight years since Rod Carew from 1972-75. Boggs, who hit .300 or higher 15 times, finished with a .328 career average and was the only player in the 20th century with seven straight 200-hit seasons. He also became the first player to get 200 hits and 100 walks in four consecutive seasons.

A two-time Gold Glove winner at third base, Boggs played for the Red Sox from 1982-92, then spent five seasons with the New York Yankees, helping the team win the 1996 World Series and riding a police horse around Yankee Stadium after the final victory.

His final two seasons were with his hometown Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

On Aug. 7, 1999, Boggs became the 23rd member of the 3,000-hit club, connecting off Cleveland's Chris Haney to become the first player to get No. 3,000 with a home run. After circling the bases, Boggs kissed home plate.

Sandberg was a nine-time Gold Glove second baseman and a 10-time All-Star. He hit 277 homers, the most by a second baseman at the time of his retirement, and led the NL with 40 in 1990. His .989 fielding percentage is the highest at the position.

Boggs and Sandberg will increase the Hall of Fame's membership to 260, of which 102 were selected by the BBWAA. Induction ceremonies are July 31 in Cooperstown.

Results of voting by the Veterans Committee will be released March 2. Gil Hodges, Tony Oliva and Ron Santo were among the 25 candidates on that ballot.

Among the players eligible for the first time on next year's BWAA ballot are Orel Hershiser, Will Clark and Dwight Gooden.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

Did anyone ever get 100% of all votes? I know Nolan Ryan got close to that

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

They deserved it. Jim Rice deserves it also. I'm not sold on Bruce Sutter....yet.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

where's Bill Doran?? :confused:

:)

6. whag00

whag00 Member

With Sandberg in that should make it easier for Biggio to get in.

7. BigM

BigM Member

i still don't understand why some of these guys don't get 100% of the vote. some of these voters are r****ded.

8. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Baseball writers are the most illogical collection of dolts ever assembled. To wit, where's the love for Bert Blyleven?

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Boggs was my favorite player and the reason I became a Yankee fan. The man was like a surgeon at the plate, dissecting the defense for an endless parade of hits. I think he was probably the best hitter I ever got to see play the game.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Wade Boggs was the reason, along with Roger Clemens, why I started liking the Red Sox. I still remember the 1985 season where he had 240 hits. But I soured on him (and Clemens) when they became members of the CFYs.:p

Nonetheless, he was a no-brainer for the Hall (3,000 hits = automatic election unless you are a gambler). Bruce Sutter should be elected but it looks like he may have to wait until he becomes eligible by the Veterans Committee.

11. lalala902102001

They can only vote for two people every year. They have to make a choice among several greaxt players. There's always a difference in opinion there (in terms of which two they should vote for). That's why nobody has received 100% vote.

12. Kam

Kam Member

if youre good enough to go in your first year, you should be able to go.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I think if Pete Rose would of been in the HOF, he would pretty close to 100%, thats with the gambling thing put aside though. No way he would be that close now seeing as a lot of writers think he doesnt deserve to be in.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well that and the fact that he has been BANNED from baseball which means he will always be a write-in candidate for the Hall and even if he got enough write-in votes, he still wouldn't be allowed in.

15. Austin70

Austin70 Member

He was one of my favorite Astros of the 80s.

16. francis 4 prez

no.

i'm not sure what the limit is, or if there is one, but i wanna say it's 10 or 12. the non-100% thing is definitely not because of choosing among great players. it's just b/c in any group there will always be idiots. it's a law of nature. and baseball HOF voters have their fair share.

and i still don't get what took sandberg this long. not that i got to see him play much, but the most homers ever at 2b and gold gloves year after year (highest fielding % by a 2b since 1900 i just saw on espn). and putting up big numbers in the horrible offensive era of the 80's (outside of '87). what more did the voters need to see?

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

Glad to see Sandberg get in.....Classy Guy

18. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Well thats what i sorta meant by the gambling thing put aside....

19. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, but this is ****ing silly.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's exactly what I was thinking. Why didn't StupidMoniker become a Devil Rays fan, since he's going into the Hall as one?

Toured the submarines, yet? ;) BTW, your flight better not get in after noon on Sunday. Just kidding, it can get in whenever, you just may have to sit at the bar until I can pry myself away from the games. :D

Seriously, lemme know if you need a ride.