1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baseball America discusses Astros' top prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bigtexxx, Jan 31, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Not if he backed out and went after other hitters.

2. msn

msn Member

Accepting? I didn't know I had any say in the matter! I'd better call that Astros' front office and bash some heads!! PLAN B DAMMIT!!! Anything less than a World Series ring is MEDIOCRE!

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

making sense again?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Depends on what your definition of mediocrity is. I consider being in the hunt every September for the past 10 years (except 2000) as much better than mediocre, especially conisdering only 4 teams (25% ) make the NL playoffs.

I'll wait to see what the 25 man roster turns out to be and to see how the 2005 team plays before passing judgement. Have they had a disappointing offseason - Yes. Will they have a disappointing 2005 - Perhaps, but I'll wait and see rather than drawing a conclusion on February 4.

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Member

Did you really want to spend the type of money that would have been required for those pitchers

Millwood 7 mill ( I might have taken a flyer on him but coming off an injury is too risky for 7 mill)

Lowe 12 mill ( I don't know how he will equate to the NL but you have to wonder why Boston did not make a run at him)

Milton 11 mill ( flyball pitcher in Minute maid...see Lima)

Perez 11 mill ( he has had surgery in the past and had elbow issue late in the year definitely not worth the risk of a 3 year 24 mill contract)

Williams 3.5 mill ( may have been a bargin but he wanted to go to San Diego)

Wright 7 mill( finally had a good year but how long will his arm holdup? Is he worth the risk? not at 3 years 21 mill)

Ortiz 8.5 mill ( signed his deal almost a month before the Beltran deadline.)

Pavano 11 mill ( signed his deal almost a month before the Beltran deadline.)

Miller 3 mill ( it would have cost the Astros 4 mill just to keep him but they wanted a little less guaranteed due to injury risk. Miller not the Astros choose the less guaranteed money in Boston)

Why in the world would you spend big money on a pitcher when the obvious need is a bat. Remember that Oswalt and Berkman had not been signed and either of them would have been the best on the market if they were available.

#105 Dennis2112, Feb 4, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  6. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

HELLO...you asked me what pitchers were available....stop answering my posts please.....its painful having to remind you that YOU asked the question.:rolleyes:

7. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Member

I am merely giving my rebuttal of your answers. We both are neither right or wrong since there is no way to know exactly what went on in the backrooms of the Astros front office let alone any ML baseball front office.

:D

8. msn

msn Member

You keep charging into pistol fights with a water gun. You should be more respectful to your intellectual superiors.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

original...no really, i never heard that :rolleyes:

10. msn

msn Member

PLAN B!!!

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

out of ammo huh? buh bye

12. msn

msn Member

I could make fun of your dimly lit baseball posts all day. I love the "buh bye" remark, as if you can dismiss someone from a discussion. As your moniker is "NJRocket," perhaps you know more about basketball and would fare better discussing it.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

oooh...good one...no, really....top notch