1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tmacfor35, Feb 3, 2009.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Well, I may get bashed for this thread and I am almost expecting it, but I am getting tired of how the feds are trying to take down Bonds. Steroids or not is he really such a bad person that he deserves to go to prison. I am not so sure about that. He rescued baseball during his time, heck the feds havent tried half as hard to bring down other sluggers such as McGwire, or Sosa. I just want to hear other people's opinions on this subject. I mean the man made baseball somewhat fun to watch.

2. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

He is not being indicted for steroids, he is being indicted for lying to federal investigators. I agree he probably should not go to prison but a large fine or small time behind bars to get the message out will do.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's scum. Throw the book at him.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When did he join the Astros, Texans, or Dynamo?

Wrong Forum. This should be in Hangout.

5. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

On the subject of Bonds i have a question. I don't follow baseball so much so i don't understand why Clemens has had his legacy completely destroyed while Bonds has not had half as much damage. They both lied to the judge. Is the hate for Clemens because he lied and made a big deal in court or just because he did steroids. Steroids doesnt help a pitcher that much i would think.

6. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Kidding me, steroids is not just about strength, it is about quick healing of the muscles. Now think how important that is to a guy who throws 100+ pitches every 5 days.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well I'm thinking Bonds didn't talk to the media as nearly as much as Clemens has...shoot Clemens WANTED to testify before Congress.

Lost in the mix somewhat is Tejada. He apparently lied too, but he's gone quietly about his business. Clemens has been such a loud mouth during this whole thing when he could have either A) admit guilt or B) deny it once and not talk about it anymore.

8. TMAC_ATTACK

TMAC_ATTACK Member

Barry Bonds took steroids and needs to just step up and admit it to prevent himself from getting in more trouble then he already is in.

9. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I would say Bonds' reputation has taken a pretty big hit. The Balco case has been going on in public since 2002ish, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem like a drastic fall from grace. Or, maybe he was just never as well liked as Clemens? But, make no mistake, if it weren't for the steroid allegations Bonds would be considered arguably the greatest player of all time (only Babe Ruth would have a legit argument, imo). Will he even make the HOF now?

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly just what effects PED's have on player performance. They supposedly help recovery time, which would obviously help pitchers. Increased strength leads to increased velocity, which might help to explain the rising strikeout rates the over the last 15 years. I wouldn't assume that pitchers don't benefit from steroid use as much as hitters do.

Bonds by all accounts is a big A-hole, a possible sociopath, and almost certainly a knowing steroid user, but his whole investigation and prosecution has been outrageous. This didn't start with Bonds lying, it started in 2000 with ex-jock turned IRS agent Jeff Novitsky deciding that because he thought Bonds was a ******, he was going to go out of his professional area to investigate (the DEA didn't want anything to do with it) and prove Bonds did steroids. If you can find it, there is a good article about this from Playboy circa 2004 by Jonathon Littman called "Gunning for the big guy". The Balco investigation, wasn't about justice, or the integrity of the game, or protecting kids from drugs, it was about one failed athlete turned rogue IRS agent's personal mission to bring down someone (whether through GJ admission or perjury) because he was envious of his success and thought he was a jerk. So congratulations IRS and Bush justice department, you made Barry Bonds into a sympathetic figure. Quite an achievement!

#9 DoitDickau, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Imagine Ted Williams stats if he didn't miss 3 prime years (24 - 26) to World War 2 and the vast majority of 2 seasons when he was in the Korean War.

Of course Ruth lost some offensive year to pitching, but I'd rate Williams above Bonds any day of the week.

11. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

yea ted williams was ok ;)

but...Barry had a better peak (600 obp in a season :eek: ) and played ~800 more games. caveat of ignoring PED use of course.

You're right about the missed time in Williams' prime due to war service, but I'm just not sure what to do with that. and if we give him credit for those years, do we have to give bonds credit for a hypothetical 2008 season lost due to what likely was owner collusion?

#11 DoitDickau, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lying or not I just have a problem with a guy who has kids to go to prison for something like that. He didnt kill anybody, he didn't rape anybody, he lied about taking steroids to protect his image. Stupid reason to go to prison. I'm not a fan of how hard the government is trying to bring down guys for lying when they could be working on the economy or the war in Iraq.

13. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I think Bonds is a good guy. The media makes him out to be evil or something... but he is really nice to fans, extremely down to earth.

He is just not friendly to media, and that was his biggest problem.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

By this failed logic, we can release 95% of our prisoners.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I haven't really followed this story at all, but if Bonds is indicted for lying to the Feds- doesn't Roger Clemens face the same charge?

I personally admire Bonds alot. He is just portrayed as a bad guy by the media, just because he isn't very friendly with them. But he is friendly with the fans. Basically if you control the news, you can control public opinion.

16. Chamillionaire

not sure if he's going to jail, but it must have been a ***** to lie and have to live with it. he shoulda just been honest, he's got money, he's fine.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm sure we could find the case of the opposite types: The ones who are totally loved by the media (or on favorable), but is a geniune prick to everyone else, family members, team members, managment, mistresses, fans, and everyone else. Yet, the media tells us to love them, no matter what... :rolleyes:

18. lalala902102001

Barry Bonds and Pete Rose, perhaps the two greatest offensive players during the last 50 years, will never be in the Baseball HOF. Baseball is one screwed-up sport.

19. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but weren't Tejada's issues more about having no evidence of the drugs, but merely of the checks he paid with? Since he never had any positive tests or the evidence wasn't nearly as strong as Bonds' or Clemens' case, his denial essentially is his official stance. He never acknowledged taking anything, and there's no proof he did right?

It's just that, unless he says he bought drugs with those checks, he's good. Everyone knows it.

Bonds and Clemens were idiots and had bad legal advice. Still, they shouldn't go to prison. It's sickening how far the government has been taking these particular cases.

I'm not blaming George Bush in particular, but I firmly believe his administration and previous ties with baseball certainly had an affect on litigation and prosecution with these issues in recent years.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

edit....